SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 08-28-2017   #5801
Fang the Weasle
Can't spell "Weasel"

I know this was an april fool's joke, but was Big the Cat a character wad? Because if he was, Will he be released?
Old 08-28-2017   #5802
Lach
what the thok mate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang the Weasle View Post
I know this was an april fool's joke, but was Big the Cat a character wad? Because if he was, Will he be released?
There were only two frames sprited for the purposes of the April Fools joke, so no, he is unfortunately not a full wad. That's not to say it won't become a legitimate project in the future, however.
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #5803
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

What are you talking about? Big the Cat will be in 2.2, and he hasn't been released separately because he only works with the new version - just like Smiles. You couldn't have Big without his hardcoded fishing abilities!
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #5804
AozoraJustin
AKA Superjustinbros

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
What are you talking about? Big the Cat will be in 2.2, and he hasn't been released separately because he only works with the new version - just like Smiles. You couldn't have Big without his hardcoded fishing abilities!
I'll admit, it'll be fun playing as him.
But how exactly would he fish if there's no aquatic Badniks until DSZ?
AozoraJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #5805
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Make different versions of each stage exclusively for Big? That's what Sonic Adventure did at least. =P
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #5806
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

GFZ does actually have a fish badnik, the SDURF. It doesn't swim, but that just makes it more challenging!
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017   #5807
Steel Titanium

Would it possible to create a Lua function that lets you switch the game palette?
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017   #5808
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Titanium View Post
Would it possible to create a Lua function that lets you switch the game palette?
Does P_FlashPal not work?
Old 08-31-2017   #5809
Monster psychic cat

He probably meant something like the PALETTE option on map headers, so it lasts until the end of the level. Last time I've tested, it doesn't show up on GIFs. It also needs a duration, so you'd need to call it every tic.
Monster psychic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017   #5810
Steel Titanium

Yeah, MPC has it, sure you could edit the default PLAYPAL so the custom palette is in one of the unused slots. Then use P_FlashPal to set it, but that's kinda hacky, and a function that sets the palette like the map header option would be nice.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017   #5811
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Any chance that we can get some way to reference HUD variables in Lua? For instance, I can't check to see if the HUD is disabled unless I set up a local or wrapper or whatever, and this makes cross compatibility with other mods a real pain in the ass.

We also need some way to reference slope properties for player-floor collision/physics.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff

Last edited by CobaltBW; 09-02-2017 at 04:53 PM.
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017   #5812
MHX
Aeonic Lightning

Here's a few suggestions, that I'll probably get a lot of shit for, but they're decent nonetheless.

1) Hard CTF
Capture the flag has always been broken. Once you have the flag, you're more than likely to spam your ability the hell out of there, and capture it. Sometimes you move so quickly, nobody has time to react when they even see you zoom by. A solution to this would be to weigh down the flag, so you move much slower and can't use your abilities as well, similar to Halo, where once you have the flag, you can only walk and jump.

2) Pseudo Lightdash
With the addition of hills and curves, the question may be asked "can we make big loops like in other sonic games?", with the answer being "not really". A pseudo lightdash would fix that.

Making marks similar to how lightdash follows rings, you could place these around your loops or on grind rails. These markers are invisible, and when touched, disable for a second, preventing going the wrong way. For loop markers, they are automatic. Once you start the loop, you automatically spindash around it. For grind rails, you could have the marker trigger the diagonal view of the character sprite, or make a new sprite for your wads, whatever you like. Grind rails could be added in places like Techno Hill. Jumping would break the chain.

These don't need to be done officially, if someone would rather do it themselves for a mod. I only make 2D games and I'm not too familiar with Lua, but theoretically, these shouldn't be too difficult to code. If any of these do get implemented someday, I'd love a message to let me know.
Old 09-06-2017   #5813
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

Abilities are already disabled while carrying the flag. If flag holders moved much slower it'd be impossible to get a capture without being mowed down in the process.
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017   #5814
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

In fact, abilities are disabled purely because they make Sonic able to catch up with the flag carrier by thokking. Our character balance may be broken but this is one of the mechanics that isn't.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017   #5815
MHX
Aeonic Lightning

I must be watching some older footage. You're right, just tested. You can still spindash. Slower movement would work better in a large team, where you need to defend the flag carrier. Ignore that suggestion for now. I was looking at the map editor and if the Linux port gets updated to the slopes, I might make a blood gulch map if nobody else has. That's a type of map where passing the flag and defending the carrier would be important.
Old 09-06-2017   #5816
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

You've never been able to use abilities while holding the flag, but in older versions there were some silly tricks you could do to get around it (such as dropping the flag and thokking into it). We've since fixed those exploits. While it may be a good idea to nerf the spindash for flag carrying, in practice it hasn't generally been an issue because in order to get any real speed out of it you have to stand still for a bit, which in SRB2 is a very severe drawback.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017   #5817
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHX View Post

Making marks similar to how lightdash follows rings, you could place these around your loops or on grind rails. These markers are invisible, and when touched, disable for a second, preventing going the wrong way. For loop markers, they are automatic. Once you start the loop, you automatically spindash around it.
Isn't this what a zoom tube is? With the "rings" in the lightdash being the waypoints? Either way, if it works like a light dash and connects the players between points in a connect-the-dots style, people have done that before and it looks horrendous. There's just no way to not make the player feel like they're tracing out a big ugly polygon angle by angle.

If you've visited the news section during April Fools then you might have seen this: http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=791014&postcount=9
This, plus a speedboost and temporarily disabling control, might be the best way to implement a loop.

But then again, if loops most likely take player control away, then why are they fun again?
Old 09-06-2017   #5818
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

The only reason loops existed in the Classis Sonic games is because they are an obstacle that needs you gain enough speed to clear it
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017   #5819
Murilo
Elyos03

How about spreading some Pity Shield Monitors in the Singleplayer Stages like in Sonic Mania?
Murilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017   #5820
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

Overriding your cool shield that has special abilities and resistances with a normal 1-hit shield in Mania is awful though :V