My Sonic Game that i made from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

spriter12

i haven't got a name for it yet but it tookl alot of time and decided to release an early level. heres the link here
i have been working on this for about a week now my hard work has created this.

The level design sucks :P through it may be a test level, but at least the engine is quite stable (aka you know what it'll do and Sonic will obey you :P learn that, Sega). No comments about the HUD, it's obviously a debug one.

Two things through:
  • Never put rings over a pit if you can't reach them in the top of a jump, otherwise you'll lose the life always if you try to get them.
  • Sonic seems to die when he goes out of the screen, when he should die only if he goes under the screen >_>

It's mildly entertaining. My critisism both ways in a list:

Good:
Engine is mostly stable.
Animation is clean and smooth.
Quite functional as a basic platformer engine.

Bad:
Not much "Sonic" here. One could easily replace the sprites and get a Mario game.
"Fangame Collision Syndrome" a nasty, yet all too common tendancy of fangames to have poor collision routines, that makes the player stand on walls.
There's no decelleration, which can be tricky at times in the platforming.
Topspeed is a bit slow for a Sonic game.
Holding jump allows you to rapid jump (I think just changing the action used will fix this in GameMaker)

Don't let the longer list of Bad fool you, this is a midly entertaining game, and quite acceptable as a random demo.

Draykon said:
"Fangame Collision Syndrome" a nasty, yet all too common tendancy of fangames to have poor collision routines, that makes the player stand on walls.
And on ceilings sometimes. What happens is that people just check against collision with the level, but they don't check from where is the collision. This is the cause of this bug. There isn't an easy solution for it. You either have to script your own engine (you know, using the scripting abilities of Game Maker), or do some cheap hack (like putting a little bouncing) that would make the collision to fail. This would also affect collision against floor, but gravity would make the player stick to it again.

thanks for all the critism :). im still way into the beta production of the game and when i get gm pro (next month) i'll be able to upgrade with 360 motion ^.^. and im getting help with the spin dash and wall colisions. but with it just being me on the team it can be hard work at times. but i'll keep you guys posted on progress in this thread

dude its just a bug test calm down! i might not even use that song. and the game didn't crash for any one else. whats your os?

It's nice, but the engine needs a bit of work on it.
The oddest bug I found was that if you jump, you can still duck by pressing down.
And you need to work on accelleration.
Don't worry, it's better than my last try to do a fangame in C and allegro. ;)
I'm running Windows Server 2003 x64 here and nothing crashed.

Did Elbo even try to run it again? Maybe it was just an one-time crash. Hey, those are more common than you think :P

Sik said:
Did Elbo even try to run it again? Maybe it was just an one-time crash. Hey, those are more common than you think :P
Yes I tried a few times. And please call me EBLO, Elbo is some jackass from Youtube who stole my face and name.

Where he says "heres the link here" in the first post, click on "here" :P Ugh, similar colors strike again... Wait, didn't BigBoi long time ago complain about this already? (yes, BigBoi, so this was looooong time ago)

supersrb2fan said:
where is your link i want the game
sorry no source for any one yet. its just a beta beta.
but im glad every one likes its but any, EBLO what your OS for the second time?

spriter12 said:
supersrb2fan said:
where is your link i want the game
sorry no source for any one yet. its just a beta beta.
but im glad every one likes its but any, EBLO what your OS for the second time?
OS? Is that some type of Mac or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back