SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 07-13-2017   #5781
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barabbas View Post
I've one suggest: Like analog control put an analag camera. This will be fancy. :)
...Enabling analog control already enables an "analog camera", though? If that's not what you mean, please explain it with a bit more detail.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017   #5782
Lach
what the thok mate??

Would it be possible to implement a Lua hook that adds a thinker to each player by running only for certain skin names? Something like:
Code:
addHook("PlayerAbility", function(player)
    //Body code
end, "sonic")
This would make Lua abilities more efficient, as the game won't have to iterate through every player and check for the skin unnecessarily for every single player-oriented ThinkFrame and MobjThinker hook—it'd only have to iterate once and run the abilities per player based on his/her skin.
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #5783
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It would be really nice if there was some WallCollide function that also returns the line that you just hit. That or it already exists and I'm just dumb.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #5784
Rumia1
worries too much

I have a proposal.

What if you made it so a base version of the pallete was stored to memory, and then a copy of it was made available for editing as the game needs, would this make secondary color remaps possible?
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017   #5785
RomioTheBadass
Right there, Criminal Scum!

Are you gonna update the opening cutscene for 2.2 ?
Old 08-21-2017   #5786
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Just wanted to have another chance of talking about stuff that could be done for the netcode to be more bearable.
Last time I tried suggesting to send $$$.sav over instead of resynching a handful of player variables when the game desynchs (which won't work at all if the synch isn't caused by the player to begin with), I was basically rejected because, well, you might as well rejoin.
The thing with getting kicked out for synch because that kid from accross the world that didn't know 720 ms ping was bad joined, is that you lose everything you worked up to, when you rejoin, you're back to 0 points, 0 lives, and all your in level progress is gone.

I mean, if nothing's gonna be done for better resynching, please at least incorporate the likes of keepstuff.lua IN VANILLA, something that respawns players that had synched out with their rings, score, lives at the last starpost they hit in a level if they do rejoin. It would honestly make the whole netgame thing a lot more bearable since getting kicked out for bad synching wouldn't mean losing everything.
Old 08-21-2017   #5787
Monster psychic cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
I mean, if nothing's gonna be done for better resynching, please at least incorporate the likes of keepstuff.lua IN VANILLA, something that respawns players that had synched out with their rings, score, lives at the last starpost they hit in a level if they do rejoin. It would honestly make the whole netgame thing a lot more bearable since getting kicked out for bad synching wouldn't mean losing everything.
But how would that work? Another player could join and have the same node as yours, stealing all of your stats. If it's name-based, someone could try to join with your name, and get your stuff.
Old 08-21-2017   #5788
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Not that I'm able to judge very well if it's a good idea at all or not, but it could be IP-based?
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #5789
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I don't see how having it IP based would be a bad idea, to be honest.

I also forgot to add another suggestion last time, but honestly, it would be nice if graphic WADs were whitelisted to not modify the game, even up to sprites and really anything that's an image. I know there's the whole "unbalance" thing between players, but come on, if you allow players using a different renderer to be able to look up and down perfectly in match with 3d models which are just as abusable as custom sprites if I'm being perfectly honest, I really don't see how this could be an issue at all. Plus it would make wads that change graphics (HUD for instance) more popular since anyone could use their own without forcing it down everyone's throats.

Last edited by "Lat'"; 08-22-2017 at 08:11 AM. Reason: lol grammar
Old 08-22-2017   #5790
犬夜叉
aka: Inuyasha
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
I don't see how having it IP based would be a bad idea
Because more than one person can live in a household. What do you propose happen if two separate people join from the same IP?

Also HUD graphics have already been whitelisted.
犬夜叉 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #5791
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

If we were gonna make rejoining after a desync keep your stuff, the easiest way to do that would be to generate a random token on first join and use that to identify yourself across joins. It can be stored in a temporary file per server IP on the client, or honestly just held in memory for that game session. (For the purposes of a transient server, 2-4 bytes would be way more than enough to make guessing the token impractical.)

(On a related topic, if anyone's looking to do cross-join state in any mods, look into how web apps do it. This is the exact problem they have to solve.)

Last edited by RedEnchilada; 08-22-2017 at 02:03 PM.
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017   #5792
Lach
what the thok mate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 犬夜叉 View Post
Also HUD graphics have already been whitelisted.
Wait really? In 2.1? What other graphics are whitelisted?
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017   #5793
Yoshirocks90
Mapping/Scripting Hedgehog

LAN based multiplayer? Splitcreen match isn't all that fun when you know where your opponent is at all times...
Old 08-23-2017   #5794
Rumia1
worries too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshirocks90 View Post
LAN based multiplayer? Splitcreen match isn't all that fun when you know where your opponent is at all times...
You can already do this, just go down to join (specify IP) and put in the local IP of the host computer and connect.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017   #5795
Yoshirocks90
Mapping/Scripting Hedgehog

Oh. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2017   #5796
Speed_Demon

So, I heard that they are improving the characters abilities, right?
Anyway, if that true..

It'd be cool if knuckles had his "Wall-dash" or whatever it's called from Sonic Advance 3.
And to do that the player should press the Spin button while climbing on a wall..
I know that the Spin key is already used, but it's not really that helpful. Also there is already the wall jump.

Or you can just put a new key input for quick turning..
I know that this idea is kinda weird but, that'd a very cool thing for knuckles..

Just to remind you, it's just an idea..
Discord: Speed Demon#9889
Gmail: speeddemon4k@gmail.com
Youtube: To be continued..
Speed_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #5797
frozenLake

Can we have the suggestions thread cleaned out again? It has been a while, and a good amount of this stuff could be pulled off with Lua now.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017   #5798
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lach View Post
Wait really? In 2.1? What other graphics are whitelisted?
Just the HUD, IIRC. We don't want to allow players to do things like change textures or sprites or this would encourage behaviors like setting every background texture to a solid color and removing all the scenery things so you can see your opponent better in match. It's one thing to get competitive advantage by running the game on a better machine at a higher resolution; it's another to do it by completely ruining the game's visuals on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenLake View Post
Can we have the suggestions thread cleaned out again? It has been a while, and a good amount of this stuff could be pulled off with Lua now.
We no longer clean the suggestions thread, as we no longer confirm or deny when suggestions are implemented. We haven't done that in around a decade.

Remember that this thread is primarily a method of keeping the forums clean by getting all the kids requesting Shadow to post that junk in a single thread. Obviously, sometimes someone posts a legitimately good idea and we do read this thread for that reason, but over 90% of this thread is just stupid trash and it's way easier to maintain by just ignoring it.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #5799
MK.exe
Lazy, Lazy and lazy?

If the hud visuals have been whitelisted. Does this mean crosshairs are too?

[Only saying this cos when you press f3, the button to turn off you're hud, it doesnt take the crosshair off]
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017   #5800
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

If you're hoping to turn off the crosshair, you can just use "crosshair off" or "crosshair 0" in the console. There's also an option for crosshairs in the Setup controls menus.

That said, no, we haven't whitelisted the crosshairs yet. But I see no reason why they couldn't be added eventually.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote