[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How crazy? Like crazy crazy, like Water shaders, indirect lighting...

...And simpler yet still cool: I know it's at least possible to do Quake style lighting I.E. real light sources in addition to sector based lighting as well.

Am I the only one who noticed this post two pages back? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it have a lot to do with that picture?

REALITY CHECK!

You should also add Portals
Yes, I want to add the set of "standard" features like Mirrors, Reflective floors, and portals (having working MOVEMENT though is another crazy thing though, may require a rewrite which I don't think I could invest)

Sorting though the crazy:

Honestly, this isn't my game, and so far I've only coded a little to SRB2CB in the grand scheme of things, most of the code here is "throw-away" code that I couldn't use for other things anyway and consists of me trying to fix things that were even more broken from before

Well actually, instead of going to Source, we could just go completely revamped and crazy on everything.

<Intense crazy jargon>

Honestly in this post I just got EXCITED - at the same time I work on SRB2CB I'm learning about new things with graphics and game design which I didn't know about before, the things I said were valid ideas and I DO have some examples and documentation that I could start writing somethings from scratch, but I forgot that I don't think it may be realistic to take so much time adding every crazy thing to SRB2 of all things, for the most part I'm sure you guys like it simple. And people are actually ASKING FOR simpler things like bug fixes and SOC modifications.

Basically: I CAN'T do a REAL reconstruction, it wouldn't make sense, BUT it would be better to just work on fixing things in SRB2CB and adding in suggestions.

UDMF would break computability with how lots of things work in SRB2, so I can't really add that, it wouldn't make sense.

OpenGL optimization
Would rather just start from scratch

Bot reconstruction.
I don't want to take any credit for how JTE did it, the bots in SRB2CB ARE JTE's - The time it would take to add more advanced stuff in wouldn't make sense, since most people who do use bots already have fun with them anyway :P

BUT, that's just the crazy stuff no one even asked for.

The crazy stuff I talk about is just I want to add to a game in general, and SRB2 is NOT the right game to spend that time on.

-----

When it comes to realistic things that people actually asked for, I think I can do it:

What I said planned for the next relase, the TX_ start and PNG stuff, I can do

SRB2DB2 and more slope options I can do

Fixing bugs, shouldn't be a problem

Supporting mods other shouldn't be a problem

Nights style 2D mode - a little more complicated, but I think I can do it

Sonic style physics rewrite - This is the most difficult request, I can try, but I can honestly say I won't make any guarantees

Last edited:
Hold on, if they're basically JTE's bots, then how did you not have the capability of adding a feature that controls whether or not they chase down every ring and enemy they see? As I recall, JTE's bots had this, and even crappy old cineblast did.

Hold on, if they're basically JTE's bots, then how did you not have the capability of adding a feature that controls whether or not they chase down every ring and enemy they see? As I recall, JTE's bots had this, and even crappy old cineblast did.

These bots do, and Cineblast bots are lousy ports of JTE bots that dont even know the panels exist.

And once again I wasn't able of doing anything to help to build test maps. I feel rotten by the inside.

GODDAMN BROKEN PC

._.
Anyway...
It in build again?
First, Well, Uploaded
Second, Updated, and cancelled
Third, Being edited again...

My mind is full of f*ck

Anyway, CB doesn't give 2 Sh*ts about RVZ (Is that right?)

Attachments

• error RVZ.png
    error RVZ.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 391
Ok, so:

I got TX_START + PNG stuff to work between walls and floors

Fixed homing

Finished D00D64's request of being able to move a bit after homing

Removed that broken JTE bots thing from the menu (they're still in game)

Added fog options back in

Fixed that RVZ colormap issue thing

Fixed that "Kill on player change" bug

Turn on/off slope camera stuff by checking "Effect 1" on the slope linedef

Remember, you still got:
Polyobjects with flat rendering
Skyboxes
Other custom object stuff
SRB2DB2

I really just wanted to fix up any last things for people to be able to make mods, I really want to do something else now, between this and SRB2DB2 I think that should be a decent amount of new editing options for you guys, right?

Last edited:
I really just wanted to fix up any last things for people to be able to make mods, I really want to do something else now, between this and SRB2DB2 I think that should be a decent amount of new editing options for you guys, right?

It was enough editing options for me in the first place, so I'm more than happy to have the bugs fixed.

What do you plan on doing next? Gonna work on making your very own game? Whatever you do, keep me updated, as I'd be interested to follow.

Alright, so here's something pretty neat, this is a special version for modders only - I converted a lot of SRB2's textures to PNG but didn't finish all of them

- The rest of the default textures that need conversion are the ones that were divided into 2 or more patches, so you manually have to stitch those image files together and save them as one PNG texture - look at srb2.srb default TEXTURE1 list in a wad editor and see how the patches should look as one full image

NOTES:
  • Some animated textures were not completed
  • This version ONLY accepts TX_START textures in PNG
  • You can still use F_START for flats, but they still must be in PNG
  • Only flats and textures have PNG support, adding support for full PNG graphics everywhere shouldn't be too hard since most of the core code is already there

So yeah, this version allows you to just go crazy on the textures basically, and most of the stuff mentioned before is included with this release.

It's a messy release, I know, but I think some modders out there may find this useful.

The older version is still up and for anyone who just uses SRB2CB for OpenGL.

So basically, any modders should have no trouble using this release to make some cool levels, as always the source code is included for you to customize anything you want ;)

Modder's release/beta/thingy:
http://www.mediafire.com/?e9a538xmr2b55p3

Source code with PNG goodness:
http://www.mediafire.com/?frxc8vsxlxb9gbi

------

It was enough editing options for me in the first place, so I'm more than happy to have the bugs fixed.
Thank you! - & Sorry if there's any bugs in this release, I only tested it a little bit

I played the Emerald Islands and I soon as I get to the third zone off the wad, the game exited out and a popup came out and said, "Too many color maps." Is this mod not capable of handling water theme stages?

The "too many colormaps" bug is fixed in the "For Modders" version, but I didn't finish converting all textures to full color, so as of now, if you loaded it up in the modder's version, you'd see many texture issues. It's kinda easy to fix, someone else has to convert the rest of the textures to PNG and reupload a finished srb2cb.wad file for anyone that wants it.

-----

Last release:

Here's a fixed modders-only PNG version that works with Windows 7:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4k48bwc5t53it6y

Source code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qapzzdnluzx9q7e

Something seriously isn't right on my side if it still won't work for me. Now it just doesn't even load.

Seriously? I just tested it on a Windows 7 machine and it ran fine - maybe SRB2CB.dta and SRB2CB.wad are misplaced?

SRB2CB.wad is a new file that has PNG files inside it.

Any error message at all? Or it just stops working?

Seriously? I just tested it on a Windows 7 machine and it ran fine - maybe SRB2CB.dta and SRB2CB.wad are misplaced?

SRB2CB.wad is a new file that has PNG files inside it.

Any error message at all? Or it just stops working?

Yeah, it's not the exe itself, and everything is correctly in place.

I think something seriously is messed up that prevents it from being played here.

cb2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back