[Open Assets] SRB2 - Community Build! - Full color Edition! (PNG)

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we went OGL exclusive, I'd rather go new engine. All of the other things in the game would start to look even more dated.

When I try to load a MD2 in the console it keeps saying "error while loading md2.dat" what do i do?

*cough*
It's particularly amazing to me how everyone who has dealt with models have continued to ignore the fact and method by which multiple player models, to a limited degree, have been possible since SRB2 based itself on the DooM Legacy engine.

That said, have you worked out wadded textures yet for your multiple MD2 system, Kalaron?

Well I knew it was possible with the un-modded game, but not with more advanced models. It's hard enough to have a Sonic Colors model that fits the poly limit, but to throw a Tails in there is impossible. Of course, it's possible with those old, lowpoly models, but newer models have better textures and converting them into SRB2's palette ruins their quality.

That being said, this method has it's problems too, but much less. What I found, like Ezer.Arch, is that MD2s that were designed to use the default sprite, instead use the texture of whatever is nearest to them. Example: Shields, Chaos Emeralds, the thok effect. All things that only have one sprite, but change their hue on the palette.
Also,
srb20010.png

Tails turned into a ghost.
srb20011.png

His Model too.
He was like this until the Map change.
Edit: I just figure out what caused this glitch. If you viewpoint (F12) a bot, then change back to yourself while they are in ghost state, they stay that way. So if you are holding down your "reset camera" key then change back, you can make them a ghost at will.

Last edited:
Guys, the thing with the billboard effect is the following: The only reason Software doesn't have it is because you can't even look that far up/down. I'd rather have the billboard effect than being restricted in my view.

More than that, there's a huge elephant in the room in all of our discussions about the billboard effect: Supposing we found a way to get rid of it without restricting your view, it would look much weirder for the sprites to maintain their orientation no matter what angle you viewed them at!

15g33mq.jpg

I mean, what are we supposed to do? Add some "overhead" sprites for all the characters? I think that the billboard effect is the lesser of two evils, frankly.

By the way, another bug report: Why does Match mode start out with CHASECAM on? And furthermore, what the heck is with the bizarre controls when CHASECAM is on in multiplayer?

Last edited:
If we went OGL exclusive, I'd rather go new engine. All of the other things in the game would start to look even more dated.
That just sounds like a bad excuse to me. :/
Especially because you apparently hate writing new engines (ZDoom SRB2).

srb20011.png
His Model too.

That's a really epic looking MD2, did you make that yourself? Because it looks like it would fit in PERFECTLY with SRB2's style - The height and color of the model look like a perfect cross between retro and modern, yet it's more detailed than the other MD2 models ones I've seen.

Also, fawfulman, looking at your screenshot, YOU CAN CODE?! Come help with the gliding and control issues SRB2CB has :<

That just sounds like a bad excuse to me. :/
Especially because you apparently hate writing new engines (ZDoom SRB2).
1) He should, he's RETIRED STAFF

2) ZDoom uses C++

3)
JTE said:
It's funny. What is "i = i*2;"?

In C, it multiplies whatever 'i' is by 2, and 'i' has to be some kind of number, even if it's not something you're supposed to be multiplying.

In C++, you have to look at what class 'i' is defined as, as well as all of the classes it is a child of, as well as any classes it could possibly have been polymorphed from if it's a pointer, (all of which are in completely separate files scattered all across the project) and find out if any of them have a special method for multiplication or equalization, and if more than one does, which one it's ending up using, before you can even begin to understand what it does with that number 2. For all you know, 'i' could be some kind of string and multiplying it by two cleverly makes it all uppercase for no reason, but setting it to another value of its own class frees the memory associated with it before setting it to the new values, which in this case come from that memory itself, causing the whole thing to crash horribly from something that seems so simple, and now you have the task of debugging exactly what the heck went wrong and more than half the code you didn't even write yourself.

C is linear. Simple. Clean. It might not come with immediately advanced support for fancy string conversions and memory management, or functions directly associated with structures with superficial permissions systems (to prevent yourself from messing with your own data 'improperly', as it were...), but it can do what you need as long as you manage everything properly yourself.

