REAL Sonic 1 port for the GBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
SonicTweaker said:
Forum topic: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=11861

Another fantastic technical achievement from the creator of Sonic: Project Mettrix, the E02 engine, and former co-leader of Team Megamix, Sonic hacking ninja extraordinaire Stealth breaks the barriers with another mindblowing breakthrough--a TRUE port of the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis to the Game Boy Advance!

As many know, there was an "official" attempt to "port" Sonic 1 to the GBA under the name "Sonic Genesis." However, this version of the game was, quite frankly, horrible--it was less a port and more a disgustingly inaccurate recreation. The physics were completely fucked, Sonic would go through walls, the music was ear-rapingly dreadful, among other things. It was a gigantic mess--probably the worst Sega product ever, and a disgrace to the Sonic brand.

However, Stealth seeks to redeem the Sonic name by taking it upon himself--and I mean a one man job--to do what Sega's paid 3rd party lackies could not: create a respectable, accurate, and true to the original version of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Game Boy Advance. As this video shows, the project was an absolute success!

Building on the concept of "anniversary mode," Stealth includes the acceleration system from Sonic 2, the spindash technique, and two additional characters--Tails and Knuckles--to enrich the Sonic experience on the new platform.

All music is using recordings of the original Genesis tunes, so accuracy is a high as it can get--none of that horrible Mircosoft Synth sound! The sound quality is a bit scratchy at points, both in sound effects and music, but that's a technical limitation of the GBA sound hardware itself. Aside from that, it delivers a very faithful representation of the music from the original game--after all, it's hard to go wrong with a recording, isn't it? =P

So far, the current build sports Green Hill Zone with all three of the characters, along with at least one working special stage. I'm not sure if any future work will be done beyond this proof of concept, but if it will, it's sure to exert the same amount of quality that this release does.

Sega, eat your heart out! :D

Sega just got royally pwned.
Also, lol to fangame in ROM format xD

EDIT:Fixed link

...and then the fans "dereenigne" (reverse engineered) it. So now we have this! I hope it employs Super in some way.

AshuraXDemon said:
The reason why SEGA's Sonic GBA sucked is that they lost their Source Code for Sonic 1 a long time ago.
That's an Crappy excuse. Stealth didn't have the source but still made this.
Sega sucks kthnksbye

AshuraXDemon said:
The reason why SEGA's Sonic GBA sucked is that they lost their Source Code for Sonic 1 a long time ago.

Hahahaha. Hell no. That is not the reason at all. It is because a third party made it and did a shitty job with it.

The GBA can only handle 64 sprites on screen at once, while the Genesis can hold 80. Also, the resolution of the GBA is not as large. I must be fairly decent at adapting to sudden framerate changes; I made it all the way to Labyrinth Zone on the Sonic 1 GBA.

I guess this proves more and more that Sega needs to hire their fans rather than who they did hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back