The grand list of Freeware and Online games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arf

You've probably found yourself in the same situation as I have, so in the purpose of all of us helping each other, I've decided to start this list topic. It's simple really, just give links to Freeware games, and or freeware game lists (Such as The Independent Gaming Database).
As a little sidenote, this isn't a place to discuss particular games, that's why the videogame subforum exists, so if you want to discuss a game, you can make a thread about it. If you want to give a short description of it, or reply to encourage others to try said game, it's fine, as long as it doesn't turn int a conversation dedicated solely to that game.
With all that said, let the games, BEGIN.

The Independet Gaming Source - Really, this ought to be self explanatory, but in case you aren't aware, this site is dedicated to news of the Indie scene. There are tons of links to free games and some amazing insight into the whole shebang. Home to the so called "Compo"s, competitions in which people make games under certain guidelines. The latest one as the time of writing is "Adult/Educational games" so be careful around those posts, as they might be a bit too risqué, even if the aim is to be funny. Edit: Well, okay, the Adult / Education compo has been over for a long time. Still, there might be some risque content over there, so browse that site in moderation. -Blitzzo

The Indie Game Database - Now this is where the fun starts to concentrate. The name gives it away, it's a database of indie games, you can search by tags and find new games almost constantly, check it out.

Jay is Games - You've probably seen this one already, these guys review casual and online games. They have a big catalog of reviews, which means a stroll down the archives could lead you to 5 hours of mindless playing.

Kongregate - This one is a typical flash game site, not unlike Newgrounds. This one has the difference that it has badges, which are like achievements for select quality games. Addictive!

DigiPen Institute of Technology - This is a school focused on graphics design, computer software, but most importantly, games. This is the place where the Portal crew were found, so it means that it's full of innovative and crazy games. If you have a good computer, and want a new experience, definately get in here.
Experimental gaming to the max!

Trackmania - A gravity defying racing game with many players from this community. You can get a free version sans customization features, which leaves you with nothing but the core game. Of course you can play custom maps and all.

Ok, that's as much as I can remember, so you guys go on and add more, so we can all keep on playing!

Last edited by a moderator:
QUAKE Live - http://www.quakelive.com/ - Web-based version of QUAKE 3, free to download and play, with some weapon alterations and what have you.

Dark Reign (abandonware) - http://www.darkreign.ws/ - An old Real-Time Strategy released around the days of StarCraft that couldn't quite compete. Comparatively more macro-heavy than the latter, so probably easier to play for most. The campaign is incredibly difficult however.

Gunz: The Duel - http://gunz.ijji.com/ - A third-person shooter with some basic RPG elements, you'll want to spend some time and effort learning how to exploit the game's many bugs to make it very competitive later on, such as with K-style.

There's a few classics.

Popcap.com: Peggle, Plants vs. Zombies, Bejeweled, all those future and current franchise.

Iji- A Metroidvania type game that really fucks with your mind.

MSN Games- A good place to look, don't expect anything good. It used to be the home of the Zone online gaming service, until MS closed it.

Air rivals: http://www.airrivals.net/
A free to play MMO where you fly Advanced planes and shoot the riveling nation out of the sky (You can also pick a flying tank), the main thing about this game is that you can pick between 2 nations, and you can elect someone to be in the lead of that nation for 1 month, so on some months your beating the other nation to a pulp, and the next your running for your life. Its free but you can pay money for extra features.

Warsow. A fast paced shooter based on the Quake 2 engine. Most servers are UK/German, but you'll have no lag if you live in the US due to anti lag. Avoid people who believe instantly high pingers lag more, however, as that is usually not true here. http://www.warsow.net

Kobo Deluxe - Multi-directional side-scrolling shooter where you assault membrane-shaped enemy bases. You have to shoot the tips of the branches while avoiding other enemies, and ultimately shoot the core of each base to get to the next level. Its concept is simple but it's quite a devilish game.

