SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 09-07-2017   #5821
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehRealSalt View Post
Overriding your cool shield that has special abilities and resistances with a normal 1-hit shield in Mania is awful though :V
Accidentally replacing my bubble shield with a poop shield and then getting hit by a projectile that my bubble shield would have deflected is the saddest I've ever been at a Sonic game.

On a side note, the pity shield is really obnoxious to look at

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017   #5822
Murilo
Elyos03

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
Same though. It should be blue back then. Please make it happpen in 2.2!
Old 09-08-2017   #5823
Rapidgame7
pressure pressure pressure

It would be really useful to see a hook that triggers when the game is saving/loading so we can shove Lua variables in a savefile or load them.
<Rapidgame7> AAAAAUUUUGGGGH
Rapidgame7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017   #5824
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
How about spreading some Pity Shield Monitors in the Singleplayer Stages like in Sonic Mania?
I believe the Pity Shield is only intended to help players who are being killed a lot in the ring-slinger game types (such as Match). It's directly worse than all other shields (except the Force shield if it only has 1 hit left, I think), where-as the other shields are different from each other, not directly better/worse. It would just not be fun to encounter it as a monitor in a level, let alone accidentally popping it if you have a different shield and don't want a directly worse shield. In other words, I just personally don't think that's a good idea.

Edit: Also, sure, the basic shield is in Sonic Mania... but if you look at Sonic 3 and/or Knuckles, there's not a single basic shield, with there only being the different Bubble, Electric, and Flame shields. That it was taken out of that game (compared to Sonic 1/2) helps show that having a basic shield in the mix isn't fun, since it otherwise likely would have remained. You have to remember, Sonic Mania is... sort of a "remix" of classic Sonic games, including 1 and 2 (with their basic shields).

One thing that might help it fit better in stages would be making it so the Pity Shield monitor won't give you a shield if you already have a different one... but the concept of [a monitor doing different things depending on whether you have another shield or not] sounds awful to me.

Edit 2: And another thing, in Sonic Mania, Sonic has a Drop Dash ability. If you have the Bubble, Electric, or Flame shield, Sonic's mid-air ability changes, but as one might like to combine protection from damage with the Drop Dash ability, the basic shield allows you to do that. I think that may also be one of the reasons it's there in Sonic Mania.

Last edited by Zwip-Zwap Zapony; 09-08-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017   #5825
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwip-Zwap Zapony View Post
It's directly worse than all other shields (except the Force shield if it only has 1 hit left, I think)
Technically speaking, a damaged force shield is still desirable over a pity shield -- when absorbing damage, the force shield reflects the projectile back at the attacker.

Old 09-08-2017   #5826
Lumi

I would have to suggest a few things:
1) Remake the website to be more modern. Include more information, remove redundant information, and just generally bring it up to today's standards.
2) A Twitter account. Essentially, a place where you guys can post news on a more populated site, and we can ask questions easier.
3) A Discord server. A place where players can ask questions, set up servers to get people to join, and just chat in general.
4) Much further off, i want a rework of Servers.

Generally, i want you guys to bring this game to today. We're still stuck in the past. Tons of redundant information, redundant sites, and lacking the general things most games, hell, even fangames have today. Doing so should help to bring it back into the limelight as probably the king of fangames. (C'mon, we're closing in on 19 years, almost 20. Let's not act like it's still the 90's!)

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I legit made my account just to post this lmao
Lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017   #5827
Lach
what the thok mate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Same though. It should be blue back then. Please make it happpen in 2.2!
A little unrelated, but I actually put together a modified pity shield a while back to see how this would look. https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/Obedi...ngelwingmussel
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017   #5828
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

Quote:
Technically speaking, a damaged force shield is still desirable over a pity shield -- when absorbing damage, the force shield reflects the projectile back at the attacker.
Actually, that feature was removed in 2.1.
MascaraSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017   #5829
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwip-Zwap Zapony View Post
I believe the Pity Shield is only intended to help players who are being killed a lot in the ring-slinger game types (such as Match). It's directly worse than all other shields (except the Force shield if it only has 1 hit left, I think), where-as the other shields are different from each other, not directly better/worse. It would just not be fun to encounter it as a monitor in a level, let alone accidentally popping it if you have a different shield and don't want a directly worse shield. In other words, I just personally don't think that's a good idea.
This is the correct reason. We want there to be a trade-off between shields. If you find a shield while you already have one, we want you to have to decide "is this better than what I currently have in this situation?" In fact, we're planning on changing a few things for 2.2 to make that decision even harder.

The basic shield was added purely as a balancing feature in match. If we were to use it in a normal stage as a gimmick, that stage would ONLY include the basic shield, like Sonic 1/2.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017   #5830
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Thankfully I think we've replaced that shield's seizure inducing animation with something easier on the eyes IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
You've never been able to use abilities while holding the flag
Wait hold on, I thought you could in any version before 1.09? (Mind you, that DID come out nearly 12 years ago now.)

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 09-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017   #5831
GreenKnight9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehRealSalt View Post
Overriding your cool shield that has special abilities and resistances with a normal 1-hit shield in Mania is awful though :V
That's part of the fun, it's like the Robotnik monitor!
Think of it like a joke item.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
a little unrelated, but i actually put together a modified pity shield a while back to see how this would look. https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/obedi...ngelwingmussel
Holy crap... MAKE THIS HAPPEN
GreenKnight9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017   #5832
Lumi

And another few suggestions: A difficulty selector. This would, on easy, allow for the use of cheats to finish the game and unlock stuff (Because for a first-time, f*** beating ERZ without cheats) among other things for harder difficulties, and a Clear mode, allowing you to select any stage similar to S3K or the Hub mod.
Lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017   #5833
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Hah, SRB2 used to have difficulty levels as it happens, but they were removed a long time ago.

That said, allowing you to unlock stuff despite using cheats would be a terrible idea. It would defeat the point of having harder difficulty levels when you could just cheat through Easy to get everything.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017   #5834
Murilo
Elyos03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
And another few suggestions: A difficulty selector. This would, on easy, allow for the use of cheats to finish the game and unlock stuff (Because for a first-time, f*** beating ERZ without cheats) among other things for harder difficulties, and a Clear mode, allowing you to select any stage similar to S3K or the Hub mod.
Doesn't SRB2 already have a Clear Mode? Try beating the game unmodified. Or beat a complete mod like SUBARASHII.
Old 09-10-2017   #5835
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

The game already has an easy mode. Select Tails at character select.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017   #5836
Murilo
Elyos03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
The game already has an easy mode. Select Tails at character select.
So true. Difficulty is per character nowadays.
Old 09-10-2017   #5837
Murilo
Elyos03

Also, can someone add someday a Secret Final Boss which is only acessible for Sonic with all the Chaos Emeralds obtained like in Mystic Realm?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5838
who-what-where-whale
who-what-where-whale

Could you guys change analog mode so that you can still manually move the camera while it's on? That is basically the only thing preventing me from always playing with that on.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5839
Rumia1
worries too much

You can still manually move the camera while in analog mode, you need to bind the rotate camera controls in the control configuration menu.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5840
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumia1 View Post
You can still manually move the camera while in analog mode, you need to bind the rotate camera controls in the control configuration menu.
This function is almost worthless in its current state because the analog camera fights you by turning by itself.

And if you turn cam_still on, you are still unable to manually move the camera.