scr_SummerValley Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! Finally, after a long time, I end a map and show here.
Now I will show the Summer Valley zone (Neo Green Hill Zone) , the first level of my future pack.
Its small, I know XD
Ok, enjoy and coment ^^

PS: The boss is a edited version of Eggmobile, called EggTree.

Attachments

• scr_neogreenhill.zip
    59.1 KB · Views: 529
  • srb20155.png
    srb20155.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 629
  • srb20156.png
    srb20156.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 553
  • srb20157.png
    srb20157.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 511
  • srb20158.png
    srb20158.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 555
  • srb20159.png
    srb20159.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 571
  • srb20160.png
    srb20160.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 518
  • scr_neogreenhill1.2.zip
    72 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
Oh, for the love of...

Is everyone who uses the GHZ textures completely incapable of not filling his level with boxy square platforms!?

I feel like someone could really do some awesome stuff with these textures, but nobody has done so yet. These levels are, for the most part, distinctly devoid of action. It's just running and basic platforming. The most exciting thing that ever happens is the use of springs.

And half of your platforms are just rectangles; this makes your level look horribly unnatural. Take a look at GFZ2...it is the best demonstration you can see of naturally sculpted terrain and ledges of the type you should be using.

Also, that boss was laughably easy, because he has no defense whatsoever. Unlike normal Eggman, he has no way of fleeing from you after he gets hit. This means that you can just keep slamming him over and over and over and over, and he won't get a chance to counter with his rapid-fire Turret shots.

I'd also recommend making the tree canopy intangible from below.

Well, I'm a little for and cons for Fawfulfan. There are true.

By Fawfulfan :
These levels are, for the most part, distinctly devoid of action. It's just running and basic platforming. The most exciting thing that ever happens is the use of springs.

Hmm ... for me, the style at Green Hill etc. should not be too violent. However, it's true, you use a little too much spring.

By Fawfulfan :
Also, that boss was laughably easy, because he has no defense whatsoever. Unlike normal Eggman, he has no way of fleeing from you after he gets hit. This means that you can just keep slamming him over and over and over and over, and he won't get a chance to counter with his rapid-fire Turret shots.

I'd also recommend making the tree canopy intangible from below.
The boss has a good difficulty. Being on small areas, continuous shooting is correct.
But yes, you should replace the FOF 100 of the shaft by a FOF 140. It will be much nicer for the player, you'll see.
Some small problems that I found ...

srb20009.png

I start this cheakpoint in falling.

srb20010.png

I do not find spring !

srb20011.png

Poppup turet in a Green Hill Zone ?

srb20012.png

You have to vary the textures.

srb20014.png

Very bad, this.
As the saying WIKI, Sonic can not defend themselves when he is in the "position of spring ".
Place an enemy when Sonic has finish his jump is unfair.

srb20015.png

You're exaggerating a bit with water. Water should decorate GHZ, and don't create large seas or the player can enter.

I'm amused in your levels.
I like your level design.
There is a professional side, such as creating currents that I saw somewhere.
I await impatiently the level pack!

Thanks for rate guys! Now, let me see...

These levels are, for the most part, distinctly devoid of action. It's just running and basic platforming. The most exciting thing that ever happens is the use of springs.

Its Green Hill zone style, dont have much Actions and "blood"

Ok, at this point you right. Next Update, I will try to edit it ^^

But yes, you should replace the FOF 100 of the shaft by a FOF 140. It will be much nicer for the player, you'll see

Thanks, I never see this FOF before.

I start this cheakpoint in falling

Fixed XD

I do not find spring !

Yea its have, look first plataform. But now fixed, next Update will have on entry of Sector ^^

Poppup turet in a Green Hill Zone ?

Oh, sorry XD Fixed

You have to vary the textures.

Ok, next Update will by diferent XD

Very bad, this.
As the saying WIKI, Sonic can not defend themselves when he is in the "position of spring ".
Place an enemy when Sonic has finish his jump is unfair.

I maked best, I deleted spring and added a plataform

You're exaggerating a bit with water. Water should decorate GHZ, and don't create large seas or the player can enter.

Really? Because for me looks good. Remember: Water need to go for one Place

I'm amused in your levels.
I like your level design.
There is a professional side, such as creating currents that I saw somewhere.
I await impatiently the level pack!

