Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
For those of you who don't know, minecraft is a cube-based mining game being made by a retired game developer. The free version (the one that everyone can play) is essentially just sandbox; where you explore around and build and destroy blocks. There's also a free survival mode where you're pitted against 4 types of monsters, but it's not all that great.
minecraft_goty22.png

It's not a very fun solitary experience, however. There's a multiplayer mode, and that's where the fun kicks in. You have to sign up in order to play (which is free of course), and the gameplay is essentially an epic game of legos. In just about any server you can find some really amazing things:
rghjones-4.jpg

This one's for Kyasarin:
sabuteur-2.png

Typical day in a minecraft server: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlEMNIJGThM

All of this building is all for it's own sake however, and like legos: people will pick it up and play for a while, then get bored and never touch it again. However, there are those (like me) who will dive right in and have a blast creating and destroying cooperatively with random people online.

And that's just creative mode.

The game will go pay-only sometime in the future, and if you buy now at half price, you get to try out the latest builds and keep the game forever. No paying for future versions.
This is one game that I actually bought, and I personally think it's worth it. Nicknamed /indev/ (short for "in development"), this is where the real meat of the game is:
24310034.png

This version comes complete with a night/day cycle, farming, lighting, and monsters (only spawn at night and in dark areas). Click to see the full image.

There's also an infinite map generator which can produce some very interesting landscapes:
352llxu.png

None of these features are in multiplayer yet, but they will be soon for those who bought the game. Imagine it. People building giant villages cooperatively complete with farms and castles and etc, all in an infinite environment. I think it's pretty cool. But hey, what are you waiting for? See for yourself!

http://minecraft.net/

Ehh, felt too lazy to bump and put a massive post like this one. It's kind of obnoxious.

Its in its alpha. 50% off.

How much is it? I clicked buy now but I really don't feel like making an account ATM.

Only real problem is how long it takes to get from one side of the map from the other. Other than that, hours upon hours of playtime.

We DO have a SRB2 minecraft server, me and yoshibot were given admin rights to look over it(Sonict ran it), however I doubt either of us is on it these days.

It's 9.99 euros, which comes out to be about 13 dollars. If it's your kind of game, I'd say it's completely worth it. Especially since it's half off now. You can make an account for free to get into creative multiplayer though.

EDIT: I remember the SRB2 server. Conic and spazzo made a cool castle and then it got destroyed. I visited a big while back to find the entire server in shambles, however.

Last edited:
Slowdown's a bit of an issue for me, and I keep getting hurt while attacking zombies, but other than that, this isn't half bad.

Just press F to toggle fog, there are different levels that should make it work fine. I need to have 2 layers because my computer sucks >_>

Also, for the free survival mode, it's good to keep in mind that brown mushrooms give you health, and that tab lets you shoot arrows.

I'd play it. A little busy indulging myself in the realms of TF2, but I'd check it out soon, since this is my kind of thing anyway.

I play this, it's fun. What will be fun is the Multiplayer survival mode, which will have that Infinite maps from what I heard.

wasn't there a thread for this already?
Nevermind, I really wish I had 15 YOU ESS bucks right now, but I sadly lack that anad any online payment method is, for now, a bit far from my reach. But boy, do those light effects look pretty and those infinite worlds amazing, but the problem is that after exploring for a while, the RAM usage goes through the roof, and I wonder what kind of horrible any aved game could be.

wasn't there a thread for this already?
Nevermind, I really wish I had 15 YOU ESS bucks right now, but I sadly lack that anad any online payment method is, for now, a bit far from my reach. But boy, do those light effects look pretty and those infinite worlds amazing, but the problem is that after exploring for a while, the RAM usage goes through the roof, and I wonder what kind of horrible any aved game could be.

Read the second post. :P Yes, there was.

All I can say is:

Buy this game. It's worth so much more than just $15.

ezrako.png

Woah, some people made a mod where the trees grow huge. Giant treehouse bases would be awesome. I just imagine an entire village living within the leaf canopy, bridges from trunk to trunk.

EDIT:
mineferno.png

Fires might be a bit of a problem.

Awesome tree mod is awesome *shot*

Anyways, the Notch ( the guy who is making the game) is intending to use that Tree thing to some amount, I'm going to try and post some pics here when I get the chance

The game is extremely fun and dynamic. You'll have fun as long as you keep setting up projects for yourself, as there's really nothing much else to do.

Last edited:
You know, this only makes me want to play dwarf fortress more and make a topic about it.
And it makes me want to finally get Minecraft.

This actually looks pretty cool. This would be a blast playing with some friends online. I guess I'll make it priority to download soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back