Eneable Analog in multiplayer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lat'

Absolute territory where
Kart Krew™️
As I know they are -for reasons that I do not know- disabeled, I would like to know if I could possibly turn them on for a level that is kinda "Top down" styled (For the camera and the controls), for people who would like to play it in multiplayer without having to deal with normal controls which forces them to turn etc.
Do I need Lua or something for this?

I don't remember specifics, but back in my lurking days, I know people asked this question and were essentially told that analog would not or could not be added to multiplayer by the devs. No clue on if that has changed in 2.1.

That said, the Cloud Convoy level that was in the last OLDC contest was top-down and controlled about as well as could be expected. It is unaffected by multiplayer, so you might want to look into how that level was built and scripted.

analog is hard-coded in a way to where it would cause desyncs in multiplayer

I have no idea if it would work with the upcoming netcode overhaul though

In analog control, the direction you move is based on the camera's position. If you press "up", for example, your character runs away from the screen even if the character was previously facing right (with regular controls, if your character was facing right, and you pressed up, they'd move right).

Since your camera position is not broadcast in online multiplayer (only your character's position is), analog mode is not possible online. The devs would have to rewrite the netcode to make it work, which no one is willing to do.

...And considering that the netcode is ready to fall apart at the slightest touch, I think fiddling with it is perhaps the worst possible thing to do.

Last edited:
Everyone thinks enabling analog in multiplayer would require a netcode rewrite. What if we just rewrote how analog mode itself was handled instead? It just might work.

/me experiments with trunk a bit

AmbitiousDentalIntermediateegret.gif

Told y'all it'd work.

Yeah, that's the next big issue with it. But at least mods that need it for something can use it without worrying about netgame compatibility now...

Woah. Well done. What did you do to change analog mode? Isn't it pretty much a necessity that analog controls needs knowledge of the camera position?

I changed it to feed the camera's angle (the only relevant camera variable needed) into the ticcmd's angleturn variable (which AFAIK is unused otherwise in analog mode) while creating the ticcmd, and then use that in place of where the old code used the camera angle directly. This leads to a setup that stays perfectly synced in the netgame. It's not entirely done yet, but it will be before the next patch.

Perfect! It's the only thing I have to say. Now, it's true that analog is pretty bad in levels that weren't build for it, like the officials ones.

False :o. Analog mode is fine for me to use in any level. I once made a proper blind run of SRB2's official sp maps using analog mode...and one hand :o.

Then it's because you often use it? By my side, I really suck with it... I even felt from the GFZ1 bridge... What a shame...

I changed it to feed the camera's angle (the only relevant camera variable needed) into the ticcmd's angleturn variable (which AFAIK is unused otherwise in analog mode) while creating the ticcmd, and then use that in place of where the old code used the camera angle directly. This leads to a setup that stays perfectly synced in the netgame. It's not entirely done yet, but it will be before the next patch.

Woah, Woah, Woah.

So, we'll be able to use Analog mode in Multiplayer now?

It seems yes, looks like this thread is not as useless as I thought when I made it X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back