Thanks, its good to see it 8D

Not bad, but for the first zone it's not very green hill zoneish. Most of the level is water based which isn't bad, but for a level like this it's not too great.
You need to vary your textures, I suggest you look at Flourished Canyon for the best representation on how to use the textures.

The layout isn't too bad, the first room in act 1 is all right but after you take the spring onto the fof (with a highly evil enemy waiting to knock you bad down), you continue into a room placed above a deathpit. Why can't you have a shallow floor, it's the first level at least have some form of difficulty curve please! You then enter a tunnel which turns your eyes inside out because all the textures are the same, not to mention it's a very square tunnel which is rather bland.

Afterwards is the sector which get higher as you progress upwards, to this I have three questions.
1) Why is the floor so low? Make it shallow, at least you wont be afraid to explore it to reach the monitors down there.
2) What is with the giant water fall? I don't get why there's this massive water fall right there, you could place some nice platforming or flat sectors there to add some point to the extra space.
3) Why are all the wall textures the DAMN SAME!?!? It's not like I have a problem with the texture, but when it's just about EVERYWHERE in the level alongside the floor textures it's absolutely horrid to see.

So you fall into a box with water and crawlas, run into a yellow spring (why not blue?) and run through ANOTHER box with crawlas in and then run into surprise, surprise, another box with WATER and CRAWLAS.

The crawlas are in stupidly large numbers, plus you don't take advantage of the walls and floors to variate your level, if the level didn't rely on springs and enemies to make it exciting and used some nicer platforming and sectors you'd have a better level.

The second act is shorter. There is better platforming, but that isn't good as you're still using springs to push the player into Crawla ridden sectors. It's still the same, water based, crawla ridden, boxy, eye murdering textured level (with an evil final room). So yeah.

Act Three, Meh. Can't even elaborate.

In a short summary:
- Vary your textures, (I again highly recommend Flourished Canyon as a good example).
- Make the levels less 'Boxy'.
- Remove the constant flatness of the level, add ups downs, bumps, slopes and so on.
- Stop using springs to thrust the player onto Crawla ridden sectors which just push the player back down.
- Stop spamming the Crawlas.
- Don't rely on water so much, this isn't DSZ you're meant to be running on the 'Green Hills'
+/- Nice secret caves but don't add emblem tokens all the time as rewards.
+ I was (scarily) amused by this zone however.

Ouch, reading back I may have been slightly over the top, but passionate all the same.

Not bad, but for the first zone it's not very green hill zoneish. Most of the level is water based which isn't bad, but for a level like this it's not too great.
You need to vary your textures, I suggest you look at Flourished Canyon for the best representation on how to use the textures.

The layout isn't too bad, the first room in act 1 is all right but after you take the spring onto the fof (with a highly evil enemy waiting to knock you bad down), you continue into a room placed above a deathpit. Why can't you have a shallow floor, it's the first level at least have some form of difficulty curve please! You then enter a tunnel which turns your eyes inside out because all the textures are the same, not to mention it's a very square tunnel which is rather bland.

Afterwards is the sector which get higher as you progress upwards, to this I have three questions.
1) Why is the floor so low? Make it shallow, at least you wont be afraid to explore it to reach the monitors down there.
2) What is with the giant water fall? I don't get why there's this massive water fall right there, you could place some nice platforming or flat sectors there to add some point to the extra space.
3) Why are all the wall textures the DAMN SAME!?!? It's not like I have a problem with the texture, but when it's just about EVERYWHERE in the level alongside the floor textures it's absolutely horrid to see.

So you fall into a box with water and crawlas, run into a yellow spring (why not blue?) and run through ANOTHER box with crawlas in and then run into surprise, surprise, another box with WATER and CRAWLAS.

The crawlas are in stupidly large numbers, plus you don't take advantage of the walls and floors to variate your level, if the level didn't rely on springs and enemies to make it exciting and used some nicer platforming and sectors you'd have a better level.

The second act is shorter. There is better platforming, but that isn't good as you're still using springs to push the player into Crawla ridden sectors. It's still the same, water based, crawla ridden, boxy, eye murdering textured level (with an evil final room). So yeah.

Act Three, Meh. Can't even elaborate.

In a short summary:
- Vary your textures, (I again highly recommend Flourished Canyon as a good example).
- Make the levels less 'Boxy'.
- Remove the constant flatness of the level, add ups downs, bumps, slopes and so on.
- Stop using springs to thrust the player onto Crawla ridden sectors which just push the player back down.
- Stop spamming the Crawlas.
- Don't rely on water so much, this isn't DSZ you're meant to be running on the 'Green Hills'
+/- Nice secret caves but don't add emblem tokens all the time as rewards.
+ I was (scarily) amused by this zone however.

