SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > SRB2 Forum Archives

Old 06-22-2009   #761
Rob
Administrator

OpenGL is a lot more broken than you realize right now. From what I hear, there's just one or two things that need to be done now to fix it, but doing that is hard. OpenGL's code is there in ME, but I doubt it'll be enabled for people to use.
Old 06-22-2009   #762
Kaysakado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSagaFromSegaLMA0
Consider what Software doesn't have as what OpenGL does.
1: Corona - Lighting from street lights (think of a certain Match level. you'll know what i mean.)
2: Shadows (PrettySRB2 ATM) - Characters have shadows in openGL. (please merge that in srb2me's software if you can.)
3: MD2. - Face it. 3D models? It's what Doom makes you have. Without it, it's not a doom game. Possibly, this is more or less a reason not to have it in SRB2ME xD
4: Item Lighting - Notice the emeralds when you're in a special stage with all rings obtained. Light. 'Nuff said.
5: More or less, tons of effects. - There's more than I can note in this forum. So yeah.

Aren't all these (well, maybe not #5) reasons that OpenGL should stay?
1 and 4 are the exact same thing. And I'm not sure I understood you correctly for 3, but Doom did not have anything 3D other than the map geometry.
Old 06-22-2009   #763
Dr.Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
OpenGL is a lot more broken than you realize right now. From what I hear, there's just one or two things that need to be done now to fix it, but doing that is hard. OpenGL's code is there in ME, but I doubt it'll be enabled for people to use.
From what I've heard in past, I thought every line of OpenGL code was being removed altogether. It's good knowing the Devs haven't gone that far. I actually hope it's left enabled just so we can see how often it crashes. :P
Quote:
2: Shadows (PrettySRB2 ATM) - Characters have shadows in openGL. (please merge that in srb2me's software if you can.)
There are actually shadows in the current version's software renderer, but it's just a 64x64 square block underneath the character sprites.
Quote:
3: MD2. - Face it. 3D models? It's what Doom makes you have. Without it, it's not a doom game. Possibly, this is more or less a reason not to have it in SRB2ME xD
lolwut, DooM never had 3D models. MD2's are from Quake II, IIRC.

TailsRE WIP Topic!
Old 06-22-2009   #764
Sonict
Administrator

We were never going to remove the code completely. Disable the code, yes. This was always the case.

My YouTube account: http://youtube.com/user/Sonict11
Old 06-23-2009   #765
Kaysakado

It's as removed as Chaos mode, basically.
Old 06-29-2009   #766
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanyhead
Add an option for only half of the players to be required to finish coop as opposed to just 1 or all, in case you still want teamwork, but you have a newb (or n00b, but that's what kicking is for.) problem.
This causes hangout servers to get worse on account of a minority wanting to finish the levels but majority hanging out. Also, it might be too hard for the system to keep track of how many is half of the players, so there's the risk of a glitch where everybody needs to finish which only makes hangout even less favorable for veteran players.
If we're going to be asinine about hangout, add race's countdown timer then. Only difference is the timer ends the level rather than killing everybody.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
Old 06-29-2009   #767
Srb2kirbyo
Goes by Kirboy in netgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Warrior
Quote:
Quote:
Add an option for only half of the players to be required to finish coop as opposed to just 1 or all, in case you still want teamwork, but you have a newb (or n00b, but that's what kicking is for.) problem.
This causes hangout servers to get worse on account of a minority wanting to finish the levels but majority hanging out. Also, it might be too hard for the system to keep track of how many is half of the players, so there's the risk of a glitch where everybody needs to finish which only makes hangout even less favorable for veteran players.
If we're going to be asinine about hangout, add race's countdown timer then. Only difference is the timer ends the level rather than killing everybody.
I agree with Blue Warrior !

Reporting for hangout would be much hard with playerforexit on.

Editing rocks!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosaver
Slow down Tails when he uses fly with someone hanging.(EX:Tails carrys Sonic, which results in Tails speed for accelerating/ or lower fly time)
Why? He doesn't slow down in the Sega games. I think that would discourage player to use the Tails pickup ability.
[Lumo]my ipod is flawle-
-----
[Lumo] Sorry ipod froze there.
Old 06-30-2009   #768
Senku Niola
Drifting Golden Swordsman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground the Fox
Swimming frame slots (4 slots or 5)
Pretty good idea. This can increase the quality of the game. (+ I believe that's in the plans.)
It's kinda hard to do when Mystic keeps complaining it's a pointless/useless ability that should be removed.

I on the other hand support this ability. I've already suggested this plenty of times.
Old 06-30-2009   #769
Gemini Spark
The EX version

Quote:
Make the whirlwind shield speed up in animation when you use it to double-jump.
And what point would that serve? In other words, [color=orange]what are you talking about?[/color]
Old 06-30-2009   #770
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

As a simple visual affect, I think.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
Old 06-30-2009   #771
Gemini Spark
The EX version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eblo the Hedgehog
If possible (which I doubt), make a special texture and/or flat that acts as a mirror. Similar to how F_SKY1 renders.
Might as well make something that creates a whole hall of mirrors, while you're at it.

EDIT: This was an old post in the wrong topic, so I move it here as directed by Prime 2.0. It's in this post so I don't have to double post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I previously
Quote:

Quote:
Swimming frame slots (4 slots or 5)
Pretty good idea. This can increase the quality of the game. (+ I believe that's in the plans.)

Quote:
ability to only fly (no swim)
This + vice versa increases the variety of character abilities, resulting in more unique characters. :)

Quote:
sound for swimming (like in SA3)
Should be already in there, although I don't hear it often when using Tails right now.

Quote:
have those w/ fly and/or swim be able to lift more than one player while picking them up (just like in Sonic Heroes)
Fix'd. Another good idea, except it would probably require multiple players at the exact same spot. This would also require the flying/swimming player to be slower because of the extra weight. Another problem would be that too many players being picked up might be too much for the flying/swimming player to get off the ground.
Old 07-01-2009   #772
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Stop acting like they have to listen to you. I like the new texture.

You guys really should add kick reasons.
Well Mystic said it looked good in action and I have yet to see it in action. Until I do the texture still looks ugly to me.
Old 07-01-2009   #773
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Suggestions topics are now locked due to feature freeze for the impending release of SRB2ME.