Sega Expects Sonic's Quality to improve over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We got 1 good port to an iPhone! The phone gaming community loves us! We're on a roll!"

D00D64 said:
Yes, Sonic IS fast, but he needs to be less like Modern Sonic and more like...

...Like...

...Well, Mario. With SOME speed. Pretty much what Sonic always was, basically; Mario with speed and different physics.

For some reason, I find myself totally agreeing with this summary. Sonic 1 felt like that, in the least.

Drake Spyker said:
D00D64 said:
Yes, Sonic IS fast, but he needs to be less like Modern Sonic and more like...

...Like...

...Well, Mario. With SOME speed. Pretty much what Sonic always was, basically; Mario with speed and different physics.

For some reason, I find myself totally agreeing with this summary. Sonic 1 felt like that, in the least.

Are you kidding? Sonic 1 was HORRIBLE. There was barely any speed, and most of the zones just drag on FOREVER.

Oh caps ftw...

crazyhedgehog said:
Autosaver, you have filled me with such a rage that cannot be displayed via the internet.

I still don't find a way anyone would want to replay Sonic 1.

StarLight and Greenhill would be the only zones I would replay. :/

I never liked sonic 1 due to the lack of momentum in zones such as Marble Garden. I loved Sonic 2 for smoothly transitioning between Speed, Platforming and a little bit of Risk.

ZeldaGamer00 said:
I never liked sonic 1 due to the lack of momentum in zones such as Marble Garden. I loved Sonic 2 for smoothly transitioning between Speed, Platforming and a little bit of Risk.

This, I see no fun standing on a rock for half the stage.

I am still thinking the problem are the people that play this game, so far, I have not seen a single person that sees the game from the viewpoint of a gamer but in the viewpoint of a "fan" and Sonic is the only franchise I see that happen, 20 bucks that I will have over 5 people saying the opposite soon. But the people who call themselves "Sonic fans" are the same who always praise Mario games at first in the topics.

Forget Sonic 1 & 2, what about S3K?
Honestly, I literally grew up playing the PC port of S3K. It was one of the 3 games I ever played, and I loved it dearly. It was definitely my favorite game at the time, and it's stil my favorite Sonic game. Its only downfall was the infamous "barrel of death" in CNZ2. (I, and others, didn't know to use the up/down arrow keys instead of jumping on it.) But that and Sonic 3D Blast were my childhood.
Sonic 3D Blast was OK, but definitely not as good as S3K was. They changed the PC port drastically. (I played the original Genesis version on Sonic Mega Collection and it was entirely different.) I liked the music (Rusty Ruins FTW) and the gameplay was pretty solid, but, um, it just wasn't as good as S3K.
Anyway, if SEGA can create a 3D Sonic game that feels fast , has an interesting story, and doesn't have Sonic grunting and yelling every half-second (something I noticed watching a video of Unleashed), then more power to them.

Sonnarkku said:
I am still thinking the problem are the people that play this game, so far, I have not seen a single person that sees the game from the viewpoint of a gamer but in the viewpoint of a "fan" and Sonic is the only franchise I see that happen, 20 bucks that I will have over 5 people saying the opposite soon.

Heres your 20 bucks. I'm not going to lie, but I look forward to Sonic games like a fan. Not playing it.

crazyhedgehog said:
Autosaver, you have filled me with such a rage that cannot be displayed via the internet.

Or at least on this board. Trust me, if I got the chance...

While I think SEGA has kind of the right idea in mind, I honestly hope they don't think that it's automatically going to get better. I sometimes wonder how great the series would be if several members of SRB2's dev team and the better modders in this community got the chance to work on a Sonic game for the major consoles.

Or at least on this board. Trust me, if I got the chance...
Flamebait D:

I think they should make another Sonic Unleashed with full day time stages. ^_^
Edit:TBH, 5% of my posts probably have some mistakes.

I'll ignore the first part of your post, thank you.

Autosaver said:
I think they should make another Sonic Unleashed with full day time stages. ^_^

Wait wait wait, if they're going to make a Unleashed sequel that contain day stages and ONLY say stages, they really need to improve them. Even as thrilling as they were on the 360, they seemed to be, quite often, hold boost to win. Also, like Blue said in another topic (or this one, I don't remember), speed should be earned, it shouldn't just be automatically granted. Then again, that was the case with Secret Rings )kind of) and look how that turned out...

Simple. Remove boost, 90% of the speed pads, 90% of springs that automatically force you into a direction with no control input, "PRESS X TO NOT DIE" events, make the physics more like the older games, make paths less linear, add more precision platforming, and bring back spindash.

RECIPE FOR DELICIOUSNESS

Jellybones said:
2D retro styled Sonic could still end up a flop, you know.

It's 2d.

It's old school.

It's Sonic.

Put them together, and it's bliss.

HOW CAN THAT FAIL

...Oh yeah, forgot. The dev team sucks. All of them.

D00D64 said:
HOW CAN THAT FAIL
It wouldn't sell. A gang of vocal shellfish does not equal the millions of consumers that buy Sonic games. Sonic Team is doing the right thing by not listening to the fans. Japan probably does not have this same picky Sonic fandom the west does.

a bee said:
D00D64 said:
HOW CAN THAT FAIL
It wouldn't sell. A gang of vocal shellfish does not equal the millions of consumers that buy Sonic games. Sonic Team is doing the right thing by not listening to the fans. Japan probably does not have this same picky Sonic fandom the west does.

You have NO IDEA how huge the Sonic fan community is, do you?

Plus, it could be a download title for all I care. I just want something even CLOSE to resembling Sonic 4.

D00D64 said:
A game like Sonic can't really be done in 3D anymore.

This is absolutely untrue. Sonic has more potential with 3D than he ever did in 2D. Even in the classic Sonic games, one has to be careful with level design. Seeing where you're going is important when moving fast, and that's not 2D mode's strength. Furthermore, many gimmicks simply aren't even executable in 2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back