Slow-running computer when SRB2 shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan Ryan

Netcode Nancy
Every time SRB2 shuts down, everything starts going a lot slower. It takes forever for Task Manager to open, about 3 minutes for Firefox to start, 5 min. for IE, and about 45 seconds for the freaking master server launcher to close. I'm really getting tired of this. Does anyone have a practical solution?

How much RAM are you dedicating to SRB2? By default, the game will use 32MB, but you can increase this to use 64MB. When modern operating systems run low on physical RAM, they move program memory to a pagefile on the hard-drive, and when it needs to be accessed again, it's loaded back into physical memory. Since hard-drives are a lot slower to access than RAM, you experience sluggishness when you return to applications that you left idle. To solve this, get more RAM. That means you will be able to run more at once before the operating system goes into paging mode. Given today's operating systems, you should have at the very least 1GB of RAM, or 512MB with optimizations to the desktop environment.

Right click on "My Computer" > Properties. In the "General" tab, look at the section titled "computer:" In it, there should be something like this (In my case): 2.00 Ghz, 2.0 GB RAM

Yeah. 256MB of RAM with Windows XP is on the low side. You can get by with that, but most of it is used by XP before you even load any programs.

@FoxBlitzz: I don't think the OS matters when it comes to RAM. The computer itself comes with RAM, doesn't it?

@Sonict: Maybe I can just delete some unused programs that take up a lot of RAM.

I have 256mb RAM, and used to have 128mb, on an 800mhz processor, and my computer doesen't get the problems Kitsune described.

Yeah, I had 192mb RAM on my old XP-running computer, but it never had those issues after closing SRB2.

You shouldn't have a problem after playing SRB2. I'd look in the processes for the srb2win exe, it may not be closing properly and might still be running. srb2JTE does that to me sometimes when I press the jump button before SRB2 exits to skip the closing screen, as I can't wait 4 seconds for it to actually start closing. :P
Btw, I have a old Win98SE PC sitting next to my Vista PC that has 32 megabytes of RAM. It takes two minutes for SRB2 to load and I had to disable digital music so it wouldn't hiccup so bad, as Windows is using up the rest of the RAM. :P Although after SRB2 is closed, the computer runs fine and I can run Internet Explorer 4(lol) without waiting forever. I have also played SRB2 in a XP virtual machine with 64 megabytes of RAM and it ran comfortably. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back