colored name and servername tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does the mere lack of colored text make netgaming less fun?

I have a good laugh when I read that.

I see funny things.
I'll make out what everyone has in mind about the color names. "The game is much less fun without the colors" is not an excuse.
- It's just a gadget to get noticed : "Yeah, look at me, I have a colorful name ! Ask me how have it and I won't answer ! Ha ha ha !"
And nothing more.

Now take off the multiplayer mode of SRB2. SRB2 is nothing ?

SRB2 Message Board is somelike funny these days. But really, >HACK< SRB2? You'd better hope you've got felix felicis, or it will be impossible if there is Cue, Alam etc.

Personally, I would prefer proper implementation of coloured usernames (aka: no text wrap problems, overflow to text, no ability to actually use a coloured say, and team colour - also meaning no red or blue for spectators in team games - and the player's settings for the colour of popup names overriding)

But this is a good second best. I don't bother with the things, but the above solution would pretty much please everyone.

Last edited:
Ok first of all this is Fucking funny as all hell.

Next of all your kidding me on the color text? I knew how to color text since the release of 2.0.6.

Its very fun yet at the same time annoying as all hell.

To me im glad there removeing color names it make less c fails for windows 7 and vista user.

But at least keep the color server names that don't make c fail and it make your server look nice.

And your going to hack SRB2? Ha your kidding me yes?

well I'm the first to make a color text wad for 2.0.6 that color every letter into colors. Even names.

So no symbols needed like that.

But its a long loss wad so i don't know what ever happen to it.

And by the way your forgetting the color purple.

And the ¼ symbol is useless you dont even need it in your name to use color names.

Last edited:
You know, SRB2 is just not fun for me without colors. Not fun at all.
I...hate to say this, but I actually agree with you! Sonic Robo Blast 2 just doesn't work well without colours! I mean, seriously! Look!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/srb20259.png/

Now, in all seriousness, I can't imagine how deleting colours would be bad. All it causes is confusion in CTF games and people either think you're a retard for thinking you're going to impress anyone or, if being new to the game, actually being impressed. Good riddance.

SRB2 looks better in black and white.

The confusion is not to be seen in this sense. When you see in CTF "color name" has been hurted by "color name's" rail ring, you'll see we do not even know what teams are affected to these colors people.

Now, in all seriousness, I can't imagine how deleting colours would be bad. All it causes is confusion in CTF games and people either think you're a retard for thinking you're going to impress anyone or, if being new to the game, actually being impressed. Good riddance.
SRB2 looks better in black and white.

The confusion is not to be seen in this sense. When you see in CTF "color name" has been hurted by "color name's" rail ring, you'll see we do not even know what teams are affected to these colors people.

Uh... this is colored TEXT we're talking about. Not colors in general.

Something to consider: This wasn't a feature removal, this was a bug fix, and it's most certainly not worth the trouble needed to patch it up to make it work properly. You would need to fix the incompatibility between builds made with different compilers/OSes in mind. You would also need to add a function to strip colors from a name to deal with the interference with seenames and the console text in team based gametypes, and to keep people from using duplicate names by simply tacking on a color code somewhere in their name.

Which is, honestly, more work than it's worth for a feature part of the community considers an annoyance; I'd rather spend my time on much more pressing things.

Oh, and to that one person who said he was going to "hack" it back in? Sure, you can edit the source to remove the single alteration to an if statement that was needed to fix this bug. You'll just be kicked by every single server immediately when you try to join with a colored name. Fun, eh?

Last edited:
Wow?...This post looks amazing! ...The green is going well with my character! Thank you for this detailed Tutorial (I think I was about to make one myself though o.o...but now it's useless XD)

BTW: I saw red name once...but I think it might be my imagination.

Colors aren't necessary in SRB2, because they are used mostly just for showing off. All people were newbies sometime, but i doubt many of them knew about colored text back then. (I'm referring to 1.09.) And yet most of them didn't give up, and trained to become better. To be good at gametypes, you need to stop worrying about such things and practice more. Then, when you get better, i'm sure this game will be fun for you even without colored name and text.

You sir are exactly right. I played SRB2 back like 2 years ago back when I was a newbie and now I can have a good battle with anyone here. All you have to do is be comfortable with your controls and practice until you can hit someone with at least a bomb ring.

(On topic)
Why does It matter if your name is colored or not its a name! Nobody cares if your name is purple or pink. Whats it going to prove anyway? Its just pointless and it increases your chance of getting C-kicked. Almost everybody who entered my server with a color name got c-kick until they gave up. Its a minor annoyance to the people in the server and a major annoyance to the user because of all the kicks.

I don't get how netgaming is boring without color text and name? It not like just because you know how to do color name and text means your epic. you gonna have to get used to it sonix. It will be removed in 2.1 anyways.

I think he will get the point already Steel Xd but serously. It doesn't make it less boring. Just not as pretty. SonicX is just joking. If not, than he can not just not update or make a pretty mod like colorful krabby patties.

I say Color names are just there to make your name look pretty, Servers too.
Though I have to say, Colors DO catch the eye very easily, you're more likely to look at a colored server than a Regular white named server you've been seeing for the past few years now...

I say Color names are just there to make your name look pretty.

犬夜叉;710580 said:
The only reason colored player names even exist is because some operating systems apparently disagree as to whether ASCII characters 128 and above should be marked as printable or not. Don't get too attached to them, 2.1 won't let you use them anymore.

10learn2reads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back