Scr_Neocanyon.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that all? The transition is really not THAT creative. Acid Missile did it exclusively. This really isn't the best SP level ever, even if it's quite solid. It's still pretty uninteresting though.
I disagree. In my opinion, this IS the best SP level I'VE ever played. And I forgot that Acid Missile did it(the transition thing).
And as 123 Runite said, it would be great as a first level in a level pack.

Last edited:
The zone is OK, but I really didn't see anything... "Special" about it; it felt like I was just going through the motions, just making a bee-line for the exit and not really caring what happens. It just didn't grasp and appeal to me. It just lacks a charm or thing about it that just makes the level memorable. It's just an ordinary level, no big deal. I just... Didn't see it.

Also, the texture choice is just... blech. You really otta' change that GHZwall. Also, do NOT use the regular grass border with Jungle grass. Use the jungle grass small border, and lower it by 32 units. It'll look MUCH better, and the colors will match, unlike the standard GFZ grass border + Jungle grass you're using now.

Last edited:
Care to explain why?
Well, I like the texture set choice and the brightness of the level, and the music choice.
Also, here is the HOM that I found:
25845mc.jpg

But when you get closer, it disappears:
2mea8mw.jpg

Well, I like the texture set choice and the brightness of the level, and the music choice.
And what about gameplay? I disagree with the texture choices anyway, because act 1 just consists of the alternate GFZ walls, which suits but isn't highly original, and because act 2 feels randomly thorwn together in terms of textures. Still, your opinion is yours.

Review

A good level isn't measured just by its aesthetic appeal or music; a good level usually has the best of all worlds, meaning proper music choice, good visuals, and the most important thing, engaging gameplay.

As far as this level was concerned, it was pretty average. It wasn't good or bad...it was just...normal, could be the best way I could describe it. The textures seemed really random in the second act, there wasn't really any engaging gameplay and the music, in my opinion, doesn't really fit a level like this. It'd probably be a nice idea in future iterations to try and find ways to keep the player interested, instead of the level just being a brisk run to the finish line.

While texture variation is all fine and good, placing in random textures because they look different is not a very good idea, as then it just looks messy. It'd be a better idea to use textures that adhere to different parts of the level, like inside caves or in outside areas. Also a final note, that rockslide at the end of act 2 seemed more random than anything else. I think you should remove it.

My rating: 5/10, collectively. Like I said, it wasn't very good, but at the same time, it wasn't bad. I think you could improve this zone to make it into something more memorable.

About darkbob... he's right. THE HOLE IN ACT 2 IS A GIGANTIC PILE OF SEEMINGLY-DELICIOUS CAKE. You go after it, thinking it's your favorite flavor of cake, then find out it was just a cake-shaped rock.

The first act is pretty nice. I really like it in terms of gameplay (mostly). It was very balanced and there was enough challenge for a "first level". However, in the section where you snake around with the GFZ textures, It got a little repetitive. My only main problem is the graphics. It seems like they don't stick together very well, especially during the theme transition, or was there one? There are too many textures on this map that don't relate together. Pick a theme and stick to it. Also, I felt that a few areas, such as where the paths meet, were way too wide. The music remix is nice, although it should be used on the second act. That's just a personal preference though.

The second act wasn't so great. It felt too linear and where I thought I was going an alternate route, it ended up being me going around in circles. The map wasn't too narrow or too wide. However, many of the problems from the first act are also in the second. Once again, there were too many unrelated textures. You should also reduce the number of rocks in the areas that have them.

The boss stage was just a typical boss fight, but there are still some problems with it, too. Put an invisible FOF in front of the purple building to prevent going down the stairs. I fell down there thinking I was going to die, and it took me a while to get out. It's just annoying. Also, I noticed when I loaded up the boss stage, it looked just like Act 2. It's OK if you want to have the boss fight right where Act 2 ended, but you don't need to recreate the entire second Act just for that. Only recreate the sections that the player is going to see and it will help reduce lag (if any).

Overall, gameplay's okay, but graphics are severely lacking.
Overall Score (For Now): 6/10

Am I the only one seeing the textures glitch out with a Hall of Mirrors effect here? It happens right near the start of Act 1, I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Anyway, I enjoyed the level. I think that Act 2 was honestly a lot better than act 1, and I was really impressed by it. If you worked on Act 1 just a tad, maybe improved enemy variety or lower the amount of them, that'd be even better. Also, I really liked the falling rocks effect, did that come from one of the official levels, or did you make it?

I personally really enjoyed the level.Although I did question the music choice a bit.

I thought act 1 had a nice level length and really enjoyed playing through. It didn't feel overwhelmingly easy as first levels can sometimes be. 9/10

Act 2 on the other hand I found to be much shorter(or I finished faster) than act 1. it was relatively easier than act 1 for me except at one point where there was an overly long rock slide that was nearly impossible to avoid. There may have been another way around I didn't see though. 7/10

Act 3...I nearly really liked Eggman's first machine regardless of the setting it's in.It at one point flew away and was impossible to reach for about 20 seconds. But I can't really judge based off of the boss.I liked how the arena was layed out. I especially enjoyed how I could see the act before near the back off the area and the entrance to the next act right in front. 7/10

One major point I liked about this wad was how the levels seemed to flow together.
I'd give this was a 8/10 overall.

Last edited:
A decent level, but I did have fun with it. It's worth going back to because of Act 2, which is so large and fun.

I do not like the falling rocks (I don't like them at all in SRB2, to be honest) they are too random and there's no real way to dodge except thok/fly/glide over it, which is no fun.

But that doesn't detract from the overall experience, which is just a nice fun level.

Act 1: It's a really big space with too many rings, too many enemies, and too little enemy variation. I say 4/10
Act 2: First off if your gonna have fences you might as well make them keep you from falling. Also right in the middle of a big dark cave is a gaping hole with light shining in... IT HURTS MY EYES!!! I dont think the rocks are a good idea... It's nearly impossible to get past them without getting hurt! I tried flying over them and still got hurt! >:( I say 6/10
Act 3: Love how where act 2 ended act 3 begins! I think you should just get rid of the rest of act 2 that you can't get to or when you go past have a door close them up. And another thing ORIGINALITY!!! I say 5/10
The whole zone I say 7/10! It's not bad but it's not very good. I do think with a little editing you could make this into a MOD though!

SpiritCrusher has a point. This zone actually isn't that bad! You should extend on it though, or otherwise have another zone that is a continuation of Neo Canyon, where you follow Eggman into the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back