Official Level Design Contest Voting: March/April 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit:Huh....Why did I write hi....?
Whoops....Meant to write a review in this post.
I'll wright it as soon as I can.

Knockout The Echidna said:
Oh, you should have used some sort of color map or something to show that the water would hurt, like a red/orange?

Silly thing is, I did. It just failed to work.

Autosaver said:
Was that necessary? Are you all right Autosaver?

Anyway here is my vote scores.

Water-leaf
10/10
comment:It awesome level. Nice music(Someone needs to show the rules. I only saw them once. Sorry about the confusion.)

Aqua Caves
7/10
comment: Very good level,too many air bubbles.

Vibrant Vendetta
7/10
Comment: Ok,Name needs changing and change the explode sound to crumble sound. I was a bit disappointed. Because I expected the level to be Impossible-y hard,funny,and mysterious.(You got mysterious though)

Dusty Desert
8/10
Comment: This is biased off of 360 right?
It is nice. I haven't played Dusty desert. So I can't tell if this is a replica. Any way, This is nice level.

Darkvile castle
8/10
comment Nice Level layout! Buttons for the win.

Beach factory
3/10
comment: This feels bland for some reason.The theme Factory and Beach doesn't really mix.

Gs poloy Forest
3/10
comment: It was not very good. Lava doesn't hurt but the water does?

Frost moutain
6/10
comment: Average...(I have nothing else too say)

Floating Gardens
9/10
comment: Wahoo! That was fun!

Mill citadel zone
10/10
Comment: Sonic goes to a new place and experiences danger of a mill. Awesome!

Eggmansion Zone
9/10 Sweet!
Comment: How is this a "mansion" though? More like egg-cemetery .
I guess act 2 this the "mansion part".

Hyperknux said:
Frost Mountain Act 2= My map.

...and yes, I did peg the rings, maybe not too high, I used 13 or 14 I think, and I'll boost it to 15 or 16.
Give the rings a Z-Offset of 32 fracunits high, please.

BlueZero4 said:
Hyperknux said:
Frost Mountain Act 2= My map.

...and yes, I did peg the rings, maybe not too high, I used 13 or 14 I think, and I'll boost it to 15 or 16.
Give the rings a Z-Offset of 32 fracunits high, please.
...or just deaf them and be done with it.

Too all commenting on the lava texture. I figured that using it would be the better choice for showing the forest on fire then what I did for Battle Woods Act 2. You remember Battle Woods act 2 don't you?

Also I should had flipped the texture so that it went up like fire instead of down like lava.

srb2kirbyo said:
Dusty Desert
0/10
Comment: I think this breaks the rules of public-y or stealing(Sth360 mod level)

Chrome didn't steal anything, he made the level in the first place.

Vibrant Vendetta
5/10
Comment: Ok,Name needs changing and change the explode sound to crumble sound. I was a bit disappointed. Because I expected the level to be Impossible-y hard,funny,and mysterious.(You got mysterious though)

Name is not being changed. This is my source of inspiration, and I refuse to name it anything different. Change the explosion sound to crumble? Make it hard and funny? Is this all the feedback you have for me? Because this is completely disregarding any feedback on the quality of the level design. I worked hard on this. If you're going to give me a low score, I want some actual feedback on the level design/gimmicks themselves, like Blade and Knockout (who voted lower on my level than you did) provided me.

Also, Sonict said in another contest topic that we shouldn't vote anything a 0 simply because it wasn't a legal level.

srb2kirbyo said:
Water-leaf
0/10
comment:It broke the rules, so I can't vote on this.

Okay, I'm kinda getting tired of these posts, why I released it on here was because of this...

PMs said:
<Thompson>
If I gave you a beta and you try it out, then once after I'm done with the wad and release it to the contest, will it be against the rules?
<SonicMaster>
No, that's not against the rules. As long as it's not released on SRB2MB or the Addons section of srb2.org, it's fair game.

Since he said it wasn't against the rules, I thought I could enter it.

See, it wasn't released on the Addons section of the site or the SRB2MB. It was released on Wadbase, which is not an official section of SRB2. Betas through PM's are DEFINITELY legitimate. I fail to see, therefore, why this level should be disqualified.

Am I mistaken? Does releasing on Wadbase make it illegitimate?

I think so, wasn't one of Chaos' maps disquiffied because of releasing it on the cafe?

Anyways, don't worry about it. If it's disquallified, whatever Mod or Admin that adds it up will disqualify it.

It was disqualified because it was relased on here on the MB before entering it into the contest.

Shoveling through all of these crappy maps is depressing.

Beach Factory Zone by Chisuun - 5/10
The coolest thing about the zone is the part when the factory overlooks the beach. Unfortunately, the player isn't really positioned in a way to take advantage of the view.

