3D model rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaoman

I hear all around that you can use ACTUAL 3D MODELS on SRB2. Is it true that it has been done? I know it's possible, but how? :eek:

Nope, 99% false my friend. I say 99% because you can't use 3d models but you can use 3D sprites (Like the SADX-sonic wad or the sh-sonic one).

Don't listen to Fish hook, he has no idea what he is talking about (by the way, 3D "sprites" are not 3D, so it would be 100%, but what you said was actually 100% false).

They are called MD2s, and you can use them for any sprites in the game. It can be characters, things, even scenery.
I asked Shuffle, and he sent me in a PM:

Shuffle said:
Okay, create a file called MD2.dat and format it like this..

Code:
PLAY PLAY.md2 9.0 0.0
NWNG NWNG.md2 9.0 0.0

In this example, PLAY is the name of the sprite to replace, PLAY.md2 is the MD2 model to use, 9.0 is the size of the model, and 0.0 is the offset of the model. Create an MD2 folder in your SRB2 directory and put the models you want in there, and name them accordingly. The texture accompanying the model(s) need to have the same name and can be either .pcx or .png format. The texture should be perfectly square so it works on all graphics cards. Also, in case you didn't already know, MD2s only work in OpenGL mode.

Voila. Knock yourself out.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the polygon limit is 4096, which is the default sky height.

100% true
You can use models in SRB2.
I have used shuffle's link model multiple times.

This MD2.dat, is there a program I need to use to make it or should I just type the crap into notepad and save it?

It's not like they were all that good, Chaoman. They really fux up the game when playing them, they don't look appropriate in-game, and the movement is quite choppy (lol@pantyshot)

Well, since there is a polygon limit, and most 3D models you get from professional sites (paying for them by the way) go beyond the limit, yes, but they wouldn't work.

Not to mention, stealing is bad, using other's work instead of your own is bad, and paying $400 for a tree model is bad.

I meant 3d models that are being given away or something. Any1 got some they made? I never saw SRB2 use a 3d model. Heck, I'd settle for just a screenshot or 2 of some1 using a 3d model just to see it.

Go search for Shuffle's Link Model in the Old Releases Section. It's gotta be someplace there...

Someone should make a project to make MD2's of all the objects in srb2

(I wish I knew a free program that could help me make md2s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back