SRB2 2.1 Workbench?/What map editor did STJr use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty self-explanatory, and I am pretty sure I'm going to be either laughed at, facepalmed at, or both, for asking this question:

Has the 2.1-compatible SRB2 Workbench been released? And I don't mean the configuration file for things and such, I mean the executable that can "support the new custom texture system for 2.1".

Looking at the wiki page about it right now (before typing the above), yesterday it was edited to state development on it has been discontinued instead of still stating it will support the texture system and such.

But... then what did/does Sonic Team Jr. actually use? Sure, there aren't "custom" textures in the main SRB2, but still, it doesn't even load up 3D mode at all when hitting the 3 button (maybe it does, but it doesn't render it, it just displays the 2D flat view exactly as I saw it before hitting 3), nor can it display textures in the texture browser, both of which I'm pretty sure Sonic Team Jr. needed.

Seriously, though. How am I supposed to map without a fully functional map editor? (I will use SRB2 Doom Builder 2, but only if that's what Sonic Team Jr. used themselves. Plus I already have made a Steam Grid Icon for SRB2 Doom Builder, then when I found out about SRB2 Workbench, one for that. It won't be too hard to make one for SRB2 Doom Builder 2, but I only will if I'll have to use it.)

No official release of SRB2 Workbench has been made at all. The thing about "supporting the new custom texture system" is that before ZDoom's texture system was ported over, SRB2 was going to use a SOC-based texture system. That's the one that Workbench supports, but it's no longer the one that's in use, hence why I removed those statements. As for what STJr uses, that varies. I know Rob uses Workbench, and I'm pretty sure that both SRB2DB and SRB2DB2 are used by some people in the team.

If your only problem with SRB2DB is that it doesn't recognize some of the textures, I've got a little something for you. If you load this as a resource WAD whenever you edit a map, it will recognize all of SRB2's textures.

No official release of SRB2 Workbench has been made at all. The thing about "supporting the new custom texture system" is that before ZDoom's texture system was ported over, SRB2 was going to use a SOC-based texture system. That's the one that Workbench supports, but it's no longer the one that's in use, hence why I removed those statements.
...Oh.

As for what STJr uses, that varies. I know Rob uses Workbench, and I'm pretty sure that both SRB2DB and SRB2DB2 are used by some people in the team.
Well, then I'll stick to Workbench, since I like it the most.

If your only problem with SRB2DB is that it doesn't recognize some of the textures, I've got a little something for you. If you load this as a resource WAD whenever you edit a map, it will recognize all of SRB2's textures.
...You are a god damnit! Big picture (2732x1536), didn't want to post it inside this thread, so have a link to it instead. And zonesderp.wad is a copy of zones.dta. Yes, I made sure to select the 2.1 config when loading the map.
The 2.0 config works (not as big, 1366x768), surprisingly, but... well, I want to use the 2.1 config, since I want to map for 2.1, and there are things that have changed, and also been added.

Edit: Looking at the "resources.wad" you sent me with Slade... there only seems to be a very few textures actually in there, and-OH, RESOURCE wad, not IWAD! Derp. I'll try that.

Edit 2: I know it's possible with the SRB2 Doom Builder (the resource wad thing). But can I do that with Workbench somehow, other than copying srb2.srb, and "inserting" the contents of Resources.wad?

Last edited:
Not as far as I know, but inserting the textures into a copy of srb2.srb should definitely work.
Did that, and it works. 3D mode works (Edit: Except for at least Map24, thus why I thought it didn't work at all before) and shows all flats and textures, 2D mode works and shows all flats and textures, Map Things now actually show the image in the Thing browser. And the flat browser works, too.

The only thing is that the line-/side-def texture browser stops after CYANWALL. (1366x768) Maybe the D2LAVA thing is some sort of animated texture without a lump named D2LAVA in srb2.srb? *Checks* Nope, it's apparently a flat, according to the fact it's between the F_START and F_END, but it's not a... Okay, it's also a texture, according to the fact it's also between T_START and T_END? There are 2 D2LAVA lumps. So which should I remove?

(And I can freely go ahead and delete all the sounds to reduce filesize, right? I don't think Workbench looks at the sounds in the IWad.)

Last edited:
The only thing is that the line-/side-def texture browser stops after CYANWALL. (1366x768) Maybe the D2LAVA thing is some sort of animated texture without a lump named D2LAVA in srb2.srb? *Checks* Nope, it's apparently a flat, according to the fact it's between the F_START and F_END, but it's not a... Okay, it's also a texture, according to the fact it's also between T_START and T_END? There are 2 D2LAVA lumps. So which should I remove?
This looks like it's a bug in Workbench. Removing either of the two will probably circumvent the problem.

(And I can freely go ahead and delete all the sounds to reduce filesize, right? I don't think Workbench looks at the sounds in the IWad.)
Yes.

This looks like it's a bug in Workbench. Removing either of the two will probably circumvent the problem.
Did, and yeah, that worked. Up until GLASS3, which also is both a flat and texture. And SNOW01, SNOW02, SNOW03 and THZ3DPFA. Though after deleting those out of the side textures, it all works nicely.

Pure-Fat Inc. said:
How can I do that?
CTRL+C, CTRL+V. Known as copy-paste. With a Wad editor, like Slade. Just make sure not to edit srb2.srb itself, since if you do that, SRB2 won't launch.

CTRL+C, CTRL+V. Known as copy-paste. With a Wad editor, like Slade. Just make sure not to edit srb2.srb itself, since if you do that, SRB2 won't launch.

I did that already but it won't let me save the new copy of srb2.srb.

kc19iv.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?

I did that already but it won't let me save the new copy of srb2.srb.
Am I doing something wrong?
Maybe, maybe not. Either way, what I did was copy srb2.srb, paste it, rename it to srb2wb.wad, and then edit that file. I could do that just fine.

If you want the fixed thingie without making it yourself, here's a link to a zip containing said wad file.
The "compressed" zip file fills 10.7 MegaBytes, the wad file inside it fills 67 MegaBytes. As a reference, srb2.srb fills 93.5 MegaBytes.
Make sure to change SRB2 Workbench' 2.1 configuration's IWad to srb2wb.wad after extracting it. Where you'll extract it to is up to you. I have it in my SRB2 main directory.

Note: My srb2wb.wad contains all frames for all Things, even though usually only 1 frame is ever displayed inside the Workbench.
Also note that a few (D2LAVA, SNOW01, SNOW02, SNOW03, THZ3PDFA) textures can be used for linedefs in-game, but aren't shown in the texture browser in SRB2 Workbench, because they cause derps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back