SRB2CS: With new Match/CTF netcode! (BETA 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the comments and reports!

Kitoko: I couldn't find anything wrong with setrings, but setlives was definitely out, so I've fixed that. Thanks for the report. (Turns out I had disabled 'setlines' instead of 'setlives'. Darn typos!)

Hinote: I actually forgot to mention that Circuit Race was the only mode I had started on (it shouldn't be too hard to get single-player races working, however). The errorlog will be most helpful in tracking down the crash - thanks for that!

The Team Match issue is something that came along with Alam's build of SRB2. I'll try and fix that soon. The WAD error is a bit silly, but I think it's happening because the names of the WADs are too long. The limit I've applied for now is 20 characters, I think, so it might be a while until those start working.

Katmint: Thanks for making one of the first videos of SRB2CS! =P

Do you think you could also send the error reported in your errorlog, please? It'll help me solve the sigsegv that you came across - if it isn't the same one as Hinote's.

Everyone: Expect the next release to be another bugfix release - apparently there are a lot of them to deal with! I am looking forward to polishing up the gameplay - particularly in Match/CTF - but bugs are top-priority at the moment.

Also - if you want - follow in Katmint's footsteps! I would just love to compare two people's videos from the same netgame, and see how things differ between their points-of-view. As you probably already know, some really wacky things can happen in this mod!

Katmint: Thanks for making one of the first videos of SRB2CS! =P

Do you think you could also send the error reported in your errorlog, please? It'll help me solve the sigsegv that you came across - if it isn't the same one as Hinote's.

EIP=004d1211

It's different. :P

Also, when the next beta comes I plan on replacing that video with a new video that actually has sound. :D

The Team Match issue is something that came along with Alam's build of SRB2. I'll try and fix that soon. The WAD error is a bit silly, but I think it's happening because the names of the WADs are too long. The limit I've applied for now is 20 characters, I think, so it might be a while until those start working.

What do you mean by "Alam's build of SRB2?"

When I first saw the username "LXShadow", I thought my eyes were deceiving me.

Boy, was I wrong! Great to see that you're doing amazing things other than hacking Spyro games!

What do you mean by "Alam's build of SRB2?"

I called it that, hoping it would make sense; but I don't think it did. =P

Actually, I'm not very sure what I mean - I wasn't the one who performed the merge. From what I can see (I'm new to SVNs and the like), the source code from the ALAM branch was used as a replacement base for SRB2CS. The bugfixes I made might have simply been due to an errors in the merge; I'm afraid I can't really tell. =/

When I first saw the username "LXShadow", I thought my eyes were deceiving me.

Boy, was I wrong! Great to see that you're doing amazing things other than hacking Spyro games!

Vash, you're alive! I haven't seen you around in ages. I'm glad you're liking this - as well as my hacking, which I didn't even notice you were watching. =P

I can't believe how many old friends and competitors have seemingly been resurrected since the release of this mod. What can I say? It's great to see you all!

So am I doing something wrong or is there just nobody hosting in CS? I used beta 4 like the instructions say so until beta 5 is done but when I look for a server to join or host there are no active players. Am I doing anything wrong or are people just not hosting?

If I ever do find out what the problem is I hope we can have a match again LX. Just for good times.

sigh, if you going to use the Subverison repos for bugfixes, why not also get an account and branch to store your code?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

So am I doing something wrong or is there just nobody hosting in CS? I used beta 4 like the instructions say so until beta 5 is done but when I look for a server to join or host there are no active players. Am I doing anything wrong or are people just not hosting?

Usually I host CS from time to time, so I don't know for sure.
You could always check the Master Server and look for someone hosting version 1.10.6.

Probably people aren't hosting CS at the time and you're doing nothing wrong.

Oh, and I found CS does something funny in NiGHTS mode.
srb20056.png
Call me weird, but I just seem to giggle at it.

Oh, and you're welcome LXShadow! If I happen to find anymore bugs I'll be happy to report them.

sigh, if you going to use the Subverison repos for bugfixes, why not also get an account and branch to store your code?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Using the SVN was never my choice; I'm just following along with the few other people who are/were involved in this project. As long as I include the source code with the EXE, should this matter?

Oh, and I found CS does something funny in NiGHTS mode.
srb20056.png

Whoops - NiGHTS mode is something I haven't touched upon yet. I'll keep that in mind when I next update. We don't need bored levitating hedgehogs in the middle of a race.

Also, it's looking like Beta 5 might be working with the Master Server now (I just tried hosting Beta 4 and it did not show up, whereas Beta 5 did). If that's the case, then it'll be best to upgrade now. The old beta is still around, just in case. Thanks everyone for your patience in this slightly awkward moment!

You know, I think Race would be very easily done with this. The players race as normal, then send the host their lap times, and then they would be compared. The host wouldn't decide the player's laptimes, the players would. =3

You must still be using beta 4. Since beta 5 works now people are using that. I just found a server there today.

I like how there is less to no clag in the games now. I do find it annoying when you hit someone directly with a ring and they run past you unaffected, but thats how you know those people would have had clag in the original SRB2. I don't think that can be helped though because of course someone is going to lag in a netgame.

I always considered what would happen if SRB2 used this kind of online usage when I was playing zOMG on Gaiaonline 57 billion years ago.

Not having lag eases up the pain I have trying to recover from being mauled in every kind of direction just cause my timing is off, having more precise controls now will make things a lot easier.

Sorry about the lack of updates, everyone. I've been a bit unsure as to how I could push this mod further. I also haven't seen many servers up, which is bad news for a multiplayer-exclusive mod (and means I couldn't really test any new experimental features to combat ping).

Cue: The issue is that the MS admins need to update the MODVERSION at times. I don't think the source code will help with that, but thanks for the link - it might be helpful in the future.

Ezer.Arch: The message was supposed tell you which version the server was using (and that your version was incompatible). Apparently I should have broke that message up into more lines - sorry about that!

J-town: Having the server register the times won't be difficult (and is already done in Beta 5); it's just making sure that the players get an accurate picture of who's-in-which-place. That is near impossible to do.

The future of this mod is really uncertain at the moment- I think it's reached a point where people prefer to use the old, more reliable (technically speaking =/) netcode rather than this somewhat awkward one. I haven't updated this mod since Beta 5, but we'll see.

The issue is that the MS admins need to update the MODVERSION at times.

MODVERSION only pops up a message if the MS's listed version is greater than the client's. It does absolutely nothing if they're the same or the client's is greater than the MS's. If it DID break when it wasn't an exact match, I wouldn't have been able to text XMOD X-010 on people in IRC.

If your code is relying on an exact MODVERSION match, something's wrong and you should fix it.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell, because during one update it seemed as though the latest version wasn't working with the MS (since the MS's version had not been updated). Maybe this wasn't really the case- I don't know. I haven't touched that area of the MS code, so it should work as any other mod would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back