Lava vs. Slime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeFan1

I often see people commenting on other's levels that their lava is just "slime in disguise". This is apparently a big deal to some people, and since I am getting started on some levels featuring lava and slime, I'd like to know what "truly" constitutes each.

How I can avoid making this "disguised lava" everyone hates? (For all I know, the lava on my lake adventure zone may already be slime in disguise.) Does it have something to do with the type of damage the liquid sector delivers or something?

That's it? So basically you're saying you can't sink in lava?

I would think lava disguised as slime would be more of a challenge then. I can see why people do it on purpose. The question now is, why does "liquid" lava make some people annoyed?

Part of the problem in my opinion is trying to find a way out of the lava disguised as slime, the orange color map does not make it very easy to get out of the slime and even there was no color map some just do not feel like trying to get out of lava that is disguised as slime, easy or not. Also in 2.0 and above, there lava works differently than the earlier versions and might not like the idea of figuring out that they fell in slime instead of lava. Also in the earlier versions, you could drown even with the Fire Shield, although the Elemental Shield remedies this problem. The lava does actual fire damage while the slime does not.

Other people might have a different opinion about this though.

Last edited:
There's a fairly difference between slime and lava.

Slime hurts the player only if he's "underwater" (i.e. more than 28 FU deep). Otherwise, the player can walk in slime "harmlessly". Slime is always liquid.

Lava will always hurt the player on touch. Lava is solid on its top (unless something like a ceiling pushes you down) and liquid in its interior.

Last edited:
Lava is solid on its top (unless something like a ceiling pushes you down) and liquid in its interior.
Incorrect. You can actually get crushed when standing on lava if something falls down on you (or if the lava rises up to the ceiling).

In multiplayer, lava also displays a custom message if a player dies in it: "Player fell into some nasty goop!"

You can also make lava behave more like water if you use the block enemies flag. It might be useful if you wish to make shallow lava and have the player wade in it.

You can also make lava behave more like water if you use the block enemies flag. It might be useful if you wish to make shallow lava and have the player wade in it.

But shouldn't lava burn you to a chrisp just for TAPPING it? I mean, we obviously don't care about Convection Shmonvection since RVZ and other levels would play horribly, but actually TOUCHING lava without pain? Now that's just silly. Almost as silly as translucent lava, which shouldn't exist :P[/thinkingaboutgamelogicwaytoohard]

Oh, and remember; Lava is NOT red hot water. It's molten ROCK. Hence, you stand on it (and why translucent lava is just flat-out mindboggling). I still wonder why it wont effect the SIDES of a lava fof though...You pass right through.

Last edited:
I can't even recall a time in a Sonic game where Lava behaved like Water... It always behaved like solid terrain, but it kills you.
Maybe you guys are thinking of Super Mario Bros, where it's not the Lava that killed you, it was the deathpit that did.

Last edited:
If you guys really wanted to simulate lava physics, you should assign Fire Damage to a Quicksand Block (which I do in the last level of Tortured Planet). Lava and magma come in many different forms; there's some that is runny liquid, and some that is so viscous that you could stand on it, like you can here. The famous kind of lava that everyone thinks of, however, is somewhere in between.

And, Razer112, what about the original Sonic the Hedgehog? The lava in Marble Zone behaved exactly like it does in RVZ.

I have found through trial and error that solid lava is typically best for gameplay. It also really helps to differentiate lava from slime to keep one solid and the other liquid.

And, Razer112, what about the original Sonic the Hedgehog? The lava in Marble Zone behaved exactly like it does in RVZ.

Every Sonic game has the same type of lava, you can stand on top if it, and you can't fall through it in any way.

Someone, I think Blade, told me the lava acts like that because that's how it acted in the S3&K.

Well the lava in the most recent version of my Lake Adventure Zone (If anyone has played it since it was overhauled to v.1.1) Acts like water, is too shallow for a colormap, and has the sector effect "fire damage" so the elemental shield protects you. I think those are acceptable lava parameters for that area.

Although Fawfulfan, I like the quicksand-lava idea. If I make a volcano level maybe I'll try that.

If you guys really wanted to simulate lava physics, you should assign Fire Damage to a Quicksand Block (which I do in the last level of Tortured Planet).

I thought so too, but lava, even if it WERE safe to stand on irl, is FAR too dense to sink in. That, and it doesn't seem like that great of a mechanic (it certainly didn't in the multiplayer level with it...). It sounds more like a giant annoyance than anything else.

More like anything, it's useless because you would never stand on a hurting sector on purpose anyway, so the quicksand effect becomes obsolete.

More like anything, it's useless because you would never stand on a hurting sector on purpose anyway, so the quicksand effect becomes obsolete.
Of course. It's meant to make escaping more difficult if you fall into it. Nobody's really stupid enough to go into lava on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back