SRB2CS: With new Match/CTF netcode! (BETA 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Client-to-client networking is a nice idea, but doesn't it open new ways to cheat/hack in SRB2 netgames? I do not know if I am right, but I think so. :/

stuff about me playing CTF in Nimbus Ruins yesterday
I don't know what you are smoking, but I left the netgame after five minutes when we were still in Noxious Factory. Also, no need to call me "competent in his own right", I'm a pretty inexperienced player ;)

But I admit your story sounds much more awesome this way :)

I'm soooo downloading now, and if I don't see this in 2.1... I'll nuke STJr. :P
I have the impression that some of you guys don't read. There's no way this will be added to 2.1. The official netcode is much more accurate and stable than this one. It's just that with high latency, this allows you to play more easily and stand a chance against people with low latency or the host. But I don't think the official EXE should cater to users with bad connections at the cost of accuracy. This should stay an alternative.

Why can't it be added as an alternative? Like, as you're hosting a server, you can choose either the normal netcode or the CS netcode notifying that each one has its ups and downs.
Unless this is impossible, I wouldn't see this as being bad.

Well I'm so glad LXshadow got this to ready for release.

Now I got some things to ask.

Why cant I connect to the Master server at all? Even though you said it works fine.

No I mean it wont let me connect at all to the Master Server at all

When i click join game net game it wont load up the list at all.

For some reason the EXE wont let me connect to the master server whenever I tried to host. "cshost 5030" gives me a connection error after a while, and choosing "Join Game" gives me no servers at all. And I know for a fact that there ARE servers out there, because I showed a couple of servers being hosted right now in vanilla SRB2. Port 5030 IS forwarded, and using "csconnect" doesn't work either. I have absolutely no idea what the problem is.

EDIT: Ignore what I just crossed out, that problem has already been resolved. Hosting still isn't working for me though.
EDIT2: asdfg, Never mind, when I try to join someone's server on the list, it said I was unable to join the game. Ugh.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've got a lot of things to address here...

rmr14m.png
This happened to someone after we switched from CTF to Match with him holding the flag before we switched.

After changing from CTF to Match.. This is what happened.
srb20051.png

I also noticed a few issues, my friend Sky quickly changed to Tails and started to fly, but he appeared to be as a flying Super Sonic for a bit, as well as when switching from Match to CTF, everyone was flying as solid spectators for a bit, it was silly for sure :P Also when shooting someone, I saw them in their death state for a moment, and they didn't get hurt.

Thanks for these reports! The "GOT FLAG!" and death state isues have been fixed. On the other hand, the spectator and character issues are only visual and temporary; so in the name of bandwidth conservation (and overall better gameplay), I'm letting those slip for now. (They're pretty fun to watch anyway. =P)

There are indeed times when players teleport and rings miss when they shouldn't. This is SRB2CS's equivalent of spike lag and control lag, respectively. Changing your playstyle may help - when under high ping, keep your distance from opponents and/or use rails more frequently. Doing this will generally make gameplay more accurate on the high-ping battlefield.

I'm also going to agree with most of what Prime 2.0 has said. But there's a point I'd like to make. As far as Match and CTF go, this mod was designed purely to give players a new alternative. We now have a choice between trying to play in control lag, or being assisted by automated lag compensation. We can now choose whether the host and nearby clients have an advantage, or whether all players have a fighting chance against each other. That's the focus of this mod. After five years of playing this game, I'd rather have a few unregistered ring hits than try to aim everything 200ms ahead of time.

Race mode... I'm still a bit iffy about implementing this. Because SRB2 is indeed very fast, the player prediction will be hard to do - as anyone with control lag could tell, predicting where a player will be in 200 milliseconds isn't easy. If anyone's interested in seeing how it may look without it, though, there's always the -force parameter!

Thanks again for your feedback, everyone! I can't wait to get in a big netgame and see how it performs. Unfortunately, not many people are around yet... guess I'd better start work on a time-zone mod!

Edit: I'm afraid MS support is new, and is still largely untested. It's worth reminding that you won't be able to successfully join a server if it doesn't have CS mode (cshost) enabled. There may also be some conflicts between this mod and SRB2CB (due to a similar version number). Other errors may be beyond my control - make sure no firewalls are blocking SRB2, and make sure that both ports (5029 and 5030) are opened on the UDP protocol. (Hopefully, this won't be necessary for much longer.)

Edit 2: Bbop800, you're right - MS support seems to have completely broken overnight. I'll be looking into this.

Last edited:
I don't know what you are smoking, but I left the netgame after five minutes when we were still in Noxious Factory. Also, no need to call me "competent in his own right", I'm a pretty inexperienced player ;)

But I admit your story sounds much more awesome this way :)

Fff, mixed you up with Boinciel, sorry.

