Rise of the Triad is being remade (yes yes yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting
Watch the trailer here. This forum won't let me embed Youtube videos, so seriously, just watch it.

So, yeah. I'm pretty hyped for this. I've always been a huge fan of this game, ever since I was old enough to use a keyboard. I never thought they'd make anything related to this game ever again, since the company who made it (3D Realms), died out a long time ago, but... damn.

Now, some of you might be wondering, what IS Rise of the Triad. Basically, it's an FPS that came out pretty much right after Doom 2, while using an engine that wasn't quite as powerful as Doom's. While it wasn't as pretty, I'd personally say it had a lot more style. The music was better (in my own opinion, anyway), there were some really cool weapons, like the Flamewall, which shot out a wall of fire that skeletonized enemies, and there was a God Mode. No, I don't mean the cheat mode. I mean there was a powerup that you could pick up that would literally turn you into the hand of God, who constantly made silly "wooooooom" noises. Also, gibs. Tons and tons of gibs. LUDICROUS GIBS, you could say.

If you want to know more than that, I've written an article on it for a certain game site I'm on.

If you want more of an idea on what this remake will probably be like, you can download Return of the Triad, a fan-made sequel in the ZDoom engine, which keeps pretty much all the awesome stuff from the original game while adding in new levels. Or you can buy the original game off of GOG for $6.

The Verge said:
Rise of the Triad, the classic 90s PC shooter from Duke Nukem developer Apogee Software, will be remade and released for Steam using Unreal Engine 3 later this year by Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded developer Interceptor Entertainment.

The franchise's revival was announced onstage at QuakeCon today after being teased by the game's Twitter account earlier today. The game will traverse the cult-infested storyline of the original game, albeit in a fully 3D world to replace the Doom-like corridors of the original.

"We were seeking a strong, independent, hard-working development partner to herald the eagerly-anticipated return of Rise of the Triad," said Terry Nagy, co-founder and Chief Creative Officer of Apogee. "We have indeed found that partner in Interceptor Entertainment."

The official site also detailed some of the game's new (and old) features. Rise of the Triad will honor its namesake with five different playable characters, each with their own attributes and play styles. Your chosen team member will shoot through more than 20 single-player levels and multiplayer matches — the latter of which will be moddable using Steamworks. The game will also feature the original soundtrack.

The oftentimes zany nature of the original will be preserved as well with returning weapons like the Flamewall, Drunk Missile, and Excalibat. Other announced weapons include dual pistols, the MP40, Heatseeker, Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile and Dark Staff. Single-player missions can be played in God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Dog mode, and Shrooms mode, while multiplayer options include zero gravity and "gunfinity."

The game is playable at QuakeCon this week so expect our full impressions of the game from the floor later this week. Apogee Software's Scott Miller teased the possibility of a Rise of the Triad revival in 2009.

I really wish the OpenGL source port for the original didn't always crash so much. I want to play it with more modern controls (because using keyboard keys to look up/down = ew), but I can't do that if it crashes while in fullscreen, making it impossible for me to alt-tab out of it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back