• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

New SSBB Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this is sepuse to be a coded modification that allows you to use fists etc or just SRB2's weapons, or maybe its about the Subspace adventure?

So uh, wtf am I looking at here? You've pretty much failed to describe this thing at all, other than it's "SSBB-like".

Come on, we just started it.

It's the subspace adventure, but we dont know if srb2 themed levels or original.

and some race, match levels, (we are "getting" some ideas for other levels)

srb20002d.png

sonic1brawl-2.png

...and you thought this would be a good idea to make in SRB2 becaaaaaaause...?

We all know how Spazzo's Smash Bros-ish mod idea went. Not pleasent.

Last edited:
SRB2 Wiki said:
Be extremely careful when importing gimmicks from other games. What's good in another game isn't necessarily good in SRB2. Taking an idea from another game can frequently work in SRB2, but make sure the idea actually plays well in SRB2. If the gimmick doesn't translate cleanly to SRB2, don't use it. For example, gimmicks from other Sonic games which involve gathering momentum down slopes will translate very poorly, as there is no slope support in SRB2 and all that could be done is a "pseudo-slope" staircase that does not actually do anything to the player's momentum. Similarly, loops can be simulated with FOFs and a Zoom Tube, but they usually end up being pointless, as the player has no control while he is in the loop.

You seem to have completely ignored this sage piece of advice. SSBB is a totally different game than SRB2, with a totally different purpose, physics, mechanics, and what have you. SRB2 doesn't even have slopes, let alone a fighting system that would work even remotely like Brawl. Just about any gimmick or visual you care to name in Brawl is impossible in SRB2. Indeed, just about any attempt to port another game into SRB2 turns out terrible. In my opinion, the only ports that ever truly worked were SRB2Riders, SA2B, and the 1.09.4-era Super Mario 64 level clones.

As far as emulating the Super Smash Bros. series in SRB2, SSB:SS is the gold standard. It had intensive soccing, EXE modding, and all kinds of elaborate work put into it that, in all honesty, I don't think you stand a chance of matching. In fact, even with all that work, SSB:SS was still rather awful...it's just that everything else was even worse.

So, yeah. Just give up this whole stinking idea of porting a game with completely incompatible mechanics, and think of something original, which takes full advantage of SRB2's distinct abilities.

I'm almost speechless at what a bad idea I think this is.
Don't get me wrong, but why don't you make something else...? Like, something that isn't from another game. Really. Please.

All you guys who say this is a bad idea, this is your opinion... If he wants to make a SSBB mod then he can if he wants...

All you guys who say this is a bad idea, this is your opinion... If he wants to make a SSBB mod then he can if he wants...

No he can't, unless he takes up coding. And even then, it will probably not work out. Also, just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. You CAN jump off a bridge or jack an old lady's purse or smash your face in with a hammer, but SHOULD you?

...Whatever happened to Super Smash Brothers Sonic Showdown A.K.A. version 1.33.7?

Already mentioned. Due to it basically being a watered down experience (No A moves? What?) and Brawl being released partway, and Melee still being... Melee, it was discontinued.

I still don't get why people are taking off theyre links to old wads. Now we can download every version of srb2 in the archives, but can't get any modifications of them. It's kind of pissing me off :C

No he can't, unless he takes up coding. And even then, it will probably not work out. Also, just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. You CAN jump off a bridge or jack an old lady's purse or smash your face in with a hammer, but SHOULD you?

What is it with people on this board overreacting to all these wads in progress? Is this in any way affecting you negatively? The guy posted for constructive criticism and help, but all I ever seem to see are harsh generalizations and doubt. Give 'em a chance, and maybe, just maybe, he can create something great. Sure as hell won't happen with people putting one another down from the start.

I doubt it, because he said it will be SSBB-like, (Now I'm not a coding expert but,) there is no way he can emulate all the things SSBB does.
Slopes
Fighting style
Sprites
(That would take a lot of sprites to give Sonic all those moves. Oh don't forget about Tails, Knuckles and at least 7 other characters, IF all characters take 500+ sprites for each moveset that's about 35,000 frames for everyone. don't forget about items sprites!)
Netcode (...Bwahahaha! Need I say more?)

If anything, he could only do the adventure mode stages and that wouldn't even work well.

Last edited:
With that much effort, it would be better to just code SSBB all over again from scratch, anyways.

And seeing as he hasn't been here in a while, I think our good friend Nero the Armadillo isn't coming back at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back