• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2: Chaotic Darkness: Demo2 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting hundreds and hundreds of monitors together like that isn't real good level design. It makes the level look needlessly complicated and overstuffed. Maybe just have it test your height and then lower the floor or something.

Not too bad. I especially like the hidden level and the Castle stage. However, I still say that you should use some more original level themes.

Ritz said:
Not too bad. I especially like the hidden level and the Castle stage. However, I still say that you should use some more original level themes.

I'm getting there. :| Later levels will take advantage of the new textures found in 1.09. Like the desert and steel ruin textures.

That factory stage looks pretty sweet. Definitely an imporvement over the first few wads you made. Oh, and I love the pipe maze.

FoxBlitzz said:
Putting hundreds and hundreds of monitors together like that isn't real good level design. It makes the level look needlessly complicated and overstuffed. Maybe just have it test your height and then lower the floor or something.
>_> When the monitors are the ONLY thing in the area, the small path which you walk on, 99% of which are Eggman boxes, is it still bad 'level design'? When the monitors ARE the level? And it'd certainly need a NiGHTS-like sprite draw distance to keep it from lagging horribly, of course, which would be rather cool looking, as though the path were appearing before you.

That's right, I finally released a demo. And I was even correct on my estimate of when it would come out, thanks to extreme laziness. >_> (If you're confused, look at my first post then at it's date.)

The link is on the first post, but if you're too lazy, you can get it here:

http://www.sepwich.com/srpgp/scr_chaoticdarknessdemo.zip

Here's a basic summery of the levels:

Lime Forest Zone (LFZ) Act 1 has hardly changed at all aside from the exclusion of the emerald token. Though it was revamped to fit new 1.09 features. Act 2 has been revamped a similar way, but what seperates Act 2 from Act 1 is the new "Emerald Portal". What this means is that you have to find a strange glowy portal in every second act and activate it. (Yes, very Mystic Realm-y but the similarity ends here.) Once activated, you'll get a message telling you a new exit has appeared and you must go through the act to find it. It's a glowy portal much like the Emerald Portal and once you step inside it, you're teleported to a new level in where you must find three emeralds and hidden tokens. More on this later. LFZ Act 3 has had a similar revamp, and is a lot more linear as it no longer features switches.

Crawla Factory Zone (CFZ) Act 1 hasn't changed much, aside from the new 1.09 features being implemented in it. Act 2 is brand new, a THZ2-esque level, but instead of slime, there's a LOT of conveyer belts and lasers and stuff. There are a few dramtic moments, such as spindashing through a coneyer belt under lasers, turrets and Detons. Finding the Emerald Portal here is much, MUCH more difficult than finding the one in LFZ2. I wish those who try and find it without cheating lots of good luck, they'll need it.

Rainy Ruins Zone (RRZ) Act 1 is also new, and features the new Black Crawla, which can only be seen in Hard mode. This level goes from calm storm to raining cats and dogs as you progress through the level. This level does indeed look beautiful from time to time, as you later progress up a mountain side. Once you finish this level, the game ends...

But there's more! There are two Emerald Stages which can only be accessed after finding the Emerald Portals in all the second acts. Each of the have three emeralds inside which must be collected to move on...but hold on. There are also Emerald Tokens hidden in the Emerald Stages, 2 in the first one and 1 in the second one. Upon completing the Emerald Stage with the tokens, you're teleported to a Special Stage where you'll have the chance at getting a Chaos Emerald. You can only get 3 at the moment because of the limitations of the demo but later on, as more versions get released you'll be able to get more emeralds. I apologize for the first two special stages as I didn't put too much thought into revamping them. (They were made at the time of 1.08) The third one however looks pretty good. The Emerald Stages are also rock hard, especially on the Hard mode, so be prepared.

That's about it. Oh! And be sure to read the Readme included in the ZIP.

...now I'm gonna get to bed. My fingers hurt from typing. X_X

...Why did you place a file with no extension inside of that zip? It took me a while to figure out what it was, and when I finally did, I was met with another oddity, you put a Zip file (with no extension) inside of another Zip file. Oddly enough, XWE can actually view the files inside a zip as lumps O.o

....O_o

Well then, thanks for pointing out my stupid error. >_> *Fixed*

EDIT: As it turns out, it was my Digibase host that did that to my Zip. So now the file's on Sepwich. :P Hooray!

