• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Mystical Heavens level pack UPDATE JFZ1v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I played it and:

Jade Flower 1: 1/10 Erm... this level is cramped and bland and linear.

Jade Flower 2: 1/10 Yeah, the same here and the fact that the Egg Capsule doesn't work. :/

Twisted Paradise: 1/10 THZ clone much? I only liked the music.

Skybound River 1: 0/10 There is an Elemental Shield at the BEGINNING of the level, really, that's dumb. Thok Barrier doesn't work and the rest is all crap.

Skybound River 2: 0/10 Take the turn left and the end is there. -.- And no Thok Barrier either. >_>

Magma Core 1: 0/10 It's just a tiny area with lava and a Thok Barrier that don't work.

Sand Beach: 0/10 Even smaller then MCZ and the water uses sand textures AND again the Thok Barrier ain't present.

The End: 0/10 Lol no.

0/10 What the hell were you thinking? No Thok Barriers and utter crampedness. Such an epic fail. Sorry, but it's true.

While this was harsh, he's absolutely right. The levels are bland and cramped, which makes them no fun to play at all. I'd say practice on a few maps until you get better, and then actually think about starting on/continuing this level pack.

0/10

My advice: I would scrap this entire level pack. It shows that you are obviously not ready to make a level pack yet. Find & read the tutorials & make a map or two and take your time with them. These are all rushed which is why the quality is nowhere near as good. I don't know what else to suggest otherwise...
0/10
Have you ever heard the saying, "Never give up"? Cause it's my motto.

Last edited:
You either have something to offer or you haven't. In this case, you haven't. The whole level pack consists solely of empty, sometimes cramped, hallways. All you do is running and hitting springs. If you're not gonna implement ANYTHING aside from that, scrap it. Yes, you heard right: GIVE UP. There's no need to carry on just for the sake of doing it.

You either have something to offer or you haven't. In this case, you haven't. The whole level pack consists solely of empty, sometimes cramped, hallways. All you do is running and hitting springs. If you're not gonna implement ANYTHING aside from that, scrap it. Yes, you heard right: GIVE UP. There's no need to carry on just for the sake of doing it.
Well, all I have to say to that is... NONE of the levels are above 50% complete!
Here is my progress, in percents:
JFZ1 - 49%
JFZ2 - 30%
TPZ1 - 22%
TPZ2 - 2%
SRZ1 - 45%
SRZ2 - 4%
QWZ, IFZ - 0%
MCZ1 - 3%
SBZ - 0.5%
All the rest are 0%

Also, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Take time on each level you design and make it so it's 100% complete and you really need to add thok barriers in your levels too, so none of the characters can get out of the boundries.

They can't anymore in v0.4, which is located in the first post of this thread.
Oh yes, they can.

See, the problem is: What you have now is bad. Flat, empty, cramped hallways. You should remove or replace them. Regardless of what's coming next, what you have now is bad.

Ohh, whoops, forgot to change that in JFZ1, but I think I did change it in all the other ones.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

I'm going to add screenshots to the first post soon.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

It's actually Magma Cove, not Magma Core.

Last edited:
Ugh... Aside from blantantly plagerized levels, I gotta hand it to you, Mr. Blah, this level pack is light years ahead of where it originally was. That said, it still sucks.

Learn how to implement some gimmicks so you won't have to solely rely on spring hopping. Don't have water textures unless you can actually go underwater. Make your scenery and rings less blocky. You have vast expanses of nothingness in which there are no rings or enemies. You have an upside-down checkpoint on the first level. (lol wut?) I couldn't figure out how to get out of the large pond in the second level after falling into it as Sonic. You can skip the boss fight entirely becasue you didn't bury the egg capsule deep enough into the ground. The second zone, Twisted Pardise, looks more like Booger Canyon. Seriously. You managed to pick the two dankest-looking textures there are as the primary textures. Slime sometimes hurts and it sometime doesn't. You can't complete the first act of Twisted Paradise by conventional means. Do not insert incomplete levels into your beta releases! Skybound River, scenery-wise, is better, but is too hard if you don't snag the Elemental Shield at the beginning. Drop that and insert more air-bubbles. Also, I loathe levels where you just spend the entire time underwater. They're slow and unfun. Make some dry land. Magma Core is a mess, plain and simple.

