I need a drawing program

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizeman

u have my permission to die
Hello, I need a little help with my sprites. I am currently using MSpaint and it works fine except for re-sizing. What drawing programs should I use?

Last edited:
Hello, as some people know I am currently working on a nights wad but, I need a little help. What drawing programs should I use (I am currently using MSpaint and it works fine except for re-sizing). any help?
What I use that is more better than Paint is GIMP. It's kinda harder to understand thought since it's more advanced than Paint. If you Google it, you'll most likely find it. It's also free.

Last edited:
What is the problem with it? It looks okay to me except maybe the cyan outline and the pink spots on her hair. Is the problem one of those mistakes that I mentioned?
that's exactly it, where can I find the editing help part?

that's exactly it, where can I find the editing help part?
Well, the pink spots on your characters head are their because the color that is on those certain spots probably don't match SRB2's pallete. What some people do when they are spriting for SRB2 they have the pallete in the top left corner of there "workbench" and they make all the sprites on one picture. When they are done, they select the sprite copy and paste it to a smaller picture size so that the picture can only fit one sprite. Then they save it. That should fix the pink spots.

EDIT: The "Editing Help" section is on the MB but nethier I or you can move this topic to "Editing Help". We don't have to power to do it.

Last edited:
The reason those spots don't fit the pallete is because of the re-sizing problem with gimp, same goes for the cyan outline.

If you know what program you're using to re-size your sprites then ultimately you don't need a new "drawing" program.
The programs I've used to sprite my own works is MS Paint and Photoshop (and this is coming from my experience).
No need for fancy programs.

With that image you have I can see you've gotten unwanted cyan pixels around your image. This occurs because when you re-size your image you get a blurred effect from your pixels which is caused by anti-aliases.

What I've done in the past is I've taken my sprite back into MS paint on a different coloured background and manually edit away those blurred cyan lines.

Other than that, you're free to use Paint.NET http://www.getpaint.net/
I've not used it a lot myself, but since you're asking for a new drawing program, you could take a look at this.

Last edited:
Paint Tool SAI. Free and awesome. Has layers, blurring, linework layers, vectors, and much more - and only about 10MB.

Everybody in this thread is wrong and you should exclusively use GraphicsGale for spriting.
qqqqqqq

If you know what program you're using to re-size your sprites then ultimately you don't need a new "drawing" program.

Hinote is right, actually the art of spriting is not into the software, but into your knowledge of spriting. Remember that, after all, sprites are just sets of pixels. So it looks like the pencil tool of any drawing software should be your friend.

EDIT : Ah, I actually only learnt the pixel art, but I didn't practiced it yet, so you may be right.
However Monster Iestyn, I'm right about the pencil is the most accurate one to draw~

Last edited:
Often when I do pixel artwork I use both the pencil tool and line tool on MS Paint. On photoshop I use only the pencil tool.

The pencil tool does wonders in both programs though when it comes to pixel art and spriting.

With that image you have I can see you've gotten unwanted cyan pixels around your image. This occurs because when you re-size your image you get a blurred effect from your pixels which is caused by anti-aliases.
Is there any OTHER way of avoiding that besides manually doing it?

Is there any OTHER way of avoiding that besides manually doing it?

No, because anytime you scale a picture either smaller or larger, the anti-alias will apply because when you scale a picture it determines where the pixels will fill in. This applies when you're using an art program though, you cannot avoid it.

However, if you want to avoid doing things manually you could use MS Paint to resize your sprites without the anti-alias.

Here is a tutorial for you with pictures. I use MSPaint from Windows XP. I am sure you can download that anywhere.

1) First open up your sprite.

37172883.png

2) Image > Stretch/Skew

84395194.png

3) You'll get this window and now you're able to resize your picture by percentage. Here I made Hinote 150% bigger than her normal size.

82123170.png
10505892.png

4) Press OK and there you have it, resizing your sprite without that dreadful blurry mess.

65085167.png

5) Not done yet, make sure your picture saved is not a JPEG and you've selected what you wanted to resize using the selection tool or else you'd end up with this.

92753686.png

And you don't want that.

Hope that helps you out.

Alternatively, GraphicsGale will just resize it naturally without complaining or antialiasing because it is made specifically for pixel art and is better than other things.

Photoshop can also rescale without adding or mixing color by using "nearest neighbor" resampling instead of, say, bicubic. Gimp probably has something similar, and paint shop pro basically does it like this by default.

I just use Paint for my stuff. Image editors aren't what improve spriting, but the fancy options just allow for extra convenience. If you don't want the cyan edges, manually erase every part and stop being lazy, rather than looking for a whole new program.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back