Ouch, reading back I may have been slightly over the top, but passionate all the same.

Ok, ok. What a big post O.o
Now, I edited Neo Green Hill Zone Act 1. See the images.

Attachments

• srb20165.png
    srb20165.png
    141 KB · Views: 787
  • srb20166.png
    srb20166.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 735
  • srb20167.png
    srb20167.png
    162.9 KB · Views: 756
  • srb20168.png
    srb20168.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 321
  • srb20169.png
    srb20169.png
    288.1 KB · Views: 325
Ok, ok. What a big post O.o
Now, I edited Neo Green Hill Zone Act 1. See the images.

Heh, I do get carried away sometimes.

Picture 1 - Meh, perhaps replace the spring with a slope that goes around the walls up to the FOF, Emerald Isles is an example of using the slopes.
Picture 2 - Looks... better.
Picture 3 - Still not sure about that massive death pit, perhaps add a shallow floor with more little islands to run and jump across.
Picture 4 - Nicer textures, I now know I can't spam the waterfall as such. But come on, get a little creative with the boxes.
Picture 5 - I thought it was my eyes (I just found out I need glasses for close up stuff), but I realised the floor and textures. What the heck? XD Why does the wood floor connect to the dirt walls? Maybe replace the wood floor with grassy floors, it might actually come out quite nicely.

I seem to rant, but I'm taking a slight liking to this level.

There is nothing wrong with running and jumping.

You have running and jumping down fine. You're going to need to make the player do more than running and jumping eventually (or at least some more complex running and jumping), but that comes later.

The one bad problem with a level with so much running is that it's no fun to play it with either Tails or Knuckles.

1.2 Avaible!

New version!
Edits:

Act 1:

Much textures as been edited, now the zone as not more "boring"
Added more plataforms
Theres no more pit on Second part
Much crawlas as been deleted.

Act 2:

All of Act 1
Level is now more large "not much"
Water in second part as been deleted

Act 3:

As been complete remaked, now more beautifull
EggTree as been remaked too, now more danger

Download, play and rate ^^

Attachments

• scr_neogreenhill1.2.zip
    72 KB · Views: 263
Sorry for being bitchy, but I gotta go soon, so I'll only write the bad things I found so far; that doesn't mean the level's bad. Its pretty good actually (even though its another green hill remix...)

The waterfalls are HUGE. Not by width, by the fact that they look like they come out of the walls. It looks seriously unatural.
And the Egg Tree still won't move after being directly hit, just a bit after, making it still easly defeatable. Also, the missle is um, pretty stupid. If it moves fast towards you while shooting it, It'll blow on itself 'cause its not faster than him, and you can only grab it (if you manage, with the speed he keeps tackling you) it only holds you for a few seconds, replace the missle with another type of attack.
Oh, and the levels are pretty short. There were also some underwater springs that were too powerful, blasting you to the toppest part of the map... But that's all of the bad things. I hope you fix those.

I liked the visual, at least the level could be wider.
Yay, thanks

The waterfalls are HUGE. Not by width, by the fact that they look like they come out of the walls. It looks seriously unatural.

Much places in world have giants Waterfalls, its dont look unatural.

Note: You say it because you dont see the canceled level of my Pack lol

And the Egg Tree still won't move after being directly hit, just a bit after, making it still easly defeatable. Also, the missle is um, pretty stupid. If it moves fast towards you while shooting it, It'll blow on itself 'cause its not faster than him, and you can only grab it (if you manage, with the speed he keeps tackling you) it only holds you for a few seconds, replace the missle with another type of attack.

The more thing the New EggTree make is move ._.
But about missile, you right. Next Update will have.

Oh, and the levels are pretty short.

Its because its will be the first level of pack, its more big than GreenFlower Act 1 XD

There were also some underwater springs that were too powerful, blasting you to the toppest part of the map... But that's all of the bad things. I hope you fix those.

I dont find any powerfull springs on water ._.
Take a screenshot on this spring and show to me, ok?

Mmmm, overall this has some good concepts, but it's THROUGHLY underdeveloped. Par exemple:

Image 1: AAAHHHH!!!! THERE'S A PLANT IN MY FACE!!! This is right when the level starts; it's just rather annoying.

