Favorite Sonic game for the Genesis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lactozilla

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
187072_sonic3knuckles02_medium.jpg

I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the best Sonic game ever made on the Genesis.
Reworked graphics, great music, three playable characters, 2P mode.... I could go on forever praising it.

Some people say it's Sonic CD but I just don't get it: the level design is awkward. The only thing you could save from SCD are the bosses, very original and the race with Metal Sonic is awesome.

I wanna hear your opinions. What was the best Sonic game on the Genesis you most liked playing?

Last edited:
Some people say it's Sonic CD but I just don't get it: the level design is awkward.

Sonic CD can't be anyone's favorite Genesis game! It's on the Sega CD!!! :V :V :V :V

They've all got their own flaws, but I would say Sonic 2 or Sonic & Knuckles.

I personally prefer Sonic 2 out of the genesis titles. Sonic 3 imo lacked the speed that Sonic 2 had. Sonic 3 felt like it was too much slow paced simple platforming, like simply jumping from one platform to another and then waiting for a platform to appear, or level things that take time to use (ie. Sandopolis rope thing where you jump off the walls to descend , or the pully in Mushroom Hill). A good example of what I mean of slow platforming can be seen through out the game. Simply play Angel Island and try to run for a good solid 12 seconds, excluding that cutscene part where you are either running away from the ship dropping bombs or the part when chasing Eggman.

Sonic 2 was great at platforming, had a good speed to (dat chemical plant) and had good themes to it.

(though my favourite classic sonic game would have to be Sonic Pocket Adventure in terms of platforming and level design)

My personal favorite title would be Sonic 1, with clever momentum-based platforming, with no SpinDash I might add- you have to earn that coveted speed, and you need it to make some tricky jumps, and I still like the visuals and music over Sonic 2. I also absolutely adore Sonic 3 & Knuckles for the music and visuals, and personally enjoyed most of the level design.

Regarding Sonic CD, I want to say it counts as you need the Genesis to even use the Mega-CD in the first place, but that's just me. If it did count, it'd be counted here as well for the cool time travel based levels and both soundtracks, though I'm sure we can all agree the bosses are a little too easy, aside from Metal Sonic. But hey, they are all really fun to battle, Just not Collision Chaos. The Pinball style design really wasn't enjoyable, but that's why we have the classic Sonic Spinball on Genesis, and that is probably the only Pinball game I personally enjoyed. (Sonic bias much. -_-)

Sonic CD's bosses would be perfect if they just got rid of the rings and threw in a shield monitor.

I'd say Sonic CD counts as one of the classics, it came from the same era of games after all.

Regardless, my favourite classic Sonic game (and Sonic game overall) is Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That game never gets boring to me, and it keeps finding new ways to surprise me whenever I play through it in the form of paths I haven't found before or just forgotten about because its levels are so huge.

It took me a good 15-18 years to learn about the Tails only path in Death Egg Zone 1 for example, and that blew my mind.

Sonic CD's bosses would be perfect if they just got rid of the rings and threw in a shield monitor.
While I do agree that would make some bosses harder, I feel it might break other bosses. I see Palmtree Panic and Tidal Tempest would greatly benefit from this and could play like the Game Gear bosses, while other bosses just need to be completely redone, like the awful Collision Chaos boss.

Regardless, my favourite classic Sonic game (and Sonic game overall) is Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That game never gets boring to me, and it keeps finding new ways to surprise me whenever I play through it in the form of paths I haven't found before or just forgotten about because its levels are so huge.

It took me a good 15-18 years to learn about the Tails only path in Death Egg Zone 1 for example, and that blew my mind.
Exactly why I love Sonic 3 & Knuckles- the gigantic, beautiful levels with tons of hidden bonuses for skilled players, and I'm still learning where everything is. I didn't even know of a Tails-only route in DEZ1, which is really cool. For whatever reason though, I never really liked the Blue Spheres special stages, though I like how they're hidden throughout the levels, putting even more emphasis on the exploration.

I'd say Sonic CD counts as one of the classics, it came from the same era of games after all.

Disclaimer: I was joking when I said Sonic CD doesn't count. Any of the classic Sonic sidescrollers count (though you're probably not going to get anyone to mention the GG titles or Knuckles Chaotix).

While I do agree that would make some bosses harder, I feel it might break other bosses. I see Palmtree Panic and Tidal Tempest would greatly benefit from this and could play like the Game Gear bosses, while other bosses just need to be completely redone, like the awful Collision Chaos boss.

