8-bit classics

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, the best games ever made were made in the 8-bit games era.
Such gems as SMB, SMB3 and Megaman games are very rare to find nowadays. In this topic you can discuss your opinion about this subject.

8-bit games are truly fun, but you shouldn't beat down on todays game. What about Mario Sunshine and Galaxy? What about Halo? Final Fantasy7? Super Smash Bros? Need I remind you that most people consider Ocarina of Time, a 64 bit game, to be the best game of all time?

Ocarina of Time? Best game ever? Don't make me laugh. Ocarina of Time might be great (I personally don't care for it, but whatever), but I would appreciate it if people didn't bloat it.

Super Mario Sunshine is okay, but looking back on its controls, all I can think to myself is, "Yikes! Galaxy has this beat by a long shot."

As for games I do like outside of the 8-bit era, Smash Bros. has always been great, the Pikmin series are amazing, Super Mario Galaxy is definitely worth the playthrough, and Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles still remain a favorite of mine. Super Bomberman 2 and Super Mario World are both games I grew up with, and they're still pretty cool.

If I had to recall an 8-bit game that stuck out in my mind, then it'd probably have to be Kirby's Adventure. There are certainly some other good ones there, though, like SMB3 and some of the Mega Man titles.

Blue Warrior said:
Ocarina of Time? Best game ever? Don't make me laugh. Ocarina of Time might be great (I personally don't care for it, but whatever), but I would appreciate it if people didn't bloat it.

People say Oot is the best game ever. I think Twilight Princess had it beat.

Super Mario Sunshine is okay, but looking back on its controls, all I can think to myself is, "Yikes! Galaxy has this beat by a long shot."

With you there, I absolutely HATED Fludd, and the fact they included him in Brawl as a useless move for Mario only angered me more.

As for games I do like outside of the 8-bit era, Smash Bros. has always been great, the Pikmin series are amazing, Super Mario Galaxy is definitely worth the playthrough, and Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles still remain a favorite of mine. Super Bomberman 2 and Super Mario World are both games I grew up with, and they're still pretty cool.

If I had to recall an 8-bit game that stuck out in my mind, then it'd probably have to be Kirby's Adventure. There are certainly some other good ones there, though, like SMB3 and some of the Mega Man titles.

Everything you say there, I can pretty much agree with, though the only time I played Pikmin was sometime ago when I played a demo at a Target stand. Didn't what the hell I was doing but it was still crazy fun.

Chisuun said:

With you there, I absolutely HATED Fludd, and the fact they included him in Brawl as a useless move for Mario only angered me more.

Well, in the Fludd's defense, it isn't entirely useless -- it's just ineffective when splashing people that are on the ground. It's best used to keep others from recovering... especially sometimes if you use it in midair, because of the way the water-blowing physics work. If you try it in training mode, you'll understand.

I agree on 8-bit awesomeness. I downloaded this kicksweet Mii with a classic MiniMario for a face. I also have a PacMan one.

Yeah, 8-bit times had some video game titans in its day.

Games such as Fantasy Zone, and other NES or SMS titles were (and still are) much enjoyable.

But the 16-bit era in my opinion, was the video game golden age.

Forget about 8-bit games, 2-bit color games is where its at.
10cri3r.png

Look at all those colors, its so majestic. Seriously though, I like a lot of older games. I have some "newer" type games too, though not quite as much. To me, it doesn't matter if its 8-bit, 16-bit or even 2-bit color games, as long as I think the gameplay is good, I like them.

I have no favourite era. Just favourite games. :P

Which are Goldeney 007, LoZ: OoT, FFVII, FFVIII, Crysis/Warhead, Halo, FEAR, CoD4: MW, Half Life 2.

All the nostalgia about NES is merely that: Nostalgia. The games weren't all that good, and were waaaay too dependent on the lives system. The advantage of newer is games is not that they are graphically superior or anything, but that the games aren't bound by as many restrictions as way back in NES days.

Long story short, I prefer Megaman Zero 4 (and ZX as well) to any original MegaMan games. I thoroughly enjoy whatever kind of Lode Runner I have on my TI-83 SE, though.

Torgo said:

Wouldn't that be 4-bit? Not that I have any idea about the technicality of those videogames and all, but I spot four colors per sprite.

The 8-bit games weren't the best, but they were the beginning of better games after the great video game crash in th US.
Up until Donkey Kong, games had virtually no goal beyond reaching the highest score.
With the release of Nintendo's first console, games finally had more meaning to them than just simply being the best at playing it. I think that revolutionary titles like SMB, Zelda, Metroid...etc. will always be remembered and cherished for changing games as we had known them at the time.
Blue Warrior said:
Correction, