• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Character - Lari Shadehunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceKGreen

Neon Knight
So. A while ago, I was, shall we say, obsessed with Monster Hunter. One day, as I was reading various comics, I was struck by inspiration, namely, a thought of a pair of red and blue eyes followed by an evil little smile.

Soon after, I remembered I had some old Phantasy Star Online models. After some heavy modification, I came up with this.

Then I shrunk the model and took pictures.

SRB2Lari1.png

"Here we have a Lari outside her natural habitat. Let's see what happens!"

SRB2Lari2.png

Took a while making sure every sprite followed the red-right-eye-blue-left-eye scheme.

SRB2Lari3.png

Cheap reuse of sprite for end sign GO! Yes, I particularly like the idle sprites that I made...

SRB2Lari4.png

Monster Hunter potion icon for 1-up, just for the heck of it. Dunno why I made the monitor brown, though.

I'm planning on releasing this character after redoing the sprites for a smaller filesize, but I needed to know something first.

As you can see, there's no way to tell the player's color in these sprites, aside from spindashing. I like it as-is, but would you peoples prefer it this way? Or should I go ahead and give her some modified MH armor?

GOOD GOD THEY'RE MULTIPLYING

-------------------------EDIT:-------------------------
Here is a link for a test version of the character.

Moderator Notice:
Editing beta period expired, link removed

(Alternate mirror for those who dislike Megaupload to come later)

Let me repeat, TEST VERSION. These sprites are going to be changed, but how they change depends...

Mostly I want feedback on whether you think Lari looks good as is, or if I should give her a visible form of color differentiation. But other feedback would be welcome as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh...it actually looks like the sprites aren't that bad for SRB2. I'd be interested in trying it out.

If enough people wish it, I could put up a test version.

On a related note, what determines the playing of a Super Transform animation? The "superanims" property in the S_SKIN or the actual presence of super transformation sprites?

*Inordinately large NiGHTS pic*
Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?

I do see what you mean.

As for the player color issue, I think you could colorize certain parts of the sprite(like the "ears" and maybe a spine on the back) without too much trouble. And if you are planning a super form, then I suggest that you make it look utterly INSANE. Think Cthulu.

And if you are planning a super form, then I suggest that you make it look utterly INSANE. Think Cthulu.
I object. If you're making a super form, make it look utterly awesome, you know, generic dark character should turn into something awesome...Think Midna.

*NiGHTS pic*
Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?

Heh, noticed that myself after I started testing.

As for the player color issue, I think you could colorize certain parts of the sprite(like the "ears" and maybe a spine on the back) without too much trouble. And if you are planning a super form, then I suggest that you make it look utterly INSANE. Think Cthulu.

Hmm. Maybe I should have mentioned more of the idea behind the character. Or actually have the details straight.

The blackness itself is a random magic effect gained through long exposure during the development of her civilization. The most it does is support funny hairstyles without need for meticulous care (she has 5 ponytails, two of them above her ears and hard to see in the sprites), and the eventual darkening of clothing.

And as for actual transformation? The most she could surprise you with is sudden procurement of overly large weaponry. So nah, I don't think I'll actually use superanims.

Also Alignment: Chaotic Good.

*Note to self, write out info documents for character and civilization so I can keep the facts straight*

Anyways, I'm going to add a link to a test version of the character so I can get some more valuable feedback.

Call me crazy, but I'm not really seeing the potential in a character that is a great big solid shade of black all over, even with the exposed eyes and mouth. There are several poses I can see already that are just begging for some kind of depth perception, but instead turn out looking like some kind of mutant. Half the time, you can't even see where its arms are.

SRB2Lari2.png

I mean, what the christ is going on here? It looks like a head with legs and no torso. This desperately needs some form of shading, even if it's just a secondary colour of black-but-not-as-black-as-pure-black. In fact, you could probably turn those kinds of highlights into your changeable colour if you wanted to keep the blackness in - the character would still be more or less black, but would appear to be reflecting their selected colour for lack of better description.

I can't really comment on much else, not being familiar with the source character and all. I can still see some good coming of this, though.

And if you are planning a super form, then I suggest that you make it look utterly INSANE. Think Cthulu.

I object. If you're making a super form, make it look utterly awesome, you know, generic dark character should turn into something awesome...Think Midna.

And if he's really going to add a super form to this character, he should keep in mind that only Sonic can turn Super in SP/Co-op now... just reminding you two in case either of you didn't remember that. =P

And if he's really going to add a super form to this character, he should keep in mind that only Sonic can turn Super in SP/Co-op now... just reminding you two in case either of you didn't remember that. =P

But it's required to have super forms for match.

lolz,it reminds me of Mr.Game and Watch,it's like the Ms.Game and Watch.It looks weird but i guess i'll try it =]
Kk,after playing a level,it's like sonic but just double jump O.o,i guess i'll have to wait till final.

I'd really recommend making it solid so it has shading, and making it a bit more original than a NiGHTS lookalike.

But the sprite outline is pretty original. Did you use a base, or did you make it yourself?

I'd really recommend making it solid so it has shading, and making it a bit more original than a NiGHTS lookalike.

According to the OP's post, the NIGHTS-like structure is merely a coincidence. Though it would be suggested to at least modify the look a bit so it's not confused with NIGHTS itself.

Call me crazy, but I'm not really seeing the potential in a character that is a great big solid shade of black all over, even with the exposed eyes and mouth. There are several poses I can see already that are just begging for some kind of depth perception, but instead turn out looking like some kind of mutant. Half the time, you can't even see where its arms are.

*pic snip*

I mean, what the christ is going on here? It looks like a head with legs and no torso. This desperately needs some form of shading, even if it's just a secondary colour of black-but-not-as-black-as-pure-black. In fact, you could probably turn those kinds of highlights into your changeable colour if you wanted to keep the blackness in - the character would still be more or less black, but would appear to be reflecting their selected colour for lack of better description.

I can't really comment on much else, not being familiar with the source character and all. I can still see some good coming of this, though.

I see where you're coming from with the shading, and yes, I know how it is hard to see what's going on, but the flat matte black is actually one of the first things about the character design that intrigued my creative process. Completely black except for eyes, mouth, and armor, should she be wearing some.

So. Judging from the responses, it seems that my best bet would be to redo the model & sprites with some armor from the game that inspired her*. That shouldn't be too hard... Plus it seems my personal copy of the wad has gotten corrupted somehow between now and when I uploaded it, and is now missing frames...

*And put together a character/civilization information something-or-other.

Your character reminds me of mine... :<
file.php

(horrid quality? I know, I just resized it and tried to make it smoother in Irfanview.)

But anyways, like the others have said, give it shading. I also think that it is a bit short, I sorta think that it is shorter then Tails but I don't know.

This reminds me of DEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Anyways, it does look pretty good, what progress is done so far?

Due to the simplicity of the sprites (and finding a shading process for the clothes in Blender that looks surprisingly good), the process of fixing them up is relatively simple. I'd have it finished by now if it weren't for an attack of chronic laziness. As it is, I've done the front-facing sprites up to LARI/1 (hurt frame).

DESU never came into the creation process... eye color was more inspired by a certain umbrella youkai and a certain UTAUloid...

EDIT:
And so Space finds that he should check color changing compatibility BEFORE doing all the sprites. Now I have to START ALL OVER.

EDIT EDIT:
Done and submitted. Now comes the waiting for it to be evaluated.

...*antsy pants update dance*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back