SRB2 Doom Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you select Save Map As... it does the Save Map Into... function and the Save Map Into.. menu selection Exports the map....additionally, the Export Map selection does nothing. To continue this trend, Save Map Saves the Map AS. x_x

Actually no, it seems to just abruptly end there. Close Map does what it's supposed to, as well as the others above it.

r14

JJames19119 said:
When you select Save Map As... it does the Save Map Into... function and the Save Map Into.. menu selection Exports the map....additionally, the Export Map selection does nothing. To continue this trend, Save Map Saves the Map AS. x_x
Uh... oops. :oops: When I added Switch Map, I didn't make a sufficiently thorough job of updating the menu-item indices. Thanks for pointing that out. Since I imagine this could get very annoying very quickly, here's r14: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/builder_srb2-r14.zip. A couple of other small things also made it in:
Code:
! File menu behaviour was messed up.
! Flipping was broken following a rotation while pasting.
! Linedef merging was broken following a rotation while pasting.
+ The error-checker now picks up crossed linedefs.

I was wondering just now, how much effort would need to go into compiling SRB2 DB to run under Linux? There seem to be no map editors available that I know of for Linux, and DB is the only one I know of that's open source. I ask because, as of recently, my Windows installation has been incredibly unstable and I have thus been stuck over on SUSE with nothing to do. Also, since SRB2 is easily compiled for Linux, it seems only right to have the finest wad utilities available as well.

Tets said:
I was wondering just now, how much effort would need to go into compiling SRB2 DB to run under Linux?
Unfortunately, the frontend's written in Visual Basic, so porting it would really require a rewrite in another language. It might just work with WINE, but that's likely to be flaky at best. I don't have a Linux installation handy at the minute (except RedHat 4.1 on my 486, but that doesn't count), but I imagine I will do soon, at which point I'll try it out, and possibly work on improving its compatibility.

Is there a way to get an extra field or two for various items? For instance, set it up so that certain things can have extra variables? I.E., for a ring monitor, be able to set up how many rings it can hold. The game code may need to be edited for stuff like this, but it could be pretty cool.

Nothing to see here

Antiporcupine said:
Is there a way to get an extra field or two for various items? For instance, set it up so that certain things can have extra variables? I.E., for a ring monitor, be able to set up how many rings it can hold. The game code may need to be edited for stuff like this, but it could be pretty cool.
Yeah, the game'd have to be modified for that to work. If at any point in the future the game supports it, it would be pretty straightforward to add a textbox. However, I doubt that'll happen, since I imagine you can often achieve the desired effects using SOCs. Although, it would affect ALL the things of a given type. Unless you created a new thing, which I think you can... Not much SOC experience here, as you might have gathered. :)

KingofFlames said:
The FoF editor won't come up for me in 3D mode anymore =\.
I changed that behaviour several builds ago. If you really want the dialogue, point at a FOF and press the FOF Setup key (assign one if you haven't already). I changed this in favour of making FOF editing consistent with normal sector/sidedef editing. For example, if you want to change the top texture, point at the top of the FOF and click it. You can also change heights by using the mouse-wheel.

Somewhat annoyingly, I just tried bringing up the FOF dialogue in 3D mode, and while it did work, it crashed when I cancelled it. >_< I'll look into this. I'm planning to release a new build today or tomorrow anyway.

r15

Sorry for the double post, firstly.

New build this evening: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/builder_srb2-r15.zip. Alpha, keep backups; don't overwrite anything you don't want to. Mostly bugfixes, but there's a new feature I'd like to canvass opinion of. New this time:

Code:
! Splitting very small sectors resulted in incorrect sector references. This
  also affected stair conversion.
+ Shortcut key for identical sector search.
! Rounding error in crossed linedef detection.
! Crash in 3D browser when no textures/flats currently used in map (cf. 20/01).
+ If no tex/flats used when texture browser opened, all are displayed.
! Floating flag was ignored for FOFs that didn't crumble.
! Colourmap colour chooser always started with black.
+ Selected linedef info shown in main window (not just on hover).
! Changing flats using the FOF dialogue in 3D mode didn't update the display
  correctly.
! Cancelling the FOF dialogue in 3D mode crashed.
+ Sidedef textures can be changed from the main window.
! Renderer no longer crashes in Wine. Still can't load wads, though.
+ Selected sector info shown in main window (not just on hover).
+ Sector flats can be changed from the main window.

The aforementioned new feature pertains to texture and flat selection. Originally, texture (and flat-, but I'll just say 'texture' from now on) information was displayed when you hovered the mouse over a linedef or sector. If no object was being pointed at, no info was shown, even if there were selected objects.

Now, information is shown about selected items, too. However, if you're hovering over something and also have a selection, the hover will take precedence. This is why I'm keen to gauge opinion -- you have to be a little more on-the-ball to work out what objects the information relates to, and I'm not sure whether the benefits of this system outweigh the possibility of mild confusion.

The point of changing all this was to allow a quicker method of changing textures: you can now click directly on the preview of the texture to change it, rather than going through the Linedef or Sector Setup dialogue boxes, saving some clicks.

I've also started work on improving compatibility with Wine. Versions prior to this one crashed when initialising the renderer. This is now fixed, which allowed me to discover that you can't load maps (and probably can't save them, either; haven't tried). It's progress, though. Have some screenshots:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/wine1.png
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/wine2.png

Not bad, I like the new feel now. With a bit of effort, you could probably make it to where every area is editable in the main window. You'd never have to open a dialog again. :P

can you make it so that when your doing the:
"typeoflevel" in the mainCFG you can do, a number + another number and when you close the window, it automatically adds it up, then when youclick back into the MainCFG you'll see that the numbers are what you wanted, only added up

I suggest gamepad support, if possible. Like, button 2 can be to select or make a linedef, the stick(s) could be the cursor, and so on. If it's possible, it'd be nice.

Yeah, but I'd find it easier to use a gamepad. Typing excluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back