C++ mods that to be object-oriented. Literally speaking, its additions center around a concept of "objects", which can come from anywhere, contain anything, and hopefully be completely self-contained, building a program out of many smaller parts that interact, rather than being designed as one solid piece. Unfortunately, they can still end up being far too dependent on eachother regardless, and when an error occurs in one of the pieces, tracking down exactly what happened becomes a vastly more complex affair of figuring out interactions and failures. And just setting up all this complexity of classes and private variables means it takes a lot more time to program even smaller changes and additions, not even mentioning trying to add exception handling.

By most standards you're even expected to make a pair of new files for every new class you add to define it. Imagine if every single object type in SRB2 had its own file? A pair of .cpp and .h files for Blue Crawlas, then another pair for Red Crawlas which derive from it, and then ones for every single type of ring, and ones for every single type of scenery, ... Want to add a new shield to the game? Okay, make a new file and fill out an entire new structure for it, then add the two minor details that make it unique in a function derived from a function that does the rest of the stuff it normally does... Argh!

Last edited:
MrMystery, SRB2CB is actually becoming part ZDoom - as in, instead of porting SRB2 to ZDoom, I'm porting ZDoom to SRB2! And the whole starting over thing, I don't think that's entirely necessary, I mean we can just rewrite the whole game, there's nothing restricting SRB2 that can't be recoded (like the blockmap system, I might just rewrite a whole new collision system.)

-----

Oh, in other news:
2j1aech.png

A little update on what's coming in the next version of SRB2CB - FOF slopes!
Other issues have also been fixed. More new features coming soon. (We're just getting started)

MrMystery, SRB2CB is actually becoming part ZDoom - as in, instead of porting SRB2 to ZDoom, I'm porting ZDoom to SRB2! And the whole starting over thing, I don't think that's entirely necessary, I mean we can just rewrite the whole game, there's nothing restricting SRB2 that can't be recoded (like the blockmap system, I might just rewrite a whole new collision system.)

-----

Oh, in other news:
2j1aech.png

A little update on what's coming in the next version of SRB2CB - FOF slopes!
Other issues have also been fixed. More new features coming soon. (We're just getting started)
Do you think you could share your test maps that you used in the OP with us please?

It's back and it's awesome. >:3 The only thing I'd want in this is a console command that gives you constant motion blur because I LOVE IT SO MUCH xD But that'll never happen.

And the bots have been improved too, which is cool. Still haven't seen them use any of the special rings though, unfortunately.

FOF Slopes! Sounds amazing, I can't wait to try it out. I'll be curious to see how it will work, though. I have yet to even check this build out, due to just being too busy, but I'm eagerly awaiting Tuesday, when I will pretty much be spending the entire day composing for Fawfulfan's Tortured Planet, and Doombuilding. ;)

I'm REALLY curious as to what the skateboard does...

It does so you can skate in the streets while singing "Skateboarding around at the speed of sound" ^^
Nah,seriously,it lets you go at a decent speed(slopes doesnt make you speed up or down)until you press the spin button,hit ennemies or hit a spring.It also let you go on the water (i tried under,it will result as instant drowning)
[EDIT]Also i put the SRB2CB config in the SRB2DB folder,but i dont know wich .SRB or .WAD file.Help?

Last edited:
Kalaron! It's been a long, long time. Remember me? And when we found Cube 2? And we'd spend hours upon hours building our own little fortresses and trials and explore each other's works? Then we'd get bored and spawn a billion bots and fight them? That was fun stuff. Y'know, until you abandoned us :(

But all is forgiven, you've come back, and with more than I ever could've asked for!

I have one question though, what did happen with that little independent project you started? What was it called again?

Last edited:
lol stakeboard. Not even. You couldn't even add actual wheels to Sonic's Extreme Gear. Whatever. It's not something I would bug you about giving credit to.

Kalaron! It's been a long, long time. Remember me? And when we found Cube 2?

Oh, Ice! I totally remember you! You made fantastic maps that always impressed me. Really good times. And the project I started, I'm actually still working on it. The direction the project has taken is going so much more amazingly than I could have ever hoped for. If all goes according to plan, hopefully I can show it to you someday when it's finished.

Hey, found another glitch. Can't rely take a pic so lets hope I can explain it. Ok, so If your Tails (or any flyer) you can jump on water. So you can fly, get tired, land on the top of water, then fly again.
EDIT: Heres a picture if it helps.
srb20019-1.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back