This zone has no obvious flaws with it. However, it does not do anything special either. Contrary to what most people might say, the switch was a fine gimmick the first time. The biggest problem with the switch is that it won't be fine the second time I play the level.

For next time around, here's what to work on: The zone is ugly. It's not necessary for the success of the level, but having a nice atmosphere gives people a positive attitude towards your level. Also, the awkward spring designs could have been avoided with slightly different design choices.

Water Leaf Zone by Mr. Thompson - 7/10
I can't say anything about gameplay here because the zone got better as it went on. The level had a few moments of brilliance here and there, so I'm assuming all of the normal stuff was just simply lack of inspiration or something. If the designer really wanted them to be better, he would have gone back and fixed them after he was done.

Alright, Mr. Thompson. Your theme choice is phenomenal. And, I must say, the music fits almost too well. However, the problem is that you have to live up to your music. If you don't, then I'm left feeling unfulfilled and unsatisfied. I, personally, have so high expectations for the Frog Forest music that you didn't live up to my previous expectations. Keep that in mind next time.

Dusty Desert Zone by Chrome - 6/10
I think I've already commented on this before, so I'll try to say something new here.

At this point, there are two things you need to improve on. Firstly, some jumps were a bit too hard or unrealistic. For instance, if the player can only barely make a jump, it's going to be frustrating.

Second, there's just a few tricks here and there that can make your level better visually. As the level stands right now, it's just ugly.

Frost Mountain Zone 2 by HyperKnux - 5/10
Hyperknux's mapping style is finally showing its age. Act 1, while it appeared to be original at the time, has now devolved into a combination of two generic Mystic Realm themes: forest and rock. The gameplay is also very run-of-the-mill which doesn't help it be more than "just another level".

To add insult to injury, some things such as unaligned spring patterns show HK's lack of interest in polishing his level and makes it feel more like a rush job than anything else.

Vibrant Vendetta Zone by SonicMaster - 5/10
This level depresses me. Not because of a well crafted theme, but I see you fall in many of the mistakes that I have already made. There's too many to name them all individually,

Floating Gardens Zone by Kyasarin - 7/10
At first, this level rekindled my hope for that one DSZ-ish sky level I have floating around in my head. And then, it just deflated with a bunch of straight stretches. All of the ideas here are nice, they're just polluted by bland straight stretches.

Aqua Caves Zone 1 by Blade T. Hedgehog - 7/10
It was fun, while I wasn't dying. Eventually, I just turned on god. Sorry. :(

Also, I'd like to note: You've mastered the small things here and there that make your level look good. Not that you needed to know that, but it was worth pointing out in comparison to some of the other n00bs here like Hyperkunx.

GS Poloy Forest by Glaber - 1/10
It's obvious that, despite everything we've told you, you're not getting better at mapping. Something has to change.

Darkvile Castle Zone by Simsmagic - 3/10
Buttons, as a gimmick, are not bad. Your use of them is bad. Killing enemies to proceed is not a bad concept. You just didn't use it correctly. Those two qualities shaped both your level and my distaste for it.

Mill Citadel Zone by Ezer.Arch - 8/10
Alright, Ezer. You know why your level is good. But here's a new term you might want to think about: Corridor platformer.

To give you and idea of what I mean, corridor shooters have no open areas and are composed of a string of hallways, with a few open areas sprinkled here and there. However, the open areas are entirely separate. In contrast, the better game has several different flanking opportunities, several different strategic locations, and one massive battlefield.

As an example, 2Fort from TF2 is an example of a corridor shooter map that doesn't suck. The only open area is in the middle, and it doesn't provide much interaction other than removing the possibility of a bottleneck. In contrast, go play deathmatch on Halo 3. Every map ties several strategic locations into a solid map.

Mill Citadel is comparable to a corridor shooter because the routes are, um, routes. The path is rather linear with a few forks in the road. The rooms are small and only have one method in which to progress. Essentially, each room is an (over-sized) corridor. At the moment, Mill Citadel is more like a map that has a mill theme than a map which has the player platforming through an actual mill. Think about how the buildings would be laid out, where the courtyard would be, and make players feel like they are exploring a real mill.

If nothing else, I feel like I should've done something more like this with Prison Break Zone. arrr arrr arrr

Eggmansion Zone 1 by Knockout the Echidna - 6/10
The theme felt lazy. CEZ stuff isn't a bad choice, it's just that you used the CEZ theme in a rather boring way to make a boring level.

