Official Level Design Contest Voting: July/August 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
glaber said:
Maby what we need is a community project. like for example a CIF (Community is Falling) mod sort of like what the Doom community has done.

O_O Are THEY having a flood of terrible WAD files as well?

On another note, thank you, Dark Warrior, for creating an actually worthwile 4-sector level for the contest. Look at all those sixes you got! :D

Simsmagic said:
I still don't think that the 10s on Awesome Zone should be counted.

Hey, if a level joins for the lulz, it's going to get ratings for the lulz. Just leave it be, for the lulz.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
O_O Are THEY having a flood of terrible WAD files as well?
Not so much a flood really, but they did have enough material to make CIF 3 (Latest Community is falling mod)

Waterfall Town Zone Act 1 by Superusuario - 1.59
Combination Zone by Superusuario - 1.13
I can't believe i just lost all the divisions i entered...I may enter my Freezing Nightmare Zone 1 for the next contest or the last contest of this Year...It's the 3rd Zone of Sonic's story of My newest mod...SRB2:World Adventure(Yeah...No Superusuario's Domain.)

I'd suggest bugging <Gman>Mr. Fox</Gman> about setting up the next contest topic before submitting it.

Superusuario said:
Waterfall Town Zone Act 1 by Superusuario - 1.59
Combination Zone by Superusuario - 1.13
I can't believe i just lost all the divisions i entered...I may enter my Freezing Nightmare Zone 1 for the next contest or the last contest of this Year...It's the 3rd Zone of Sonic's story of My newest mod...SRB2:World Adventure(Yeah...No Superusuario's Domain.)

Combination Zone was simultaneously unique and generic. If the idea had been executed by another, it could have been really cool. I wish I had actually been able to play these levels in a netgame. D: Mad props to you placing sky textures directly and having it look aesthetically correct.

He's taking a big nap.

Actually, really, he hasn't posted since the 9th, so perhaps another admin might want to fill in.

So, is Mr. Fox his new nickname now? :P

But to be honest, I see no urgency. It's not like a pre-voting topic really affects the quality of the levels.... or, at least, it shouldn't.

You're right, it shouldn't, but it does. My reasoning is that people who want to enter the contest and don't make a level for it without the topic need the notification or they wind up either making a crappy level, a decent level, a finished up version of a level that was suppose to be for the previous contest but missed it, or no level at all.

The amount of entries is also affected by how soon the pre-voting topic is posted as does FF's Stupid rule.

Oh and I call him Mr. fox out of a lack of respect. If I wind up looseing any more I'm not even going to call him that.

glaber said:
You're right, it shouldn't, but it does. My reasoning is that people who want to enter the contest and don't make a level for it without the topic need the notification or they wind up either making a crappy level, a decent level, a finished up version of a level that was suppose to be for the previous contest but missed it, or no level at all.

Well, really, they can just make a level without even thinking about the contest and then spontaneously decide it would be a good entry. Likewise, if there's not enough time, wait for the next contest. Though, I suppose I know what you mean there.

The amount of entries is also affected by how soon the pre-voting topic is posted as does FF's Stupid rule.

Regarding the pre-voting thing, I highly doubt that. I mean, sure, one or two people might not think about it without the pre-voting topic, but otherwise, people already know about the contest and will be making levels for it anyway.

As for... "FF's Stupid rule", what's your beef against it? I mean, really, one map by the same author per division is enough, and it encourages quality over quantity.

Oh and I call him Mr. fox out of a lack of respect. If I wind up looseing any more I'm not even going to call him that.

That's a strange way to spite someone. I don't understand why you can't just negotiate the problem with him.

While we're on the subject of 1-map-per-division thing, I have two things to say:

Firstly, I can understand that concept about single player maps. But as for multiplayer maps, it's entirely possible to have one done and want to do another and get criticism for both at the same time.

The other thing is that it's really stupid competing against yourself. Only one map is going to win, so why bother? Actually, I was planning on submitting two high-quality SP levels in at the same time, uniquely to make people think about which ones better. Except people are so overwhelmed by the scenery, people can't think about anything else and would just give both maps 10s. Har har. Silly me.

For multiplayer, I think that the restriction should change to two entries per author. Single Player can stay at one per author.

BZ4. your levels were so much better when they WEREN'T scenic. You have a natural ability to make a level pretty devoid of detail and still have it look completely awesome. Why not do that again?

BZ4. your levels were so much better when they WEREN'T scenic. You have a natural ability to make a level pretty devoid of detail and still have it look completely awesome. Why not do that again?
Two things about that:
The most prominent idea in my mind is that I've pretty much conquered making a level that plays without a hitch on the gameplay end. For the moment, I'm exploring implementing gameplay into the world, as opposed to making a world around the gameplay.

The other thing is that if I the only levels I made were NSZ over and over again, wouldn't it get boring? And wouldn't it be even worse if that's the only thing in my levelpack? I'm not trying to say that taking NSZ approach is bad (what approach was that, again?), I'm just trying to provide a different feel for every level. If you want to play a level that feels like NSZ1, go play NSZ1. This really shouldn't be that hard.

Although, on a similar note, I'm not looking forwards to Neo Aerial Garden Zone Act 2. (Insert Flame's "derailed" image here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back