Game never starts on my 64-bit GNU/Linux system

Status
Not open for further replies.

onpon4

Sharing is good.
I downloaded the source code for SRB2 2.1.8, and I compiled it with this instruction (at the suggestion of readme.txt) after making sure the dependencies (and their header files) were installed:

Code:
make -C src LINUX64=1
As you can see, this is a 64-bit (x86-64) GNU/Linux system. More specifically, it's Trisquel 6, which is based on and similar to Ubuntu 12.04.

It looks like the binary I want to run is bin/Linux64/Release/lsdlsrb2, but when I run that, it just gets stuck at some point. This is the command I used and subsequent terminal output:

Code:
~/SRB2-SRB2_release_2.1.8$ ./bin/Linux64/Release/lsdlsrb2
Compiled for SDL version: 1.2.14
Linked with SDL version: 1.2.14
Setting up SRB2...
M_StartupLocale...
Looking for WADs in: SRB2WADDIR,.,/usr/local/share/games/SRB2,/usr/local/games/SRB2,/usr/share/games/SRB2,/usr/games/SRB2,HOME
It just stays at that last line for a very long time. I've waited several minutes, and it just doesn't ever seem to move on to something else. All I can do is use Ctrl+C to interrupt it.

Looking at my system monitor, it's using one of my CPU cores at 100%, as if it's stuck in an infinite loop.

I tried running bin/Linux64/Release/lsdlsrb2.debug as well to see if it would give some helpful output, but the text it prints is the same as the other binary in my case. I also tried compiling the latest source code from the Git repository, and I got the same result.

One other thing I guess I should note is the output I get when I compile it:

Code:
~/SRB2-master$ make -C src LINUX64=1
make: Entering directory `/home/julian/SRB2-master/src'
Creating dependency file, depend.dep
Created dependency file, depend.dep
make: Leaving directory `/home/julian/SRB2-master/src'
make: Entering directory `/home/julian/SRB2-master/src'
make: [pre-build] Error 1 (ignored)
Linking lsdlsrb2...
Dumping debugging info
gzip: ../bin/Linux64/Release/lsdlsrb2.debug.txt: No such file or directory
make: [../bin/Linux64/Release/lsdlsrb2] Error 1 (ignored)
make: upx: Command not found
make: [../bin/Linux64/Release/lsdlsrb2] Error 127 (ignored)
make: Leaving directory `/home/julian/SRB2-master/src'
I'm out of ideas for what to try. Is there something I missed, maybe?

Code:
Setting up SRB2...
M_StartupLocale...
Looking for WADs in: SRB2WADDIR,.,/usr/local/share/games/SRB2,/usr/local/games/SRB2,/usr/share/games/SRB2,/usr/games/SRB2,HOME

Where are the WAD files? it seems the last thing is was doing was looked at HOME for srb2.srb file.

SRB2 checks %SRB2WADDIR%, then the current directory, /usr/local/ locations, plain /usr, then all of the current user HOME folder

Where are the WAD files? it seems the last thing is was doing was looked at HOME for srb2.srb file.

SRB2 checks %SRB2WADDIR%, then the current directory, /usr/local/ locations, plain /usr, then all of the current user HOME folder

I didn't have that anywhere. When I mentioned that file name, my brother gave me his copy of srb2.srb and I put it in my home directory. That got me past where I got before, but now it gets an error:

Code:
Setting up SRB2...
M_StartupLocale...
Z_Init(): Init zone memory allocation daemon. 
System memory: 48MB - Free: 48MB
I_StartupTimer()...
W_InitMultipleFiles(): Adding IWAD and main PWADs.
ERROR: Can't read wad header from /home/julian/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/julian/My Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/julian/My Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/julian/My Documents/.wine/dosdevices/z:/proc/self/root/usr/share/zoneinfo/US because Operation not permitted
ERROR: Can't read wad header from /home/julian/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/julian/My Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/julian/My Documents/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/julian/My Documents/.wine/dosdevices/z:/proc/self/root/usr/share/zoneinfo/US because Operation not permitted
Shutdown tty console
Error: W_InitMultipleFiles: no files found

Were there some additional files that I was supposed to download, that aren't on GitHub? Or perhaps a compilation step that readme.txt doesn't mention or that I didn't notice?

Last edited:
You need srb2.srb and the .dta files..... http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Data_files

Ah, that makes sense. Is there a download of these files, though (like an archive of them)? All I see on https://www.srb2.org/download/ are Windows executables and a link to the GitHub page. Obviously, I could get them from my brother, but depending on him to use Windows for me to get these data files would be exploitation of him, from my perspective.[1]

[1] I'm a free/libre software proponent. I view proprietary software, such as Microsoft Windows, as imposing unjust power over the users and therefore unethical, so doing something that depends on someone using such software would be exploitation by proxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back