Klonoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubat

GFZ (WIP) theme enthusiast
Klonoa.png

Are we not going to mention that Namco created a small franchise years ago where the main character looks a lot like a Sonic character?

Klonoa is awesome. I loved the atmosphere of the games and the stories themselves. The second Klonoa game is one of my all-time favorite video games.

I think it's been said a million and a half times by now that Namco should make a Klonoa 3. I always loved the series for its settings, its characters, its gameplay... Heck, I love practically everything about this series. The first game in the series, Door to Phantomile, ranks up there on my list of all-time favorite video games I've ever played, with Lunatea's Veil (2nd in the series) not too far behind. And the GBA games were pretty cool as well.

Last edited:
I love the looks of Klanoa now, but I like his old appearance marginally better. It just looks more creative and original seeing as I've been a Sonic fan for-freakin'-ever. Just love those big yellow cat eyes...

k9gdnb.jpg

I've played the Wii Klonoa game, and it was a cute and surprisingly difficult platformer. The worst thing I could say about it is that it's very short. I haven't played any of the other games, but I absolutely adore the character design in Klanoa 2.

At the request of a friend I once made this md2 . I have a hacked wii, and am hoping to get all klonoa games. I haven't actually played any of the games, but viewing the cute character, the positive feedback on the games, I simply must try it out.

Also, I'm just going to leave this entire collection of all the pages from a (free) comic about him from a website that is going to close down very soon.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmzeaib6i7ucdmy/Klonoa Comic - All Pages.rar

You are gorgeous and thank you so much. ;-;

At the request of a friend I once made this md2 . I have a hacked wii, and am hoping to get all klonoa games. I haven't actually played any of the games, but viewing the cute character, the positive feedback on the games, I simply must try it out.

You must try out the Klonoa series. It took me a very long time to get my hands on Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (PS2), but when I did three years ago, I played (and still continue to play) the hell out of it. To this day Klonoa remains my favorite 2D platformer series.

Which game do you recommend me to start with? I understand that there are many games for many different systems. (My Wii has gameboy, n64, saturn, ps1, snes, genesis, mega cd, gamegear, and neo geo pocket emulators, so those are also included, along with original gamecube and Wii games) which would be best to start off with, and continue to?

I'm thinking of trying the first sometime since it's on PSN for a measly $5. But I don't know, is the first one great?

Which game do you recommend me to start with? I understand that there are many games for many different systems. (My Wii has gameboy, n64, saturn, ps1, snes, genesis, mega cd, gamegear, and neo geo pocket emulators, so those are also included, along with original gamecube and Wii games) which would be best to start off with, and continue to?

Bottom line is that either the original game for the PS1 or the sequel for the PS2. The sequel does not spoil the first game at all. More info below. :P

I'm thinking of trying the first sometime since it's on PSN for a measly $5. But I don't know, is the first one great?

Final verdict: it's amazing. The graphics are outdated of course, but the Wii/360 remake does not compare at all. Again, more info below. :P

The VERY first Klonoa game (Klonoa: Door to Phantomile) came out for the PS1. The official, direct sequel, Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, came out for the PS2. There's a remake for Door to Phantomile for the Wii and XBox 360, but I HIGHLY recommend playing the original before trying out the remake (In the original, the final cutscene is an actual cutscene rather than what the remake shows, which is an in-game rendered scene with dialogue boxes. The original game holds a better experience.).

On the GBA there are 3 Klonoa games in total, but they're spinoffs, most likely taking place in an alternative timeline. There's Klonoa: Empire of Dreams, and then Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament, a direct sequel to Empire of Dreams. The third Klonoa GBA game is a Japan-only top-down camera-styled RPG.

There's also the Japan-only releases of Klonoa Beach Volleyball (PS1) and Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (Wonderswan), neither of which I've played.

