• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Arcade Gamer's Galactic Space Lab of Work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I can say about this character so far is that he seems pretty shadeless. You really should try giving him some brightening and a bit more of detailing around the outlines. I also think he's way too small. From what I remember, he was around Tails' size, if not a little bit smaller.

Also, your Tails Doll feels a bit too out of character. I say this because of the fact that he can actually use his tails and actually walks instead of just floating. The problem with having him to fly is that it makes him exactly like Tails, gameplay wise. As for the walking, he's really mostly known for floating when moving around, and I can hardly imagine that he can use his feet to begin with. If you try to recreate the way he "walks" in Sonic R, then the character would already be more unique and distinct in here.

Another thing that's been bothering me is his eyes. You got the shape pretty much correct, but the problem in here is his pupils. Looking at this reference picture, you can tell that they're always pretty much centered:

Tails_Doll77.png

Not to mention that the ears in your sprites pretty much feel a bit too small, and the gem seems to be a little too low. You should lift up that gem a bit, at least in most of the animations. This is also just a suggestion, but you might want to add stitches to his body, but not way too big ones. One last thing would be that you forgot to give him his little fringe hair.

That's all I wanted to say. Keep in mind that while there's a lot to fix, this is pretty much my favorite attempt at a SRB2 Tails Doll I've seen. This is mostly because that, so far, this Tails Doll's appearance is the closest to the Sonic R design, and just feels really accurate, compared to the other full character attempts I had seen before. Your version and MonsterIestyn's sprite are my favorite ones so far. Shame that he had only made a single sprite, and it's very old even:

Civ5vOQ.png

If it's of any help, you could use his sprite as a reference. Except for his face, hands and legs, as those seem very oddly pixelated. If I get some time later on, I could help you on getting a good sprite design for your Tails Doll, but just one sprite.

I have to agree with Kat.

...for future reference, posts purely agreeing with another person you quoted count as "pointless" posts as well. Just letting you know.

Otherwise yeah, this Tails Doll of yours is unusual in that it makes the character look more cutesy. Maybe that's a good thing I guess? =P

I redesigned Tails Doll completely, making him more closely to his Sonic R appearance, but the shading looks ugly when he uses color's blue and orange, and he looks downright strange when he uses the white colour. Also hes about as tall as Tails.

15po7l5.jpg

This is how he looks like with the old pupils
wmayvp.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I need help with deciding how his gameplay will be like. Not Sonic R's gameplay though, in Sonic R the robot characters where just faster versions of their normal counterparts with better jumping. The Tails Doll WADs we had in the past had him just as one-frame floating through the stage.

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Motorroach, I need help making the walking frames, I want to try to recreate it like Sonic R's; where Tails Doll is dangling left and right

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

size comparison
15po7l5.jpg
28v7uaq.jpg
29zv8mc.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I would be able to get a decent recording of Tails Doll's walking. What I can suggest is that you either look at how he moves to Sonic R (rotating his body to the sides and swinging his limbs along) and see if you can recreate it properly. Of course, the side angles might be a little complicated, but I guess you'll get the idea of it as you go. Until then, you can use this for the front frame, as well for reference on how to shade the rest of the sprites and so on.

sJCzVzO.png

By the way, only apply the head stitches to angles that they would most likely be visible. You wouldn't really see much of them in a front angle.

Last edited:
Looks very promising. For abilities, you can use Sonic World for inspiration, and possibly come up with something new.

"In Sonic World, he pretty much played just like Tails."

Somewhat. Tails Doll also had a Curse ability. You also might want to come up with something new, due to Tails Doll being a badnik.

That looks fine, but I really suggest you change the hands and shoes. They look exactly the same as the front sprites.

Just imagine those shoes and hands being seen in a slightly different angle. For a sample, the stripes would certainly not look the same, and the vertical line in the middle of the shoes would be way more to the left. The shape of the shoes would also be seen differently, and this also applies to his arms as well. As for the gloves, the main focus to their angle change is the vertical line they have, so certainly they would be more rounded up and appear on the far left, instead of staying in the middle.

Also, the back of the head lacks a lot of shading and anti aliasing, and the stitch pixels stick out way too much, due to all of them using the same color.

Really, just give it a try yourself. You can't make a full character by relying on everyone else's help, otherwise you won't improve your sprite work.

Just imagine those shoes and hands being seen in a slightly different angle. For a sample, the stripes would certainly not look the same, and the vertical line in the middle of the shoes would be way more to the left. The shape of the shoes would also be seen differently, and this also applies to his arms as well. As for the gloves, the main focus to their angle change is the vertical line they have, so certainly they would be more rounded up and appear on the far left, instead of staying in the middle.

Also, the back of the head lacks a lot of shading and anti aliasing, and the stitch pixels stick out way too much, due to all of them using the same color.

Really, just give it a try yourself. You can't make a full character by relying on everyone else's help, otherwise you won't improve your sprite work.
Wait, did you comment this before I updated that comment?

Oops, I did.

It's looking better, but there's still the problem with the shoe stripes. If you want to know what I think, the shoe on the right (yes, our right) would probably look about the same as the shoe on the left.

Also, the stitches seem misplaced on one of the shoes. You might want to make them appear in the far left of both shoes.

Last edited:
Somewhat. When I said far left, I meant out left. The shoe that is on our right, you might want to move the point of it a bit more to our right. The stitches on the head look a little better now, but it still seems to lack a bit of green anti aliasing around it to look smoother.

Also, did he really have stitches on the side of his shoes? Can't remember that.

Also, did he really have stitches on the side of his shoes? Can't remember that.

I think he did, i'm not sure, you can barely find images online due to most of the images are tails doll curse bogus, and weird furry stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, TD creepypasta isn't scary. Go watch "how to make creepypasta stories NOT SCARY!" if you think it IS scary.

More like sh*ttypastas if you ask me.

Last edited:
Yeah, TD creepypasta isn't scary. Go watch "how to make creepypasta stories NOT SCARY!" if you think it IS scary.

More like sh*ttypastas if you ask me.

I call creepypastas "crappypastas", alot of them use the same, unoriginal cliche.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Also is this better? (I use GIMP and it doesn't have anti-aliasing)
ml465c.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that's looking better. I made a comparison with this sprite with the front one, and I noticed the ears are actually quite lower on yours, so you might want to drag them up a bit. One other thing that is bothering me is that his shoes don't have that the vertical lines in the middle.

Also, anti aliasing isn't a tool you use, it's a method for shading, and if you want to do sprites in SRB2 style, you will seriously need to learn it. Be sure to check these links for learning anti aliasing:

http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-6-anti-aliasing

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back