BlueZero4 said:
GS Poloy Forest by Glaber - 1/10
It's obvious that, despite everything we've told you, you're not getting better at mapping. Something has to change.
Can you say Battle Woods Act 5 for the next contest? Because I'm sensing you really didn't look at my earlier work at all, and Sonic master already did act 4. I'm also sensing some bias against GS levels.

Next up...

MATCH
Heaven Meadows Zone - (5/10)
I have to say, this one was nice, but it lags abit due to a lot of stuff on the screen, which causes slow downs for me.

Also, hello REDWALL and Broken Walls near the REDWALL.
-----
Great Gorge of Water Zone - (4/10)
Well... what should I say for this, you need more textures, also the water which causes slow movement while going up a spring makes some players an easy target, but the water idea was kinda good.

CTF
404 Error - Unable to find CTF Maps, because there isn't any.

RACE
Scale the Earth Zone - (0/10)
C-KICK's need to go, what fun is a Race Map if they get C-KICKED during the game? Which forces them to restart back to Lap 1.
-----
Volcano Park City by Darkness Claw - 4/10
The tihng aobut this where the 2 yellow springs are, if the player ends up failing to get to the red springs, they end up falling and have the go back to the yellow springs, which costs them time.

You also might want to shorten the Lava Pit traps.
-----
Scorching Factory Zone - (5/10)
You might wanna put in arrows near the part where the first steam vent thing is, because I didn't know to turn right at that part, so I ended up going into the lava.

Also, there is a Thokable wall that is broken, it is near before the Bowser Fireball things.
-----
Endless Woods Zone - 6/10
Verdant Forest look alike anyone? It kinda looked like it, but there was a part were I went the wrong way, other than that its alright.

SonicX8000 said:
Scorching Factory Zone - (4/10)
Would of gave this a higher score, but there is a Thokable wall that is broken, its near before the Bowser Fireball things.

Sorry, but do you any reasons as to why you rated it a 4 out of 10? The main reason I enter these contests is to get feedback on my maps, so if you could give more reasons why you rated it what you did, I'd appreciate it. As for the thok-barrier thing, I was not sure how to fix it. But the thok barrier only failed me when I purposely tried to see it if it still worked normally.

I just tested out the circuit maps, and here are the results.

Scale The Earth Zone: 1/10

I got annoyed with this. The paths were very cramped, there's tons of random monitors everywhere, bad gravity settings, and cheap death pits everywhere. It is also C Kick heaven, you need to scrap this one, or sort out a hell of a lot of issues in this level.

Volcano Park City Zone = 4/10

It would of been better if it was bigger, and the fact that it didn't have so much pointless layout in the way such as the annoying fast FOF's which either crush you or just make you stop instantly. It also suffered a lot of software glitches too. These need sorting out.

Scorching Valley Zone: 5/10

Average, but had some problems, the paths were a bit cramped in some places, and bits were very easy to cheat and cut out some of the stages particularly using Speed thok near sides of the walls as I did it accidently twice. The theme wasn't too bad, but it also felt empty in a few areas too.

Endless Woods Zone: 6/10

Despite being similar to Verdant Forest, it was actually better than the other maps. It had good flow, scenery was ok, and it was just an average race map. It would of been better if you resized it more becase it was a bit small for my tastes.

Also, I'd like to note: You've mastered the small things here and there that make your level look good. Not that you needed to know that, but it was worth pointing out in comparison to some of the other n00bs here like Hyperkunx.

BZ4, that was completely unnecessary. Just because I may not be the brightest bulb in the box, it does not give you the excuse to call me that. =/

BlueZero4 said:

That was entirely unnecessary and uncalled for. Feedback on levels is one thing, but I don't ever want to see you throwing around insults like that. Do I make myself clear?

On a different note, guys, come on. All this crap revolving around the OLDC is really unnecessary. If a map may violate the rules, please, PM FuriousFox, don't go on about it here. Please, don't be obnoxious and try to dictate the rules to everyone else. If there's a real issue, that is not the way to go about solving it. Also, keeping a running tab on the votes is fine, but please, don't go overboard. I can fully understand getting excited over the contest, and getting good scores, but it does get annoying when people read through these kinds of posts regularly. Guys, this is supposed to be fun and entertaining, not a bullshit drama-fest. Let's try to keep it that way, alright?

My level was a stain to the community. If I had known that a Cfail unknown to me would get you guys pants in a bunch, then I would not have released it. I thought the OLDC was a chance to get constructive criticism, not to yell at the person who made a bad map. If my maps are that much of an abortion then I will stop making maps. Really this level is going to scraped because it is a 0. No need to fix this train wreck. People had made worse maps than mine, I did not know about the teleportation Cfail. People dislike testing maps for n00bs like my self. It seems like I am called a n00b every where and I am sorry for wasting your precious time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back