Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And as of now, we've now got 2 SP maps (Match and CTF still have only 1 each), and we've got 5 mins left until voting starts.

Perhaps the Match/CTF divisions should be rolled over to next OLDC to have this OLDC focus on SP or something? =E

So, as I am away on Friday nights, I'm just getting back to this now. As you're likely all aware, there are only 4 entries across the 3 divisions of the contest. I'd like to get some feedback from the community on how to proceed. Our options are:

1. Run the contest anyways even though two entries win by default.
2. Run the single player contest because it has two entries, and cancel the match/ctf divisions this month.
3. Cancel the contest and hope that more people enter in the next two months.

Obviously if you have an even better idea, I'm open to that. This is a community event and I really don't want to just kill it without the community being involved.

Cancel this contest and add the maps to the next one. I don't see much point in continuing with so few entries with only one division being a contest, and at the bare minimum.

I think you should cancel this contest, release the you-know-what elsewhere, and roll over the remaining entries.

Last edited:
I don't post much but I don't think it is really worth it to delay the oldc any longer. You really should just cancel it and just put the maps into releases. Any extensions will just lead to filler rush maps.

Yeah, I'm with the rest here: Cancel the contest, you-know-what gets released by other means, while the remaining entries are rolled in for next OLDC (which hopefully we should get ...riiight guys? >>)

Hopefully.

srb20403.png

I say we should cancel this contest due to the fact that over the last few OLDC's, the maps were either bad or just plain unfinished and generic.

Last edited:
I'd roll these releases into the next contest, yeah.

If anybody needs feedback on his map sooner than early November, I suppose you can withdraw your entry and go through Releases.

jj2xw3.png

10ymjyb.png

did someone say rush jobs?~

(Don't count this being finished any time soon, so it won't REALLY be a rush job unless I make it stupidly short)

Cancel this contest, release you-know-what elsewhere, roll the other maps over to November and keep referring to you-know-what as 'you-know-what' because it's funny.

Well, this is certainly awkward, but delaying the contest works out nicely for me as my internet isn't stable enough to handle a netgame right now anyway!

Although I would suggest extending the deadline by one month. Releasing the 'You-know-what' seperately and rolling over the rest of the entries for the next contest should work well.

I say delay it for two months, mainly because I'm working on something and it may take a WHILE...

Also, "you-know-what"? What's that? I'm so lost... Perhaps... The REAL vibrant vendetta zone??? :O

Also, "you-know-what"? What's that? I'm so lost... Perhaps... The REAL vibrant vendetta zone??? :O

And this is why we still refer to it as "you-know-what". Because some people still don't know what on earth we're talking about.

BRACE YOURSELF ICE! YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET BLOWN AWAAAAY

Or maybe we can simultaneously get the entirety of the community to migrate to a new platform, and make awesome things with that. Haha, wouldn't that be something. I was just having a discussion last night with someone, and we were discussing how level designing with SRB2 has evolved to a point where it's like trying to make something with gamemaker, because we have to find ways around all the restrictions. Whether it's covering up visual bugs with clever scenery items or simply tons and tons and tons and tons of tags, it just gets to a point where it is ridiculous.
So what the hell people are expecting from SRB2?

To be honest, I don't think SRB2 needs to go that far. I've always been an admirer of simple maps that come up with clever gimmicks, well spaced rooms with freedom of movement. Maps with 300 or 400 sectors that accomplish their goal: dish out fun and hold the player for about 5 or 10 minutes playing. I rather prefer games that push my skills on platforming than the ones that are visually appealing or aimed to involve me in a story. It's pretty rewarding seeing you got skillful enough to do something great in the game, and you go back to playing just to try harder. That's why I like Dustforce, but I would prefer SRB2 instead. However, it's matter of taste.

What I'm trying to mean -- perhaps I'm wrong -- is that, instead of trying to make things more and more complicated, more detailed and more tiresome so that you hit the restrictions and then start requesting a new engine or even get you into a burnout, why not trying to make more out of the simple concepts: new ideas from simple things rather than complicated gimmicks that require new features.

My list of things that I would expect from SRB2 is small:
  • an easier level editor: I don't mean easy to learn, because it is already. I mean easy to edit the map itself. I feel I'm knitting a Persian carpet, hours and hours spent to detail a single room since people just don't want a "clean" map.
  • bug fixes: wall collision (a must), camera, visual glitches, mechanic bugs.
  • some features that could help and/or speed up the setup of gimmicks in the map, because setting "tons and tons and tons and tons of tags" to make only one map element is in fact "ridiculous".
Although being small, I'm aware that implementing this list is time-consuming.

About this contest: postpone it for two months.

Off-topic: I don't expect new official maps to play SRB2... I play them for 1 or 2 months and I get bored. My stay here was due to the production of custom content and level making. Back in the time I joined, the official maps were just an excuse to download and play a quite-unfinished game and then to get deep into custom content and level making. Once the custom content runs out, you get bored of playing the same maps no matter how awesome they are or were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back