Bad cycle from BLUEW1 to BLUEW3

Status
Not open for further replies.

STHE123O

Little Monster
I m working on a new WAD in XWE. I replaced the original game textures, and it worked fine. But now, when I try to play my wad, it says: "Bad cycle from BLUEW1 to BLUEW3" and the game crashes!

PNAMES.lmp file is loaded on the wad.

If someone can help me, I ll really apreciate it!

Last edited:
Is there a way to fix it? :/

Reiterating what ShadowHog said above. Just use Slade. It has all the features that XWE had and more. There really is no easy way to fix the problem so just download Slade. It'll be more helpful then XWE ever was.

I'd like to argue about that and say SLADE certainly doesn't work for me, and that SLumpEd does tons of things I find incredibly annoying.

As for this issue, I got a "fixed" version somewhere... But I can't remember where, and I don't even know where my clean PNames is. Texture 1s/2s should be fine if you get it though.

SLADE and SLumpEd are the same program; the former's just newer.

And how, exactly, doesn't it work for you?

I m working on a new WAD in XWE. I replaced the original game textures, and it worked fine. But now, when I try to play my wad, it says: "Bad cycle from BLUEW1 to BLUEW3" and the game crashes!

PNAMES.lmp file is loaded on the wad.

If someone can help me, I ll really apreciate it!

Hmm, perhaps you could show us the WAD so we can see for ourselves what is wrong, rather than immediately blame XWE itself for the problem? =V

Honestly, XWE seems to be the IE of WAD Editors to some here.

Thing is, MI, I distinctly remember getting that error when working with XWE.

Now, I do recall, at some point, finding another set of tools which generated PNAMES/TEXTURE1 lumps that XWE didn't mangle. Problem is, I don't remember what tools they were, or where they got off to. Considering I've been able to successfully edit textures using SLADE since, without any of these issues, I'm not sure it's really worth the hassle anymore.

That being said, there are things XWE does better - importing custom palettes from Photoshop's .ACT format, for instance (which, as far as I know, is literally just 256 3-byte combinations (red byte, green byte, blue byte)).

Custom_Textures_Tutorial_-_XWE is the place to find the toutorial with the proper PNAMES lump and how to make custom textures in the first place. Here is the actual file you need.

Also you might be able to follow the SLumpEd tutorial for custom textures if you want to try making the wad in SLADE. There might be some differences though, so use caution.

EDIT: Wait did you replace textures in SRB2.srb or did you do it in your own wad?

EDIT 2:
Also, I think you might be able to edit the PNAMES lump yourself and fix it that way. If you look at this post, you will see a bunch of parts of the pnames that look like...
Code:
BLUEW2 W
BLUEW3 W
COMP4 EN
COMP5 EN
You would change that to...
Code:
BLUEW2
BLUEW3
COMP4
COMP5
I think that is what was done to fix those lumps in the first place, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Shadow Hog: Tha game crashes when I try to play a level

And Torgo: I replaced original textures in my own wad. I alredy have the PNAMES, but it didnt work! In the list, only BLUEW2 and BLUEW3 appears.

Oh well... Maybe I should use the backup wad and continue it there :/

So, you have renamed TEXTURE1 to TEXTURE2, right? Not sure if it would make any difference, but it might help.

I m using the previous backup file, and it works perfect! So my problem is fixed.

Anyway, thanks to all who posted here to help me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back