Anything by Nifflas - Games that focus on atmosphere, high quality music, exploration, and tricky jumping maneuvers. Within a Deep Forest has you controlling a bouncing ball which you must dribble to get through areas and collect new materials that affect how you move. Knytt is a maze-like game where you explore atmospheric locations looking for parts to your crashed spaceship. Knytt Stories is a more action-oriented variant of Knytt that includes a level editor for the creation of new worlds. Definitely worth checking out.

Tile World - An open source Chip's Challenge emulator that can mimic both the Microsoft and Lynx rulesets with high accuracy (minus one or two rather obscure glitches). For those who have never played the original game, Chip's Challenge was a puzzle game where you had to collect chips, avoid monsters, and solve puzzles in a top-down world in order to reach the exit. You can use Tile World to play the original levels in a cross-platform environment with automatic saving of replays. If you don't have the original levels, you can still play a large number of free level sets (in particular, CCLP2, which is available as a bundled download).

Glider - Old Windows 3.1 game where you maneuver a paper plane through a house, using air vents and candlesticks to stay off the ground, avoiding hazards and collecting items, in an attempt to escape outside. There seems to be an issue with slow transitions in newer versions of Windows. Strangely, it's fixed for me when I have Multimedia Fusion open, so try something similar.

As you can see, there's lots of retro/indie-styled goodness.

supersonic45 said:
but you'll have no lag if you live in the US due to anti lag.

Lag compensation techniques are not a magical solution to lag induced by high ping. The best way to avoid lag is... surprise, surprise! To have low ping!

Yume Nikki- http://rs75.rapidshare.com/files/104712976/yn0.10enginstaller.rar
I love it. Mindless exploration and ambient yet creepy places. You either see it as the most horrible game ever or the most beautiful piece of art ever made. I LOVE it.

Stepmania- http://www.stepmania.com/
DDR/PIU simulator. You download songs to it. Also if you search enough you can find support to other music games like pop'n and PPP.

Um... I'll find more. I've got countless rhythm games, but SM's good for now.

Osu! - A Elite Beat Agents clone with a nice beatmap approval team means that next to zero low-quality beatmaps get approved.

Battlefield Heroes - A "free-4-play" multiplayer only shooter with cartoon graphics that runs well on older computers, along with a run-n-gun style damage system means that this will last you for quite a while.

Endless Alice (Download) - A short touhou fan-game with classic mario bros style gameplay.

Spelunky - (Authors description below)
Derek said:
Probably the easiest way to describe Spelunky is that it's (kind of) like La Mulana meets Nethack - every time you play the levels, items, monsters, and so forth, are all procedurally-generated. And the terrain is destructible and there are quite a few ways in which the various game elements can interact with one another.

My goal was to create a fast-paced platform game that had the kind of tension, re-playability, and variety of a roguelike. In roguelikes, the gameplay tells the story, and I wanted to give Spelunky that type of a feeling... but make the player rely on their reflexes rather than their brain (or knowledge of what 50 billion command keys do!). If there's a best of both worlds, that's what I was trying to go for.

Tremulous - A very fun multiplayer shooter game where two teams (Aliens and humans) fight each other. Humans gain "credits" when they kill stuff, which allows the to buy new weapons and equipment from the armory, such as jet packs and flamethrowers, while aliens get "evolution points" which they can use to take on more powerful forms. Aliens can also do stuff like walk on ceilings and walls.

BYOND (Build Your Own Net Dream) (Download) - It's basically an online game making thingy, with it's own - very easy - coding. You can join BYOND also to just play. Some of the games on there allow you to use your own icon. (AKA Avatar)

Quake Li- Nowait, that one's been said.

Instant Action (Sorry! Shut down!) - This currently has 8 free games in total. (I heard one was like Halo.) I've only played Marble Blast Online and ZAP, but the graphics on there are so good, you'll be amazed. (Except ZAP. That one is supposed to have basic graphics) I'm not usually one for good graphics

ASCIImator (Online) - Okay, this isn't a GAME, but it fits here. It's basically an online movie maker...in Text. You make all the movies out of ASCII characters. Most people just use the letters on the keyboard. You can also watch the many ASCII movies out there. (Just remember to select "Publicate" if you want everyone to see it!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back