Four 2.1 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, all updates have impressed me so far! I'll say, the LUA scripting one may seem like a minor update as well. The nuke shield seems pretty better than it was, first a gray color, then a red color.

The record attack feature and the now-colored emblems really did not grab my attention that much, though.

I don't really believe the Ghosts in the time attack thing....I don't think that's possible.
But LUA Scripting is good. It will make editing MUCH Easier.

I'll say, the LUA scripting one may seem like a minor update as well.

...If I'm reading this right, I'll take it you don't know what Lua scripting would mean for SRB2 at all, right? =V

By the way, guys, "Lua" isn't an abbreviation, and so doesn't need to be capitalised. =P

I don't really believe the Ghosts in the time attack thing....I don't think that's possible.
Why should it not be? If it's possible to record replays, it should also be possible to display them as ghosts.

But LUA Scripting is good. It will make editing MUCH Easier.
Actually, it won't. You need coding knowledge to use it.

Actually, it won't. You need coding knowledge to use it.

Arguably it will, as things that require lots of loopholes or hackery to work currently - or require modification of the source - will suddenly be significantly easier to accomplish.

It depends on your perspective, relatively speaking mapping is difficult for a programmer and programming is difficult for a mapper.

Uh... actually SpiritCrusher...
Replays right now are recorded input data. We only see the replays re-enact what the player did. But having them play WITH the player in real-time is impossible with the current setup. For a simple reason, really. Suppose that in the replay, the ghost jumps on a Crawla and bounces to a high ledge. In-game, you can just go up to that Crawla, destroy it, and when the ghost goes to bounce on it, it fails.
Because the replay didn't record the player's bounce, it recorded the input data. It recorded something like "hold jump and forward for 2 seconds". The ghost alone would re-do that, and because the Crawla is still there, that thing about holding jump and forward would result in a successful bounce. Without the Crawla, that input would have a very different outcome.

That said, I remember that there was some discussion about a new replay system. Tons of games with ghosts use a replay system that doesn't record input data.

And I gotta say, I'm surprised at how there are still no clear answers regarding these pics. Some people say they're fake, others say it's true, the devs are laughing out loud, and everyone is confusing and confused.
Personally, only the extra emblems seem like an obvious joke. Revamped shields are basically a must - the current shields are pretty bland. LUA support is nothing too impossible, and the ghosts, like I said, are very possible.
But extra emblems? I'm not buying it for one reason: GHZ1 can hardly hide 3 emblems due to its tiny size - imagine trying to hide 8 emblems. ...I'd still like to see extra emblems for the other stages, though, I guess.

And I gotta say, I'm surprised at how there are still no clear answers regarding these pics. Some people say they're fake, others say it's true, the devs are laughing out loud, and everyone is confusing and confused.

For the record, they've all been confirmed to be real, in case you haven't realised that yet. The info in the first post is all on the SRB2 Wiki now, and two of the four things listed were revealed months before April Fools Day (the emblems and ghosts in Record Attack, to be specific).

Personally, only the extra emblems seem like an obvious joke.
[...]
But extra emblems? I'm not buying it for one reason: GHZ1 can hardly hide 3 emblems due to its tiny size - imagine trying to hide 8 emblems. ...I'd still like to see extra emblems for the other stages, though, I guess.

Your mistake here is assuming they're all emblems literally hidden in the map itself. At least some of them have been revealed to be for stuff such as time attack, ring count, score count.

Oh, and by the way, none of them are character-specific emblems anymore - not in vanilla SRB2, anyway.

Last edited:
Uh... actually SpiritCrusher...
Replays right now are recorded input data. We only see the replays re-enact what the player did. But having them play WITH the player in real-time is impossible with the current setup.
Obviously, 2.1 will not use the current setup. I'm sure the problem can be worked around by having the ghost player and the real player interact on different "maps", so to speak, i.e. having the game calculate the enemy (and all other objects that interact with the player) behavior twice: once for the ghost player and once for the real player. That way, what the real player does is completely independent of what the ghost player does.

Or maybe the game just records position data for the ghosts or does something entirely else. I don't know. It's definitely possible though.

And I gotta say, I'm surprised at how there are still no clear answers regarding these pics.
There are. All pictures are genuine. It has been stated numerous times in this thread.

Not all emblems are hidden on the map. One of them has confirmed to be for time attack, and it can be assumed that there's one for score attack and one for ring attack as well. That leaves five emblems to be hidden in the map (possibly less if there are other extra emblems). This is definitely possible even in GFZ1. It's the first level, so it makes sense to have a few emblems that are relatively easy to find so that the player actually notices that these things exist.

Arguably it will, as things that require lots of loopholes or hackery to work currently - or require modification of the source - will suddenly be significantly easier to accomplish.
Of course, for those who can code it makes things a lot easier. But most people here can't code, so editing won't be easier for those people.

Or maybe the game just records position data for the ghosts or does something entirely else.
This is how it works. It now records both the player input as well as position.

Not all emblems are hidden on the map. One of them has confirmed to be for time attack, and it can be assumed that there's one for score attack and one for ring attack as well. That leaves five emblems to be hidden in the map (possibly less if there are other extra emblems). This is definitely possible even in GFZ1. It's the first level, so it makes sense to have a few emblems that are relatively easy to find so that the player actually notices that these things exist.
This is also 100% true. While we may change things before release, currently there are five hidden emblems in each stage, and one emblem each for a high score, high rings, and fast time. The "hidden" emblems are not very well hidden in GFZ1 for the most part, for exactly the reason SpiritCrusher stated.

Since Monster stated that the emblems aren't character specific anymore, does that mean all character will have access to the emblems? One example is the Tails emblem in Green Flower Zone Act 1. I'm guessing that some emblems are just impossible to collect without using a certain character?

Since Monster stated that the emblems aren't character specific anymore, does that mean all character will have access to the emblems? One example is the Tails emblem in Green Flower Zone Act 1. I'm guessing that some emblems are just impossible to collect without using a certain character?
Nobody ever said that the current emblems would stay in the same place.

For 2.1 I think they should also add 3D flowers and other 3D things such as springs although SRB2 is suppose to be a 3D game, there is still ALLOT of things in it that aren't 3D.

For 2.1 I think they should also add 3D flowers and other 3D things such as springs although SRB2 is suppose to be a 3D game, there is still ALLOT of things in it that aren't 3D.

SRB2 is fine like it is.

Also, I've read the news on the site and I can't wait to see all of these features soon.

You haven't met my friend "stylism" before?

Though I do kinda dislike the spring sprites in SRB2. I feel like they should be twice the size they are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back