Eh, I liked the pinball machine boss. Also, removing all rings would be enough to fix the final boss.

Disclaimer: I was joking when I said Sonic CD doesn't count. Any of the classic Sonic sidescrollers count (though you're probably not going to get anyone to mention the GG titles or Knuckles Chaotix).
Whoops. I just thought this would be a Genesis-only thread based off the title. As a side note, I actually really liked Sonic 1 on Game Gear.
Eh, I liked the pinball machine boss. Also, removing all rings would be enough to fix the final boss.
I'm just not fond of the completely random attack pattern in Collision Chaos, and after playing other pinball games, as well as Sonic games with pinball-based level mechanics, I just feel that the boss could have been done better (Or I'm just utterly terrible at pinball). Also, removing all the rings in the final boss would be perfect, and would kill any ideas of trying to get in-between the metal parts spinning around Robotnik and hitting the small exposed spaces.

I think the pinball machine boss was a really cool idea executed absolutely terribly. It feels super random at first, but once you understand the shoddy CD pinball physics, you can easily complete it in a couple seconds.

I also personally think that the final boss's problems extend way beyond temporary invincibility abuse. It would be far better to redesign the boss so that abusing temporary invincibility just isn't an effective strategy instead of removing rings so you can't do it.

I find Sonic CD's bosses to be really hit or miss. When they're a hit like Tidal Tempest and Wacky Workbench, they're some of the best bosses the franchise has ever seen. However, when they're a miss, they're some of the worst. I absolutely hate Collision Chaos, Quartz Quadrant and Stardust Speedway's bosses, not because of the concepts (because the concepts are great) but because of the implementation just being boring and subpar.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is my favorite, plain and simple.

I admire how fun it is to play, and just how SOLID it is. The levels are pretty large, there are unique paths for different characters, and you can have a slightly different, but still fun experience each time you go through it. It's like the Super Mario 64 of Sonic games.

Honestly, Sonic 3 and Knuckles really is a timeless game. It LOOKS great, it SOUNDS great, it FEELS great to play. It's a flawless Sonic game, and I'd play it over and over for years to come. I just love it.

Another thing that I like about Sonic 3 and Knuckles, although it's technically an entirely different game, is BLUE SPHERES. Blue Spheres is my favorite special stage in any of the Sonic games. It's both very simple and yet very challenging at the same time, and I absolutely love it. I feel so proud of myself trying to master the frame-perfect turning in certain aspects. It's just riveting.

Overall, I'd give Sonic 3 and Knuckles a 10 out of 10. It's an absolute gem, and it's a complete shame that it hasn't been properly rereleased on any modern consoles other than Wii Virtual Console, which is what I myself have and play Sonic 3 and Knuckles on anyways.

Sonic 2 is fun, but I mostly prefer the 2-player aspect when playing it with my younger sister. For whatever reason, in both Sonic 1 and 2, I can't bring myself the effort to complete the entire game in one go. I never have the patience. This is why I admire Sonic 3 and Knuckles' save feature.

I know I'm a little biased toward it, but I've played S3K for over 10 years, and I have very fond memories. I enjoyed it as a kid, and now that I'm a little more mature and better at it, I enjoy it even MORE now! :)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is it for me. It was really the game that got me into game development.

But I definitely can't deny the epic adventure you feel you're set out on with Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

My favorite is Sonic 3 & knuckles, as well. Yes, the levels are giant ant farms, but it allows plenty of exploration with a whole bunch of speed sections thrown in for good measure. Also, it was probably done so tails wasn't too overpowered. :V I l played it all the way through dozens of times, and it almost never gets old. I say almost because I think I'm starting to finally get bored of it, but it took almost a decade before that happened. That's the best in MY book.

Last edited:
Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Chaotix is my least favorite (every zone feels like one level repeated five times, they might as well just have one act for each zone).

Ditto, Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I can also recommend the mobile remaster for Sonic CD, for more reasons beyond having the JP soundtrack

Completely Sonic 3 and Knuckles, it was the best of all the classic sonic games, i loved the fact it had saves because i couldn't complete sonic 1 in one run, another thing i liked from the game were the Super Emeralds, having the fact you can be Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles and Super Tails, it maked me feel very happy having Super Tails because i always use him in the Sonic games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back