Newbie like question to md2s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I simply have a question for a game developer.
I've been trying to make more than one seperate models be used for the following characters in the game: Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, and Kunckles the Echidna.

If it's possible, Will it be possible for people to use different md2s for different characters?

If you think it is a stupid question, please feel free to lock it.

Currently, you can only use one MD2 for the player. That's why it isn't a good idea to use them in netgames.

Wait, Colson, you wrote "Currently"... That means that in future versions of SRB2 you could make an MD2 only "fit" on a specific target enemy/character?
I gotta learn how to use those things.

I meant that right now, it is only possible for MD2 for the player on at a time. I don't know if it will or can be implemented into future versions of SRB2.
And geez, stop getting so technical. :P

If my theory is correct it can be done, but the models would need to be low polly, and tails, and kunx's sprites would need to be renamed.... Just a theory not worth getting into.

Wait... *opens Sonic.plr, Knux.plr, and Tails.plr*

Sonic | PLAYA1
Tails | TAILA1
Knux | KNUXA1
etc.

Yyyyyeah... what needs renamed?

Chaos Knux, you figured that out, but ignore the A1 after the names.
I'll try that out and see if works XD

EDIT: I have a reason to agree, cuz randomly I put a Super Sonic model in the Ideya Drone cuz I figured out the NDRNA1.

EDIT2: I have no more reasons to agree XD
Sincerely I tested it and the problem is that PLAYA1 and on overrides all others. I would like that the next versions of SRB2 change Sonic's sprites set from PLAYA1 to SONCA1. Isn't it simple?

Last edited:
I have no more reasons to agree XD
Sincerely I tested it and the problem is that PLAYA1 and on overrides all others. I would like that the next versions of SRB2 change Sonic's sprites set from PLAYA1 to SONCA1. Isn't it simple?

I think it's for a specific reason involving the old Doom code, IIRC. Otherwise, they coulda done it ages ago. PLAY## is basically the "default" for sprites.

I've heard scattered reports that using sprites as a model texture by not having a PNG in the MD2 folder no longer works so this may not be relevant, but I had a theory a while back on how to have multiple character models.

The whole deal is that when using a sprite as a texture, color changing, angles, and transparency using cyan were all possible; there was a series of wads called Wizard#.wad which were basically just a collection of palette-abiding model textures put in a wad to take advantage of this.

The underlying problem with having models for each character is just that the same model is used for every one even though the sprites were different; However, because the sprite texture method allowed you to make any part of a texture invisible, I hypothesized that if you made a set of large texture sprites split up into quadrants, and then had a single MD2 that had EVERY character in it, you could make it so that each character only used one of the quadrants of the texture, which would be different for each one; any quadrants not used by the character would be colored cyan in that character's sprites, thus making the rest of the character models in the MD2 invisible. If I recall correctly, SkyNinja took a shot at implementing this a few years back, but used such bad models for it that nobody wanted to use it.

In fact, if someone were to get this working, the fourth quadrant(since the other three would be used by sonic, tails, and knuckles) could be used for the 1up monitor and end sign.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back