SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (0.X & 1.X) > Outdated Official Level Design Contest (0.X & 1.X)

Old 07-10-2009   #101
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

That was the most interesting part of the level to me. I was just hopping along some blocks when I noticed the platform and asked myself, "What the hell?"

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
Old 07-10-2009   #102
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

It's because you have it flagged with lower unpegged, Sonicmaster. What the flag does is apply all the textures from the bottom up. Since it's drawing the texture from the bottom up and since the floor around it isn't changing, the texture doesn't move, it just gets drawn farther up as the platform moves. A potential workaround would be to use the sides only FOF type for the GFZGRASS, although that doesn't work in OGL.
Old 07-13-2009   #103
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

So what's the final tally?
Old 07-13-2009   #104
Ice
Pretty chill guy

I'd tell you myself if I wasn't to lazy to count them all up.
Old 07-14-2009   #105
:SonicMaster:
<0>_<0>

I've gotten permission from Sonict via Steam to count the votes. These are the instructions he gave me:

- Don't count BZ4's votes. It's unhelpful; just "music talk." This has been overturned by Rob.
- Don't count Luminous's votes.
- Round down any votes with decimals.

Look at the next page to see the real results.
Old 07-14-2009   #106
Chisuun
Lord Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by :SonicMaster:
Hidden Sanctuary Zone by Ice - 8.25
Mill Citadel Zone Act 2 by Ezer'Arch - 8.55

Well, I'm sorely upset.
Old 07-14-2009   #107
Ice
Pretty chill guy

I wonder if BlueZero's votes would've changed anything much. Doubt it though.
Old 07-14-2009   #108
:SonicMaster:
<0>_<0>

Adding his votes from Hidden Sanctuary and Mill Citadel into my Excel spreadsheet says no, Ezer'Arch is still the winner.
Old 07-14-2009   #109
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

The enjoyment created by the levels is more important than the golden gradient rewarded for it.

Old 07-14-2009   #110
Eblo

Damn Ezer'Arch won again.....
Don't let him enter next contest D:
Old 07-14-2009   #111
Srb2kirbyo
Goes by Kirboy in netgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eblo
Damn Ezer'Arch won again.....
Don't let him enter next contest D:
Ezer.Arch you have been voted to be banned in the contest : July/August 2009 Level Design Contest : I hope your happy Eblo.
Anyway

Congratulates Ezar.Arch fireworks for you!

Congrats Cheese!

Yayz for SonicMaster

7 cheers for Kuja!
[Lumo]my ipod is flawle-
-----
[Lumo] Sorry ipod froze there.
Old 07-14-2009   #112
Jellybones
Lawful Neutral

Mill Citadel? I was really expecting Hidden Sanctuary Zone 2 or Aquatic Labyrinth 2 to win. Mill Citadel was good, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't expecting it as the winner.

Anyway, congratulations Ezer! Once again, enjoy your winning status.
Old 07-15-2009   #113
BlueZero4

Quote:
- Don't count BZ4's votes. It's unhelpful; just "music talk."
I heard that.
Old 07-15-2009   #114
Cheese
the Food

Wow, I was expecting Aerial Match to do the worst when I submitted my levels. It's got the highest score of all my levels.
Old 07-15-2009   #115
Kaysakado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZero4
Quote:
- Don't count BZ4's votes. It's unhelpful; just "music talk."
I heard that.
lol, it's actually pretty easy to tell what you meant by your metaphors if you have an open mind.

ALSO EVERYBODY SEEMS TO IGNORE THIS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousFox
Although it's not necessary, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts.
I have no idea why votes are discounted all the time because they're unhelpful. They don't need to be.
Old 07-15-2009   #116
Sonict
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysakado
I have no idea why votes are discounted all the time because they're unhelpful. They don't need to be.
Sure they do. I remember hearing BZ4 mentioning he only makes contest maps to receive helpful comments. Luminous didn't even have comments and his votes were really biased.

Either way, this is the reason why I used my judgement to decide why BZ4's should be disqualified:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
You're an even poorer troll, so I think we can safely discount your ratings as well.
What is the bold referring to then? That is why I decided to do that. If I am in the wrong, I am sorry for making a scene. I wasn't trying to do anything of the sort.

I'll ask Mystic about this in the meantime.

My YouTube account: http://youtube.com/user/Sonict11
Old 07-15-2009   #117
K.S.
Formerly Inuyasha
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonict
Luminous didn't even have comments and his votes were really biased.
Luminous was an obvious troll. BZ4 was just trying to be witty. There's a clear difference in how they voted.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
You're an even poorer troll, so I think we can safely discount your ratings as well.
What is the bold referring to then? That is why I decided to do that. If I am in the wrong, I am sorry for making a scene. I wasn't trying to do anything of the sort.

I'll ask Mystic about this in the meantime.
"As well" is in reply to Luminous's comment, not some hint that BZ4 was to be disqualified. I see no evidence of that anywhere.
Old 07-15-2009   #118
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Granted, the voting/reviewing guidelines state it isn't necessary, but perhaps it should be. To reiterate, the quality of the level is more important than the golden username, and so people should be taking part in the contest voting not just for the sake of voting, but to help users create enjoyable maps. Without giving the authors constructive feedback, this usually isn't achieved. Reviewing also shows that the user took the time to play through the map and get a general understanding of it, so the person counting the votes can usually determine more easily if the votes were biased or not.

How helpful BZ4's comments are is a matter of debate, but it's clear he put some effort into reviewing the maps from the messages he gave, and either way, they're of more value than filio and Luminous's mere voting, so I believe BZ4's scores can be counted as valid.

Old 07-15-2009   #119
BlueZero4

Quote:
I remember hearing BZ4 mentioning he only makes contest maps to receive helpful comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?p=335352#335352
BZ4's contest voting post[/url]]In my epic quest to be both entertaining AND helpful, I'm going to compare each level to a song from Rock Band 2.
That is all.
Old 07-15-2009   #120
JEV3
There and back again~
Developer

If we want to be able to discount his review because we don't believe its helpful, we should say something along the lines of "The Staff reserves the right to disregard your ratings if they believe it is unsuitable".

BlueZero4 hated Kuja's level design philosophy and still gave the level a fair score, so I believe that the ratings themselves weren't bad in any way. As for the comments, we've counted scores alongside even more useless notes, so why should that disqualify it.

Of course, its your forum, your contest, and its not my problem. I've got a bad habit of butting into the staff's problems, so if its not my place to say anything, I apologize. If you think they should be ignored, that should be good enough.

~The Greatest Adventure: Ballad of the Hobbit