Forum Generation Gaps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tertu

cheap spirit
I personally think there are two generations of people on these forums, the "oldbies" and the "n00b newbs". I think an accurate gap would be:

The last "oldbies" joined during the early or mid parts of the 1.09.2 era.
The first "n00b newbs" joined during the late 1.09.2 era. However, some of the best n00b newbs are a lot like oldbies. Most defining n00b newbs are either suspended or banned now.

What do you think about this topic? Tell me your opinions on the forum gen-gap!

FSX said:
The last "oldbies" joined during the early or mid parts of the 1.09.2 era.

Pfft.

I joined around when 1.08 was around. Anyone who joined after that isn't an "oldbie". ("n00b" noobs, or whatever the hell you call it)

I believe n00bs and newbs exist.

There is no such thing as a n00b newb.

I joined in the early 1.09.3 era. Haven't been here long enough to exactly know what it was like before that, but I've looked through some 2-year-old posts in the forums, so I would suspect it was at least slightly better. Obviously, the majority couldn't soc back then, but there are several tutorials to making wads today, yet several people ask how to do so. So, I'd say the standards are raised since 1.08, and the staff expect their users to be up to them if they are to ask a mod-related question.

I think Shuffle, Mystic, FF, Arrow, Tets, Omega, JTE, and I are the last of our kind. :?

1.09.2 would be oldbie? That's only like.. a year! Oldbies should be pre-Final Demo.

Not really. It's more of a reference to the community then it is a reference to when you first played SRB2...

I really wish I joined rather than observed the community back then...

Well, I had a forums account waaaay back on the old PHPBB forums but never used it (but I played SRB2 veeeery often ^_^). I joined the community for real during 1.08 era. Does this mean I count as a newbie or oldbie?

Bigboi said:
I think Shuffle, Mystic, FF, Arrow, Tets, Omega, JTE, and I are the last of our kind. :?

Uhh, I've been around since 1.04. I'm very much an oldbie, thank you. And so is Digiku, and BlueJinjo, and a lot of other people you're forgetting. There are a lot more oldbies here than you think.

First off, I hate the terms "n00b" in any form or context.
But, I think what determines this is, how long you've known/played
SRB2. I've been playing SRB2 since the first demo was available on SFGHQ. Yeah, even the 2D one. :eek:
Why I haven't poked my head into the forum earlier?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Why does nobody understand the difference between a n00b and a newb?
20060823.jpg

Meh, I would use the term "been around since" rather than "joined". I myself started playing SRB2 in the Final Demo 1.08 era, but I joined the forum a month ago, and I've been a onlooker of the forum since the 1.08 era. But you can go ahead and call be a newb. :roll:

Digiku said:
I've been around since forever. Anyone remember the ezboard? How about SFGHQ? :)

"I've been playing SRB2 since the first demo was available on SFGHQ. Yeah, even the 2D one. :eek: "

I quoted myself?

Digiku said:
I've been around since forever. Anyone remember the ezboard? How about SFGHQ? :)
Heh, I remember the ezboard. I made a few n00by posts there. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back