• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Wonderful errors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kman

I'm currently taking another shot at level making, and imagine my surprise ad glee when I want to test my level and I get a wonderful message saying "signal_handler(): segment violation." Of course, being still fairly new to level making, I have no clue as to what this means! So if someone out there can please help me, I would be eternally grateful. If you think you can fix my problem, you can download my dilemma here

Opening with Doom Builder: Nothing. Nothing at all.

Opening with XWE: What? Why is your map map named MAPZ1? Name it MAP01.

You have lots of missing sidedefs and unclosed sectors. Press F4 if you're using Doom Builder: it'll check the map for (some) errors. This might be a symptom of drawing the thok barrier after creating the level, or of moving sectors around other sectors, which most editors won't handle properly. To quote a441 in his level-editing guide:

a441 said:
Rude interruption: This is another important point that I think some of my guide's past readers have missed. Linedefs have a "front sector," that their front side belongs to, and (if they're two-sided) a "back sector," that their back side belongs to. We'll see how exactly that works later. For now, understand that if you drag sectors around with reckless abandon, or try to use the technique I just showed you to make a sector outside another sector, they're going to end up being set wrong, and that's not something you want to worry about at this point. Linedefs and sectors need to be handled with care.

To which I add: DB has partial support for drawing sectors outside existing ones, but it's not predictable enough to trust in anything but the most simple of situations.

Kman said:
So what you're saying is that I should just start over?
You can fix it, but it'll take a while. You need to find all the broken sidedefs and fix them - set them to point to the correct sector, and create them if they're missing. It may be quicker to start again, since you haven't done all that much yet.

I sometimes find that when I delete a sector connected to another sector inside the Thok Barrier. I was able to walk around in there until I fixed it. 0_o

Boinciel said:
I sometimes find that when I delete a sector connected to another sector inside the Thok Barrier. I was able to walk around in there until I fixed it. 0_o
Yes, deleting sectors connected to other ones is not supported very well. The way to do it is to merge the sector you want to delete with its containing sector.

Doom Builder is making me angry! :x I finally fixed my level up, made a level header, and I get the same error! The funny thing is though, is that it works fine without the level header. So, if someone could take a look at it (again...) and find out what my problem is, then I would be grateful.my dillemaAs in drop on my knees and worship you kind of grateful

Kman said:
Doom Builder is making me angry! :x I finally fixed my level up, made a level header, and I get the same error! The funny thing is though, is that it works fine without the level header. So, if someone could take a look at it (again...) and find out what my problem is, then I would be grateful.my dillemaAs in drop on my knees and worship you kind of grateful

The file that you posted has two lumps, thus:
  • MAP01, which contained the level header; and
  • SPACESTA which contained an entire wad itself.
I don't know exactly how it ended up like that, but you must've made a mistake in the way you added the header. Are you using lumpmod? Getting the arguments in the wrong order could conceivably achieve an effect not entirely dissimilar to that.

Anyway, what you should do is this: take the wad as produced by Doom Builder, and add a lump called either MAP01D or MAINCFG containing the map header text. You should leave all the other lumps intact.

I've discovered what's wrong: SRB2 editing utilities hate me. XWE refuses to allow me to add my map, SLumpED adds an extra lump and makes me have errors, Doom Builder confuses me on purpose, my SOC editor doesn't even work properly! Now whenever I try making a new WAD with SLumpED, the map appears in the list of lumps, but doesn't apear when I add the WAD. The good news, however, is that if I add my MAINCFG.txt, then add my spacestation.wad, my map works, not much of a good news, I know.

EDIT: Today gets worse and worse, I'm losing my internet for 2 weeks in an hour...

Kman said:
I've discovered what's wrong: SRB2 editing utilities hate me. XWE refuses to allow me to add my map, SLumpED adds an extra lump and makes me have errors, Doom Builder confuses me on purpose, my SOC editor doesn't even work properly! Now whenever I try making a new WAD with SLumpED, the map appears in the list of lumps, but doesn't apear when I add the WAD. The good news, however, is that if I add my MAINCFG.txt, then add my spacestation.wad, my map works, not much of a good news, I know.

EDIT: Today gets worse and worse, I'm losing my internet for 2 weeks in an hour...
I think you might be confused about the way wads are structured. Wads cannot be added inside other wads (at least not usefully...). Lumps are contained in wads, not the other way around.

Yes, but something is wrong. Here's what I did step by step.

1. Made a level
2. Had an error
3. Asked forum community for help
4. Followed Oogaland's advice and remade it
5. Saved the map and tested it multiple times
6. Made the map header
7. Downloaded XWE
8. Gave up on XWE (after trying, saved file as space.wad)
9. Downloaded SLumpED
10. Made a WAD (saved file as space2.wad)
11. WAD didn't work
12. Got frustrated and asked for more help
13. Followed Oogaland's advice, again
14. Realized that SRB2 editing utilities are out to get me
15. Decided not to map for a long time after this was over

How the heck am I supposed to save my map as something other than a WAD?

You're not supposed to save it as anything except a WAD. It's that simple. =)

Then how can I not put a WAD inside a WAD? Am I supposed to extract the lumps from the level WAD somehow and add those into SLumpED?

Kman said:
Then how can I not put a WAD inside a WAD? Am I supposed to extract the lumps from the level WAD somehow and add those into SLumpED?
You don't need to go as far as that. SlumpED, XWE et al. work with wad files. Open the wad file that you made with Doom Builder in one of these. This will show you a list of lumps, which contain all the internal data that describes your map, in several lumps. You don't need to worry about the contents of these lumps. To add your map header, you add an extra lump (MAP01D or MAINCFG) to your map wad file, containing the header text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back