A question about this mod. Am I able to host a dedicated server? Every time I try to do so, it sigsevs me when someone joins.

I'm pretty sure in the batch file I do this.
Code:
srb2cs.exe -dedicated -internetserver -room 33
But when I do host, it turns out like this:
Code:
Map is now "MAP80: LIME FOREST ZONE"
Time limit disabled
Levels will end after a team scores 5 points.
>cshost 
Attempting to host on port 5030...
>cshost 5030
Player 1 has joined the game.
Unregistering this server to the master server...
I_ShutdownTcpDriver: shut down
signal_handler() error: segment violation

Race mode... I'm still a bit iffy about implementing this. Because SRB2 is indeed very fast, the player prediction will be hard to do - as anyone with control lag could tell, predicting where a player will be in 200 milliseconds isn't easy. If anyone's interested in seeing how it may look without it, though, there's always the -force parameter!
The thing is, SRB2's race mode is not interactive between players, so even when it breaks down and looks quirky, the fact that your opponent is teleporting a bit isn't an issue like it is in match.

A question about this mod. Am I able to host a dedicated server? Every time I try to do so, it sigsevs me when someone joins.

I'm afraid dedicated servers aren't supported yet - sorry. People are still getting the occasional sigsegv during gameplay, so I think it's best that the game be made more stable before support for dedicated servers is added.

The thing is, SRB2's race mode is not interactive between players, so even when it breaks down and looks quirky, the fact that your opponent is teleporting a bit isn't an issue like it is in match.

That's true, but it's quite important that everyone knows who crossed the finish line first. This can be really hard to work out behind a ping of ~200 ms or more - in 200 ms, one could thok and appear several hundred fracunits away before anyone else notices it. I don't know... I haven't really experimented with Race mode yet.

In the meantime, many bug fixes are being done. Expect a new beta release soon!

I'm afraid dedicated servers aren't supported yet - sorry. People are still getting the occasional sigsegv during gameplay, so I think it's best that the game be made more stable before support for dedicated servers is added.

That's true, but it's quite important that everyone knows who crossed the finish line first. This can be really hard to work out behind a ping of ~200 ms or more - in 200 ms, one could thok and appear several hundred fracunits away before anyone else notices it. I don't know... I haven't really experimented with Race mode yet.

In the meantime, many bug fixes are being done. Expect a new beta release soon!
Is a player judgement necessary? Wouldn't the server announce who finished in order like it normally does? And what about the results screen? Or am I getting this wrong here?

This sounds great, but I don't understand why mismatchment is a factor in COOP, other than Tails flying people, there is no interaction. As for who finished first, who the hell cares, it's coop.
Other than that it seems like a great alternative for some. (although if OpenGL is dropped because this is implemented, I'm out of a hobby)
Keep up the great work!

but I don't understand why mismatchment is a factor in COOP

Enemies, linedef executors, et cetera.

While there's very little interaction between players in Co-op, there's a LOT of interaction between each player and the environment, which has a significant affect on everyone else.

Didn't know, but now I do!
Thanks!
I guess if I played this once I'd be able to answer questions like this myself. But I'm not big on the 1st person shooters, that's why I play Sonic. :p
I think I'll try CTF again though if for no other reason than to get the flag and run! Which will be easier with perfect control.

No, honestly, all you need to know is when each player finishes. You don't have to see them crossing the finish line as long as they can see themselves crossing it. Once they cross the finish line they'll send that time to the server, which in turn tells all the other players that that player has finished, start the runoff timer if it's the first player to finish, and then you compare the results at the end. Then the rest can just be the same as match's netcode (rings, monitors, some race maps have enemies).

Last edited:
No, honestly, all you need to know is when each player finishes. You don't have to see them crossing the finish line as long as they can see themselves crossing it. Once they cross the finish line they'll send that time to the server, which in turn tells all the other players that that player has finished, start the runoff timer if it's the first player to finish, and then you compare the results at the end. Then the rest can just be the same as match's netcode (rings, monitors, some race maps have enemies).

Doing it that way wouldn't be too bad, but I'm reminded of a beta test I did before this was released. Even though it was incompatible, we tried out Race mode. All the time I was racing, however, I was constantly worried that my opponent was actually in front of me, even when it might have seemed otherwise. Their ping was about 257 ms, so when we were close-up I had no idea who was really in front. (This was a real downer for my confidence, so I lost the race, too. =P </excuse>)

However, I'll try my best and will probably implement Race mode soon, when Match and CTF are stable enough. In the meantime, give Beta 2 a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back