Official Level Design Contest Voting: May/June 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was the most interesting part of the level to me. I was just hopping along some blocks when I noticed the platform and asked myself, "What the hell?"

It's because you have it flagged with lower unpegged, Sonicmaster. What the flag does is apply all the textures from the bottom up. Since it's drawing the texture from the bottom up and since the floor around it isn't changing, the texture doesn't move, it just gets drawn farther up as the platform moves. A potential workaround would be to use the sides only FOF type for the GFZGRASS, although that doesn't work in OGL.

I've gotten permission from Sonict via Steam to count the votes. These are the instructions he gave me:

- Don't count BZ4's votes. It's unhelpful; just "music talk." This has been overturned by Rob.
- Don't count Luminous's votes.
- Round down any votes with decimals.

Look at the next page to see the real results.

The enjoyment created by the levels is more important than the golden gradient rewarded for it.

Eblo said:
Damn Ezer'Arch won again.....
Don't let him enter next contest D:

Ezer.Arch you have been voted to be banned in the contest : July/August 2009 Level Design Contest : I hope your happy Eblo.
Anyway

Congratulates Ezar.Arch fireworks for you!

fireworks.gif

fireworks.gif

Congrats Cheese!
fireworks.gif

Yayz for SonicMaster
fireworks.gif

7 cheers for Kuja!
fireworks.gif

Mill Citadel? I was really expecting Hidden Sanctuary Zone 2 or Aquatic Labyrinth 2 to win. Mill Citadel was good, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't expecting it as the winner.

Anyway, congratulations Ezer! Once again, enjoy your winning status.

BlueZero4 said:
:SonicMaster: said:
- Don't count BZ4's votes. It's unhelpful; just "music talk."
I heard that.
lol, it's actually pretty easy to tell what you meant by your metaphors if you have an open mind.

ALSO EVERYBODY SEEMS TO IGNORE THIS:
FuriousFox said:
Although it's not necessary, it's very helpful to make comments about what you liked and didn't like about the map, so the author can improve his skill for future attempts.

I have no idea why votes are discounted all the time because they're unhelpful. They don't need to be.

Kaysakado said:
I have no idea why votes are discounted all the time because they're unhelpful. They don't need to be.

Sure they do. I remember hearing BZ4 mentioning he only makes contest maps to receive helpful comments. Luminous didn't even have comments and his votes were really biased.

Either way, this is the reason why I used my judgement to decide why BZ4's should be disqualified:

Mystic said:
You're an even poorer troll, so I think we can safely discount your ratings as well.

What is the bold referring to then? That is why I decided to do that. If I am in the wrong, I am sorry for making a scene. I wasn't trying to do anything of the sort.

I'll ask Mystic about this in the meantime.

Sonict said:
Luminous didn't even have comments and his votes were really biased.
Luminous was an obvious troll. BZ4 was just trying to be witty. There's a clear difference in how they voted.

Sonict said:
Kaysakado said:
Mystic said:
You're an even poorer troll, so I think we can safely discount your ratings as well.

What is the bold referring to then? That is why I decided to do that. If I am in the wrong, I am sorry for making a scene. I wasn't trying to do anything of the sort.

I'll ask Mystic about this in the meantime.
"As well" is in reply to Luminous's comment, not some hint that BZ4 was to be disqualified. I see no evidence of that anywhere.

Kaysakado said:

Granted, the voting/reviewing guidelines state it isn't necessary, but perhaps it should be. To reiterate, the quality of the level is more important than the golden username, and so people should be taking part in the contest voting not just for the sake of voting, but to help users create enjoyable maps. Without giving the authors constructive feedback, this usually isn't achieved. Reviewing also shows that the user took the time to play through the map and get a general understanding of it, so the person counting the votes can usually determine more easily if the votes were biased or not.

How helpful BZ4's comments are is a matter of debate, but it's clear he put some effort into reviewing the maps from the messages he gave, and either way, they're of more value than filio and Luminous's mere voting, so I believe BZ4's scores can be counted as valid.

Sonict said:
I remember hearing BZ4 mentioning he only makes contest maps to receive helpful comments.
[url=http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?p=335352#335352 said:
BZ4's contest voting post[/url]]In my epic quest to be both entertaining AND helpful, I'm going to compare each level to a song from Rock Band 2.
That is all.

If we want to be able to discount his review because we don't believe its helpful, we should say something along the lines of "The Staff reserves the right to disregard your ratings if they believe it is unsuitable".

BlueZero4 hated Kuja's level design philosophy and still gave the level a fair score, so I believe that the ratings themselves weren't bad in any way. As for the comments, we've counted scores alongside even more useless notes, so why should that disqualify it.

Of course, its your forum, your contest, and its not my problem. I've got a bad habit of butting into the staff's problems, so if its not my place to say anything, I apologize. If you think they should be ignored, that should be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back