SF94-Serv

Can you use the sprites from Katmint's (actually Chrispy's) Rosy.wad to replace the current Amy sprites? They're ugly in my opinion. Especially when they're Teal or Yellow.
Might happen. But don't forget I need Katmint's permission to do that, especially since this character isn't marked as reusable.

If we're going to be redesigning characters, why not add some more as well? I don't mind a little variety of NPCs in SF94, but eventually things get bland with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and old Amy.

I'm not against this, but please keep in mind that is meant to be a port, not a new version of the mod... That said, adding one or two NPCs characters should be easy to implement and would indeed add some variety to this mod. I guess it mainly depends on my lazyness :p

What other characters could I add? (if possible I'd like classical Sonic's characters)
For characters that actually exist for SRB2 as well as have an actually good set of sprites, there's really nothing to choose from. There's only Rosy, Shadow, and Metal Sonic (who would make no sense as an NPC).

I think I'll try to use Rose and Shadow, and eventually add some custom characters that fit for an NPC.

They are still usable (with permission). Not everything needs to be high quality and up to date in order to be "good."
I guess if you want to say they are "good" for v1.0 or v2.0, but most of those skins are so outdated that they look completely alien compared to everything in 2.1 and 2.2. I'm pretty sure the Vector and Espio that exist go back to at least 2005 or 2006.

I guess if you want to say they are "good" for v1.0 or v2.0, but most of those skins are so outdated that they look completely alien compared to everything in 2.1 and 2.2. I'm pretty sure the Vector and Espio that exist go back to at least 2005 or 2006.
Oh please, if you want a good sprite set, what's stopping you from making them yourself? You criticise what's available as not being good enough, yet, no one takes action because reasons. My fault for snapping, but I'm a little tired of these nitpicky criticisms from you. Can't you be happy with what we have? This game is reliant on people with free time and true passion to go out of their way to make what we see as amazing material (minus the half-operating netcode).

I guess if you want to say they are "good" for v1.0 or v2.0, but most of those skins are so outdated that they look completely alien compared to everything in 2.1 and 2.2.

Sonic hasn't been changed since 1.08.
Tails hasn't been changed since 1.08.
A lot of the enemies haven't been touched since 2.0.
Most of the scenery hasn't been touched since 2.0 or earlier.

So, with assets that old, tell me, what from 2.1 makes these skins look completely alien? Most of the game's assets are older than those skins but suddenly they're bad compared to the entire game because one of 2.1's characters got revamped? That doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter how outdated they are, if they look good, they look good. If they don't, they don't. Just saying that they're outdated isn't a valid argument.

Oh please, if you want a good sprite set, what's stopping you from making them yourself? You criticise what's available as not being good enough, yet, no one takes action because reasons. My fault for snapping, but I'm a little tired of these nitpicky criticisms from you. Can't you be happy with what we have? This game is reliant on people with free time and true passion to go out of their way to make what we see as amazing material (minus the half-operating netcode).
I am not a spriter. Just because I don't sprite doesn't mean I can't criticize other sprites. With your logic, game reviewers shouldn't be allowed to criticize games from developers if they aren't developers themselves. "Because reasons"; not everybody has the patience or skills required for pixel art. Why don't you sprite, Duon? At this point, I am pretty happy with what we have on SRB2. Some high quality stuff is being released and more is going to be released in the future. I appreciate people who produce content and sacrifice their time, but that's not going to stop me from voicing how I feel or any issues I see with the content.

Sonic hasn't been changed since 1.08.
Tails hasn't been changed since 1.08.
A lot of the enemies haven't been touched since 2.0.
Most of the scenery hasn't been touched since 2.0 or earlier.

So, with assets that old, tell me, what from 2.1 makes these skins look completely alien? Most of the game's assets are older than those skins but suddenly they're bad compared to the entire game because one of 2.1's characters got revamped? That doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter how outdated they are, if they look good, they look good. If they don't, they don't. Just saying that they're outdated isn't a valid argument.
Sonic already is changed, or at least will be by v2.2.
Tails probably will within the next 2-3 years at least.
Knuckles has been.
Most of the Badniks are fine as of v2.0 aside from Snailer, who was recreated last year, and Buzz.
All of the levels are growing a lot better both aesthetically and gameplay wise, especially with the recent addition of slopes in vanilla.
All of the recent content released or that is being developed is growing in quality too.

I guess what my initial point was is that everything else in SRB2 is still changing and developing into something better. Old wads that the official creators don't even update anymore, that are from years ago, are not in that same flow. The other thing I was trying to say is that those old skins created by the likes of CZ64 and .Luke were more so fair quality in older versions of SRB2, especially back in the Final Demo era; and that most of them are starting to degrade more in quality compared with the new things released/in dev, which I previously explained. Personally, I think Espio.wad isn't very good looking in general. On a lot of frames he looks derpy, and you can blatantly see how it was built on top of SSN's Sonic. CZ's Charmy is essentially the same animation of him flapping his wings for most of the wad. The best one is Vector, who I still find weird in some areas. Also, none of these characters have proper balancing frames and are probably missing others that I forgot. But that was pretty common for character wads around the time these ones were first released.

But whatever, I hope you can understand where I was coming from.

I guess what my initial point was is that everything else in SRB2 is still changing and developing into something better. Old wads that the official creators don't even update anymore, that are from years ago, are not in that same flow. The other thing I was trying to say is that those old skins created by the likes of CZ64 and .Luke were more so fair quality in older versions of SRB2, especially back in the Final Demo era; and that most of them are starting to degrade more in quality compared with the new things released/in dev, which I previously explained. Personally, I think Espio.wad isn't very good looking in general. On a lot of frames he looks derpy, and you can blatantly see how it was built on top of SSN's Sonic. CZ's Charmy is essentially the same animation of him flapping his wings for most of the wad. The best one is Vector, who I still find weird in some areas. Also, none of these characters have proper balancing frames and are probably missing others that I forgot. But that was pretty common for character wads around the time these ones were first released.

But whatever, I hope you can understand where I was coming from.

Allow me to remind you that, as far as I'm aware, not a single one of us on the dev team actually wanted Sonic or Knuckles replaced. Roach made them anyway and they're a lot better so they were included. 2.2 isn't upgrading to some "standard of quality" like you're thinking of. If we get improved replacements for old sprites, we'll take them, but replacing them isn't a priority by any means. I understand that you don't think those old sprites look very good, but you can't associate it with some sort of graphical revolution for the game as a whole.

Besides that, I refuse to accept anything short of a renderer rewrite as a graphical revolution. :/

I'll give you "wanted" for Sonic, but I'm pretty sure there were some grumblies about 2.0 Knuckles.

That doesn't really affect your main point (which I agree with), but I figured it was worth saying.

It wasn't planned to be updated to some kind of standard. What I'm saying is that everything is improving, both aesthetics and gameplay wise. The point we're getting at does feel like a graphical revolution for the game. I'm aware looks aren't a priority of the developers, but apparently a lot of things still are being upgraded. That is the point, not whether it was intended by the main devs.

But basically since all these graphical enhancements are being introduced, older things that used to fit in don't so much currently. MotorRoach and others have sort of "set a standard" because we haven't really seen sprite work as high tier as his. It's kind of like when a really good title is released in a franchise, it kind of sets the standard of what people might expect from other games in the franchise. So it's kind of like how Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD set the standard for Sonic games that were good, and people got disappointed at a lot of future games since they were pretty sub-par compared to those original games people liked. That's the best example I can think of. SRB2 is kind of the other way around, going from worse to better.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back