Now, like I said, there are some improvements in your latest release. Skybound Canyon (love the name, btw) had decent level design, and Jade Flower 2 was actually fun at times. Judging by the questions you've asked on this forum, you're trying to improve, and the levels themselves (sorta) demonstrate that. Continue to research good level design and mop up the sloppy areas you have in the playable zones.

I bestow upon you a 3/10 rating, which translates as "playing this level pack is about as much fun as wearing chaffing underwear made of sandpaper, but at least I don't have the immediate urge to purge my lunch anymore". Congratulations on your improvement.

Last edited:
Yes, about the egg capsule not working; how do I make it work correctly? Cause when I try to bury it, it just digs an octagonal or whatever shaped hole it is!

Last edited:
Here is version 0.4.2. It's a slight adjustment to v0.4. DON'T try the emblem one!
Also, here is my imageshack page with all of my screenshots. I don't really know what makes up a good screenshot, so maybe look at them and give some feedback on them: http://profile.imageshack.us/user/blahblahbal/

Also, any suggestions for my maps would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Here is version 0.5.5edit2. I worked a lot on MCZ1, and a little on SRZ2. I also added a tiny part of Quiksand Woods Zone(yes that is how I'm spelling it).
Any comments and/or suggestions for my levels would be greatly appreciated.

Dude, I just played your latest release, and it feels as if your level pack has gotten worse. Only three of your zones are actually "complete" in any way. All the others are either unbeatable, lil' specks o' nuthin', or DSZ and CEZ. And you didn't change the textures in Twisted Paradise Zone! Now, we not only have Booger Canyon...

2hhnlp1.png

(Also notice the stationary Buzzes)

...But we take a stroll through Poop Canyon as well...

5zmjaq.png

(Honestly... how the hell am I supposed to navigate through this mess?)

...Effectively rendering TPZ both ugly and non-functional. Also, this is one of your larger levels that lacks an exit. Looks like Sonic has died and gone to Hades.

Your other levels haven't had any noticable improvment. The complaints are largely still the same, so here are some new ones... Your walls in Jade Flower Zone are still clastrophobic, and I hate how Sonic just falls out of the sky at the beginning of JFZ2. There's an elevated platform in JFZ2 that has brick textures, making it stand out like a sore thumb. At one point in JFZ2, it looks as if Sonic can grab some rings...

24e3x9z.png

...Except that he really can't, because there's an invisible wall in his way, fully visible from this angle.

10eqvzn.png

Skybound Canyon Zone 1 has numerous dead ends, which just add to the frustration of slogging through an all-underwater level. The springs in that level are callibrated too high, causing the player unnecessary and annoying airtime, which further eats away at your oxygen. SCZ2 is worse in this edition, because you can't beat it and are just deposited in a massive underwater hole that feels as vast as Twilight Princess's Hyrule Field. The rest of the zones I won't comment one, as they're obviously all incomplete.

Here's some general tips I have for you...

- Remove the first Crawla from JFZ1. If I want to type additional commands into the console, I don't want to have to worry about him killing me.

- You need more than the occasional spring to make your levels interesting. SRB2 has crushers, currents, swings, conveyor belts, moving platforms, collapsing floors, fans, vaccums, inverted gravity, ect. ect. There's a ton of gimmicks you could employ.

- In every instance where you have a spring, you could have stairs / slopes / platforms / moving platforms. I'm not saying you should remove all your springs, but there are many other ways to move to higher ground.

- Do not mix SRB2 music with SRB1 midis. Pick one or the other (I'd go with the SRB2 music).

- I found a Mystic Realm-esque temple in JFZ2, so I imagine you're trying to craft your creation in the image of Mystic Realm... Don't, please don't. Mystic Realm, even though it's not up to date (yet), is an incredibly awesome level pack that your efforts will probably never compare to. Even if your level pack were decent or even good, it would still pale in comparison to its obvious inspiration, and that would make your level pack look worse than it actually is. Try an original approach.

- I've yet to attempt an SRB2 map of my own (if ever), so I haven't tried out any of my own level design. But here's a good tip I once heard: When designing a game/level, do it from the perspective of a potential player. "What will the player enjoy?" "What will the player find interesting about this level/level pack/mod?" "What will make the player come back for more?" And think the same way about specific level elements, too ("What width will this passageway need to be to satisfy the player?"). I imagine the worst attitudes you can have when making levels is "Okay, what won't require a lot of effort on my part?" or "I'm new to constructing levels, so that justifies ineptness."

