Colour Changing MD2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sryder

'That brit'
Kart Krew™️
THIS IS NOW OBSOLETE AS IT HAS BEEN ADDED INTO 2.1.15

What it says it is. Colour changing can be enabled on an MD2 by including an extra texture titled <NAME>_blend.png. the texture should be greyscale, with lighter areas being closer to white, and darker areas being closer to black. Transparent pixels are not included in the blending, and use the original texture's colours. Included is 2 executables, one SDL and one DirectDraw, and an example MD2 and textures provided courtesy of Jeck Jims. The executables are just plain old 2.1.14 with the relevant commits cherry picked onto it.

Source code for the changes can be found at: http://git.magicalgirl.moe/Sryder/SRB2/commits/md2_colourchange

Attachments

• srb2md2.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 3,460
  • srb20028.png
    srb20028.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 5,532
Last edited:
Welcome to Releases! I remember back in v1.09.4 we used to use a really hacky method of skin colour changing that was completely incompatible with Software mode users - nice to see a reasonable solution to the problem.

This is by far one of my most favorite exe mods of Srb2 (despite lacking actual gameplay content. lol). Really great job on this. Jeck's models look absolutely gorgeous with this.

Thanks for making this Sryder, now we can finally use MD2s for Team Deathmatches and CTFs ;) .

I had the same issue with not being able to change colors with srb2md2dd.exe but using srb2md2.exe works just fine. What version are you using exactly?

ok problem solved, for some reason the exe don't enable the opengl so i made a bat file and made it enable it. thank you all for helping me.

I had the same issue with not being able to change colors with srb2md2dd.exe but using srb2md2.exe works just fine. What version are you using exactly?

I'm not having any issue with the DirectDraw executable personally, so I'm not sure what would be happening there. Not sure why one would work but the other wouldn't either. @.@

I Can't even OPEN Srb2MD2DD.exe
It Just Starts but The Screen is the Smallest resolution and there's nothing on-screen except white. Help?

Um... Read Jeck Jim's md2 thread in misc for directions, or go to the SRB2 wiki. There's always help for you somewhere when it comes to MD2s

The EXE doesn't run in OpenGL by default? Maybe it should do that, since it's pointless if run in Software. I know it's easy to make a bat, or run a launcher, but still, ease of access and all that.

The EXE doesn't run in OpenGL by default? Maybe it should do that, since it's pointless if run in Software. I know it's easy to make a bat, or run a launcher, but still, ease of access and all that.
I think that's intentional so that it can be used later for future SRB2 versions and allow users to run the game the way they want with any renderer .

Arid breeze blows across the mountains; giving flight to the birds of prey

I think that's intentional so that it can be used later for future SRB2 versions and allow users to run the game the way they want with any renderer .

It's intentional but for a completely different reason. These changes were merged into vanilla's Git repo and will be present in the next update. No reason to go through the trouble of changing the default renderer, really.

I'm fairly certain that this is in 2.1.15 now, so there is no need to use this executable anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back