SRB2CS: With new Match/CTF netcode! (BETA 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the basic answer is that nobody is working on fixing the netcode because nobody WANTS to.

I believe this thread demonstrates otherwise, does it not? LXShadow had the will, and the means. Perhaps, if you spoke with him, middle ground could be reached, where he could toil away and implement a more SRB2-centric netcode model in your new version or something. I don't know.

In either case, this is certainly very exciting work. I wasn't able to say this before, but I will now: LXShadow, this is nothing short of incredible. I've thoroughly enjoyed working with you, for however short a time. :)

Last edited:
I kinda find it funny that I was never credited in this at all. I was even the very first beta tester to this and I still don't got my name up there.

Anyway LXShadow did amazing job on the netcode. Even if there a BUNCH of problems in it. It still beats the hell out of SRB2 current netcode. Including the main modes that are mostly use in net games works now. Like Race, Match, and CTF.

And including LXShadow has been gone for sometime now as well. He told me he might have stop working on this mod. And he said anyone can work on it if needed as well.

So anyone here who has learned anything about C++ can work on this mod and maybe get it done. Who knows I have study C++ for a while now. So I might give this a go and finish it for him. That is if I ever get more time.

Aries, I remember doing test runs with you from time to time -- you asbolutely deserve credit. Don't take it personally, LXShadow had a lot of testers from the netgaming scene, so it must have been difficult for him to credit everyone, I'd bet.

Aries, I remember doing test runs with you from time to time -- you asbolutely deserve credit. Don't take it personally, LXShadow had a lot of testers from the netgaming scene, so it must have been difficult for him to credit everyone, I'd bet.

Yeah I remember doing some of the testes along with you as well. And I do understand why he might had some difficult for him to credit everyone. Since he did do a lot of testing back then. And when I mean alot I mean alot testing with random people and alot changes has been done in this mod. I even remember back when I saw the very first alpha version the points did not even change when someone was shot.

It's probably not worth asking because of the differences between Doom Legacy and GZDoom, but what's Skulltag's netcode like?

Wow. Well, I've been following this topic for a few days now and it's been great to see some more in-depth views of this mod. Now I'd like to express a few of mine!

Virtually everything SpiritCrusher said has hit the nail on the head. SRB2CS was made to be an alternative to SRB2's standard netcode; more importantly though, it was meant to be a fair alternative (so, to a degree, it was intended to be an overall improvement). My original motivation to make it came from the fact that, being a European player, it's very hard to come across as competent amongst the American community, even with five years' playing experience. Playing SRB2 can be a challenge that never satisfies: if you're the host, you're playing unfairly against a weaker competition and feel bad about it; if you're a client, you're not annoying anyone with your advantage, but you are forced to look bad. Also, winning is more fun than losing IMO. =(

It was also meant as an opportunity to allow communities in remote areas to grow. Europe isn't the worst place; I feel bad for anyone in Australia who wants to play competitively online. I can bet that there are 0 competitive Australian players at the moment, and that it'll stay that way: whenever one comes along, they will have nobody to have a good game against!

Blue Warrior said:
Well hell, I'll be the first to admit it isn't stable, but at least it's a start.

Thankyou!

Well, I'll mention this now in brutal honesty. When development on SRB2CS really took off, that was the goal I had in mind: to make a start. The fact is, as a unofficial second-hand mod I believed (and still do) that SRB2CS wouldn't be worth much unless it had support from the official dev team. SRB2CS was always meant to be a proof-of-concept as far as I was concerned, and, to be honest, I was trying to impress the dev team with it. I was hoping you guys would pick it up as an alternative in-game option, and make it 'official': official enough for it to get more than just a few players. It was never in my own intentions to finish it completely - being a concept so ambitious, I couldn't stand working on it as an unofficial mod.

Spazzo said:
In either case, this is certainly very exciting work. I wasn't able to say this before, but I will now: LXShadow, this is nothing short of incredible. I've thoroughly enjoyed working with you, for however short a time. :)

Thanks Spazzo- it's good to see you're still alive! It was great fun working together, even if I acted more than a little pessimistic about it at the time. =P

And the same goes to the all the other doofs! =P I won't write any names - just in case - but you know who you are!

EternallyAries Red X said:
I kinda find it funny that I was never credited in this at all. I was even the very first beta tester to this and I still don't got my name up there.

You totally deserve credit Aries! I tried to cover that in the first post, but it's really hard. To be honest, there was indeed quite a few other people who I tested privately with, and I didn't want to mention any names for the sake of avoiding missing someone out.

That, I'm afraid, includes anyone who knew about the 1.09.4 alpha-beta-beta-alpha version. Because that was a long time ago!

You were a big help though and it was a lot of fun; thank you!

-------------------------------------------

It's hard to say this, but as for the future of this mod: I'm out. I'm sorry, it's not that I don't care about the people who have offered so much support - probably more than I ever realised - for this mod, it's just that my dedication to SRB2 has long since waned. I don't think it's uncommon, for people my age, to realise they could be moving on to something new. That's what I'm doing... sorry =/

It would be great if development on SRB2CS could be picked up by others, but I don't expect that to happen, nor will I ask for it.

With that, I'd like to thank everyone who played and supported this mod. It was great fun!

As for me, well, I think my code will do better elsewhere. I'll still be watching the forums for a while though- I'm not gone just yet! =D

Well its about time you post something LXShadow. Been wondering if your dead or alive lately anyhow. =P

Anyway i had a lot of fun testing with you as well LXShadow.

Most of my testing was done with you and Spazzo anyway. =P

I'm never gonna forget the time when you and I had a real match in SRB2 with out the control lag. It was so damn much fun that we gotta do it again one day when we got a full server.

It was also meant as an opportunity to allow communities in remote areas to grow. Europe isn't the worst place; I feel bad for anyone in Australia who wants to play competitively online. I can bet that there are 0 competitive Australian players at the moment, and that it'll stay that way: whenever one comes along, they will have nobody to have a good game against!
I'm Australian! :D

I may have one of the fastest consumer connections in Australia, but if the server's American then I get at least 200 ping even if their connection is good too. It's ridiculous.

Help Wanted!

I think I'm doing this correctly but for some reason it says I don't have srb2/srb2.wad file or something like that. Please help me ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back