I'm commenting. I seriously love this wad. Its so creative! To me, this is the best wad I've seen so far. Great job! :D

I'm actually quite impressed. This is actually the 1st time a coop wad has impressed me. More people SHOULD play this wad.

I'm sure he is. :) The rest are playing it now, maybe? I don't know.
What? Me? Play it? No. Sorry. >_> Bye. *walks away fast-like*

Alrighty, the lack of comments from me was due to actually making sure to find everything first.

Overall, I'm very impressed, but there is definite room for improvement.

Mainly, you use buttons way, way too much. Buttons are not good in a Sonic game, generally, and while I do occasionally use them (AGZ), I tend to try and make sure that it's for a specific reason. Crawla Factory especially seems to abuse buttons, and not for any real effect. Even having removed the buttons, Lime Forest 3 really shows its age. Might I suggest making a new one?

Also, I'm not sure if it's your fault or SRB2's fault, but the lack of emerald radar makes the emerald stages nearly impossible. I can't beat the first one, and the second one I beat out of total luck. I found the first emerald stage the first try, and the second one I found third try.

By far the most impressive map is the Rainy Ruins stage, however, it suffers from framerate drop. However painful it may be, you might have to remove precipitation to get a playable framerate. Needless to say, I was getting framerate drop on a 2.4 Ghz, so something is definitely wrong. A note that this framerate drop could be SRB2's fault, as I remember getting issues.

In general, I really like it. I was truly enjoying myself when I wasn't in the emerald stages. Quality material, especially Lime Forest and Rainy Ruins.

Mystic said:
Mainly, you use buttons way, way too much. Buttons are not good in a Sonic game, generally, and while I do occasionally use them (AGZ), I tend to try and make sure that it's for a specific reason. Crawla Factory especially seems to abuse buttons, and not for any real effect. Even having removed the buttons, Lime Forest 3 really shows its age. Might I suggest making a new one?

Buttons aren't liked I suppose but that would mean I'd have to remake CFZ1 completely over, as it would be really short without the buttons. :\ I guess I could still make it work. And I agree with LFZ3 but....I was lazy. :P I do plan on remaking it once I get a general idea on how I'm going to go about it.

Mystic said:
Also, I'm not sure if it's your fault or SRB2's fault, but the lack of emerald radar makes the emerald stages nearly impossible. I can't beat the first one, and the second one I beat out of total luck. I found the first emerald stage the first try, and the second one I found third try.

Yeah that's SRB2's fault. I mentioned it in the Suggestions and Help board and SSN told me it was indeed a bug and to put it in the bug reports. Warp to the stage by use of the MAP console command (The numbers are 60 and 61 if you need to know) and the radars will indeed be there. I really do hope it's fixed for 1.09.1 cause if it isn't, I'm totally screwed for future demos...

Mystic said:
By far the most impressive map is the Rainy Ruins stage, however, it suffers from framerate drop. However painful it may be, you might have to remove precipitation to get a playable framerate. Needless to say, I was getting framerate drop on a 2.4 Ghz, so something is definitely wrong. A note that this framerate drop could be SRB2's fault, as I remember getting issues.

So I'm not the only one who gets framerate troubles with precipitation. I do think it's SRB2's fault cause I get the same horrid framerate in CEZ1. I don't want to remove the precipitation as the name, Rainy Ruins, would lose it's meaning. :P But nevertheless, I'll remove it anyways. Probably best.

Mystic said:
In general, I really like it. I was truly enjoying myself when I wasn't in the emerald stages. Quality material, especially Lime Forest and Rainy Ruins.

Yay. ^_^ I impressed the maker of Mystic Realm, I must be onto something. :P

This is a methodical bump.

Whatever happened to this project? It was highly promising, but we haven't seen or heard anything about it in three months. Is this project still alive, or has it suffered the same fate as the rest of the good projects around here?

It is indeed still alive, I just haven't brought any of the actual updates here, lol.

If you want SOMETHING though, I'm rewriting CFZ1. Meaning no more buttons. :roll: Any suggestions?

Otherwise I've just been generally lazy. I also learned not to put my trust in busy people who offer their help despite having many other things to do. >_>

EDIT: And my userbars no longer work. =< *shot*

forgive me for sounding n00bish, but what does the black emerald do?

(btw, I will try the demo this weekend)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back