Image 2: Although my computer so kindly clipped them, you can see from the colormaps that this water falls from the sky. Clearly unnatural.

Image 3: This was neat.

Image 4: OBVIOUSNESS!! :-D But you don't have to worry about it. Perhaps change the texture to one less... obvious, for better secret security?

Image 5: HUMONGOUS skyfalls. As well, try to de-square the corners. Square rocks look extremely unnatural. If you can, just try to avoid 90° angles in natural settings.

Image 6: Just saying, these springs do nothing. Changing them to red springs would allow you to go back, if that's what the original intent was. Also, that texture is actually wood, not dirt. I think...

Image 7: Speedbump! :-P

Images 8, 9, and 10: Does this water look like it's moving to you? No, it doesn't. ~steps in~ ooh, fast current! Oh, and a freak death pit on the end! I would actually advise changing this or making the water move to eliminate any accidents, since the water did not appear to be... indirectly lethal.

Other things: Maybe change the added platform where there was once a spring to an FOF, might look better... De-square the lake for a better look... As well, that cavern looks empty and menacing. Sector scenery can make it look really cool, though. But besides all that, great work on the level. Fix these couple of things and this level could be great!!!

Attachments

• srb20104.png
    srb20104.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 295
  • srb20105.png
    srb20105.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 336
  • srb20106.png
    srb20106.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 311
  • srb20107.png
    srb20107.png
    68 KB · Views: 298
  • srb20108.png
    srb20108.png
    203.9 KB · Views: 286
  • srb20112.png
    srb20112.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 309
  • srb20116.png
    srb20116.png
    209 KB · Views: 293
  • srb20118.png
    srb20118.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 298
  • srb20119.png
    srb20119.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 263
  • srb20117.png
    srb20117.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 295
Wow, after a long time, more posts come XD

The second act isn't very good, but I do like the first one...

If you dont say nothing to add or edit, I cant make nothing :/

Image 1: AAAHHHH!!!! THERE'S A PLANT IN MY FACE!!! This is right when the level starts; it's just rather annoying.

AAAAHHHHHH!!!! THERES NOT IN YOUR FACE, ITS IN YOUR CAM!! =P
I forgot this, next time (probably in the Level Pack mod) I will edit it.

Image 2: Although my computer so kindly clipped them, you can see from the colormaps that this water falls from the sky. Clearly unnatural.

Yea, but from where its can come?

Image 3: This was neat.

No coments

Image 4: OBVIOUSNESS!! :-D But you don't have to worry about it. Perhaps change the texture to one less... obvious, for better secret security?

I KNOW!!! :-D Its because dont have a texture for it, but in mod I will try to edit it.

Image 5: HUMONGOUS skyfalls. As well, try to de-square the corners. Square rocks look extremely unnatural. If you can, just try to avoid 90° angles in natural settings.

Its the third time I see this coment =P
It is a game, you cant say "all have to make sense!". From where come the water of Deep Sea?

Image 6: Just saying, these springs do nothing. Changing them to red springs would allow you to go back, if that's what the original intent was. Also, that texture is actually wood, not dirt. I think...

Hum, I forgot the springs in the beta test. Thanks for remember me XD
And the texture, its because I dont find any good floor texture of mud...

Image 7: Speedbump! :-P

Its because SRB2DB edit it, I hate this D<

Images 8, 9, and 10: Does this water look like it's moving to you? No, it doesn't. ~steps in~ ooh, fast current! Oh, and a freak death pit on the end! I would actually advise changing this or making the water move to eliminate any accidents, since the water did not appear to be... indirectly lethal.

Yea yea, I forgot the texture scroll =/
Next time, will have the scroll =D

Other things: Maybe change the added platform where there was once a spring to an FOF, might look better... De-square the lake for a better look... As well, that cavern looks empty and menacing. Sector scenery can make it look really cool, though. But besides all that, great work on the level. Fix these couple of things and this level could be great!!!

More decoration? What more I can add?
And thanks man =D

Yes, MKP, if you notice, in most levels that feature waterfalls, the water comes from a small slit in the wall.

There wasn't really any type of challenge. The way you combined the textures was really cool though.

Neo Green Hill in a sense, is like the first zone, it's not going to be filled with deadly traps and so on.

Anyways, when can we expect more stuff MKP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back