- Get your short / unbeatable levels out of your releases. It's a pain in the ass to play them. Insert them in later releases when they're functional.

- Do whatever you have to do to cut the DSZ and CEZ levels from your pack. They're not your creations, and though I imagine their inclusion is most likely an oversight on your part, it still feels like plagerism.

I honestly thought this release would have significant developments. It didn't and I feel cheated. You've earned my overall rating of 2/10 (which roughly translates to "when played this I smashed my computer against a wall and became an atheist, because there is clearly no God"). Good night, sir.

Last edited:
Uhm, yeah I played it and to be completely honest, I'm not going to bother giving each level an individual rating because they all have the same problems. Instead, I'll just give an overall rating for the entire thing: 0/10. I'm sorry, but your levels are just plain terrible. Every single one is horridly cramped and bland; whatever rooms aren't just walls within two inches of my body have absolutely no scenery or anything else to detract from them being empty fields of bland.

You also seem to have a ridiculous case of HoM (Hall of Mirrors) syndrome. This is evidence enough that you don't have properly placed thok barriers. Transparent FOFs, upside-down floating checkpoints (WTF, lol-wut?), missing colormaps, walls that I can walk through and generally bad design (both in aesthetics and gameplay) tell me that you didn't bother to visit the wiki, or even truly study the first few official stages before you decided to post something that took about 5 minutes tops to create.

And then your texture choices. Oh, your texture choices. The repetitive and generally hideous textures in most (if not all) of your levels make them feel even worse and ugly then they are. Why does one level have literal crap textures up and down its walls and floors? And what was up with the random Mystic Realm-like temple in JFZ2? If you're trying to get inspiration from that great level pack, you are in the wrong. You're not ready yet and it shows.

My advice to you is this, and only this: http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Main_Page go here and educate yourself. Practice different techniques and make sure you understand how the official levels work. Gain a concept of what makes good gameplay and good scenery, and also make sure that you know how egg-capsules work properly. Do at least these things, scrap the levels that you have and start over. And for the love of God, please take your time; work on one level and make sure that it doesn't have any of the problems mentioned above before you decide to post a beta release of your pack.

There is no sense in posting what you call a beta if you don't even have the basic concepts of level design down. I don't know what else to say outside of this.

Thok barriers. Please. In most of the levels, I had the ability to go through walls, and get myself a SIGSEGV or two, and even had a bad case of REDWALL.

My advice: Start over, and don't try to do everything at once. Take your time. Take a look at Mystic Realm and see how long it took Mystic to WAD it. Then take a look at virtually every other SRB2 Mod out there. Learn from them, and try to at least get a working, enjoyable first level.

But still, think of better routes for your maps. In JFZ2, I got lost, and just kept going in circles.

And yes, even though I don't make major SRB2 mods, I still make single-level SRB2 WADs, and it generally takes me a week or to to get it right and polish it up.

Only three of your zones are actually "complete" in any way. All the others are either unbeatable, lil' specks o' nuthin', or DSZ and CEZ.
That's a result of my level header.
2hhnlp1.png

(Also notice the stationary Buzzes)
Uhm, changing those, too!
And you didn't change the textures in Twisted Paradise Zone! Now, we not only have Booger Canyon...
...But we take a stroll through Poop Canyon as well...(Honestly... how the hell am I supposed to navigate through this mess?)
Yes, I know it's a mess, I'll fix it this afternoon. How about THZ textures for the walls but the same floor texture?
Your walls in Jade Flower Zone are still clastrophobic
I will be widening those up.
I hate how Sonic just falls out of the sky at the beginning of JFZ2.
Haha... I have no idea why that happens, but I'll attempt to fix it today.
There's an elevated platform in JFZ2 that has brick textures, making it stand out like a sore thumb.
I will be changing that.
At one point in JFZ2, it looks as if Sonic can grab some rings...
...Except that he really can't, because there's an invisible wall in his way, fully visible from this angle.
Yeah... that's a problem I've had for a while and I can't seem to fix it. Every time I delete that sector and remake it, it puts an impenetrable wall right in the very first part of the level and you can't go anywhere.
- Remove the first Crawla from JFZ1.
Definitely doing that. That one's got me at times, too.
Also, about Skybound River Zone, my plan is to have act 1 be completely underwater and the second act be half water, half land(or thereabouts).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back