• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Question about copyright law-Lock please issue solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtheman14

Not this moron again...
If I use converted music from previous sonic games in the past in my WAD file, would it prevent me from releasing it on the MB because it's property of Sega/sonic team? If I did, would it get me into the legal kind of trouble with sega? I'm unsure as to whether or not this infringes copyright law or whether or not it matters on forums like these anyway. That's what I need to find out.

Just in case anyone wants to know what region I live in should it be necessary for assisting me, its the united kingdom

Last edited:
It's absolutely OK, I've done it with Sonic Surge and Internet Explorer has done it with Temporal Line, and so on.

If I use converted music from previous sonic games in the past in my WAD file, would it prevent me from releasing it on the MB because it's property of Sega/sonic team? If I did, would it get me into the legal kind of trouble with sega? I'm unsure as to whether or not this infringes copyright law or whether or not it matters on forums like these anyway. That's what I need to find out.

Just in case anyone wants to know what region I live in should it be necessary for assisting me, its the united kingdom

You're are completely off the hook as long no copyright bill passes.

You're are completely off the hook as long no copyright bill passes.
You are aware that copyright laws already exist, right?

The music is copyrighted and distributing it is illegal without permission. Theoretically, the copyright holder can sue you, but everybody does this all the time and nobody was ever sued for it.

SRB2 itself is a copyright violation. If SEGA goes after anyone (which is extremely unlikely), it will be SRB2 as a whole, not your WAD.

You are aware that copyright laws already exist, right?

The music is copyrighted and distributing it is illegal without permission. Theoretically, the copyright holder can sue you, but everybody does this all the time and nobody was ever sued for it.

Sorry, I had no idea what I was saying last post.

Guess I won't get into trouble then.
Thanks. Can this be locked now?
I just mostly wanted to know whether or not I'd get sued. Which seems unlikely here. Again, thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back