Custom music into WAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK.exe

The one and only!
Kart Krew™️
Me again, can anyone tell me how to put custom music into a WAD and what format does it need to be?

Thanks

I was going to write how... but it would be bare-bones, skip a lot of alternative stuff, and... yeah, stuff like that. So just read [LINK] instead. (But if you use loop points, do yourself a favour and use the "LOOPPOINT" tag thing. If you do that, you can easily just put the cursor thing in the audio program at the loop point, note the sample point the cursor thing is at, and write that for the "LOOPPOINT" tag, where-as "LOOPMS" can be very slightly inaccurate as you can't(?) use decimal numbers.)

Last edited:
OK thanks guys. I had a feeling there'll be a wiki of some sort, i just couldn't find it.

(But if you use loop points, do yourself a favour and use the "LOOPPOINT" tag thing. If you do that, you can easily just put the cursor thing in the audio program at the loop point, note the sample point the cursor thing is at, and write that for the "LOOPPOINT" tag, where-as "LOOPMS" can be very slightly inaccurate as you can't(?) use decimal numbers.)

It is really annoying to hear this when not only is the inaccuracy so slight as to not even be noticeable, but also when SDL2 itself does not and can not properly support LOOPPOINT in the first place...

犬夜叉;776526 said:
It is really annoying to hear this when not only is the inaccuracy so slight as to not even be noticeable, but also when SDL2 itself does not and can not properly support LOOPPOINT in the first place...
The former depends on how "twitchy" the sound is. After all, with "LOOPMS", you get 1000 points to choose from per second, but "LOOPPOINT" gives you 44100. Which is great, considering there are 44100 different samples per second for music.

And as for the latter, then why does the vanilla 2.1.14 music.dat have 22 music files with "LOOPPOINT", but only 1 with "LOOPMS"? No, seriously, why? And also why does custom music I make utilizing "LOOPPOINT" loop properly?

Because updating the music file is a gigantic hassle and we took the path of least resistance.

The reason I say it's broken is because there's NO way for SDL2_Mixer to get the sample rate of the current music (and due to the filetypes it supports, this is not exactly as easy as it sounds to add either). We make a guess that every music file is 44100 samples/sec for that very reason.

By the way, that one music track that uses LOOPMS? That's because it's not 44100 samples/sec. LOOPPOINT would, and did break horribly.

The custom music part of the sound/music tutorial article does say "Note that if you choose to use the Ogg format, your file must have a wavelength of 44,100 Hz to function properly", though, so if the user follows the tutorial, the sample rate should already be 44100. *Exports and checks the music* The music in question, as you said, is not 44100 hertz, but it not being that goes against the wiki article, however.

But point taken. "LOOPPOINT" is broken for non-44100 hertz music. I suppose we can agree on that. But for 44100 hertz music, it should work properly. My bad, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back