The American releases of the GBA Klonoa games' plots coincide with one another, but the games' plots on PS1 and PS2 don't mingle whatsoever. It is completely safe to play Lunatea's Veil before Door to Phantomile if you get your hands on it first.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Just wanted to quickly say that I have played Moonlight Museum (on a real WonderSwan because I'm that crazy), and it's pretty much a watered-down version of the GBA games. It's also really boring. I blame the lack of bosses and other things that made the GBA games great. If you haven't played any Klonoa games at all, I would definitely not recommend starting out with Moonlight Museum.

The first is for ps1, and a remake of it is for the wii, so I can get both of the versions on my wii due to emulators, but it seems I won't be able to play the second one. My wii can easily emulate ps1, but not ps2 :(.

The first is for ps1, and a remake of it is for the wii, so I can get both of the versions on my wii due to emulators, but it seems I won't be able to play the second one. My wii can easily emulate ps1, but not ps2 :(.

If you want remade graphics and an optional English dub (2/5 star dub), go for the Wii remake. If you want a good ending that will stick with you for the ages, go for the original on the PS1. The Wii remake seriously screws up the atmosphere of the game's ending, which is why I (and many others) prefer the original over the Wii.

With all due respect to Namco, they did it better the first time around. If a PS1 emulator is what you've got (no shame buddy, you're not alone), play Klonoa on that.

Klonoa looks better than any Sonic character.

#respect

Just wanted to quickly say that I have played Moonlight Museum (on a real WonderSwan because I'm that crazy), and it's pretty much a watered-down version of the GBA games. It's also really boring. I blame the lack of bosses and other things that made the GBA games great. If you haven't played any Klonoa games at all, I would definitely not recommend starting out with Moonlight Museum.

Oh man, was it? I've been tempted to get an emulator, but I didn't know if it was worth the trouble. I guess Namco was just testing out a fully 2D experience. Glad they made improvements with the GBA releases.

Last edited:
Oh man, was it? I've been tempted to get an emulator, but I didn't know if it was worth the trouble. I guess Namco was just testing out a fully 2D experience. Glad they made improvements with the GBA releases.

That's how I remember it. I also remember the gameplay basically being the same as the GBA games, just not as refined.

Yesterday I found out that my roommate has Klonoa 2 for PS2, so I decided to try it out. I like it! The throwing mechanic works nice, the characters are cool looking, and I find the game to have a nice balance between puzzle elements and action elements. Though the character visuals are Sonic-like, I find the gameplay to be much more Yoshi-like.

oh god i love the klonoa series so much you don't even know

The entire Klonoa world is fleshed out with unique characters with hilarious personalities and beautiful landscapes. I felt attached with so many characters throughout playing Klonoa 1 and 2, may it be Klonoa himself or the silly yet twisted Joka (Joker if you're playing the Wii version) or possibly the hard-headed Popka for all there is. Every character had their own unique charm and none of them felt like they were just a blank slate.

The gameplay is really fun as well, having to use enemies as double jump fodder. I always liked it when you were able to constantly stay up in the air by repeatedly tossing flying enemies below, a staple featured used in the bonus stages you can receive post-game. They're brutally difficult.

One of the best parts of the original Klonoa is that it had one of the most deceptive plots I had ever seen (hilariously hidden underneath all of the adorableness of the game). I was slightly disappointed Klonoa 2 didn't entirely carry this tradition along, but it was still very, very enjoyable plot wise.

rip klonoa 3

So I've been playing Klonoa 1 on PS1 on and off thanks to your recommendations. It's a cute fun little platformer. I wish his grab had a longer range, but that's about it.

So I got Door to Phantomile for PSX on my wii today, once I get home I will try it out.

I have so far played the two Game Boy games of Klonoa, and I must say, I love them. The gameplay reminds me of the walls of the void a bit, but without the wind bullet thing :p. But the idea of having this character go around solving puzzles with cubes and enemies (that were never explained. Really, I even read that comic that Terra posted, and the Moos just entered and Klonoa randomly kicked their asses) is an great one. I beat the empire of dreams, and am 1/3rd way through the dream championship, and I love both games. Can't wait to the try the first game of the series... Door to Phantomile is the first right? My wii has a psx emulator so it should play it smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back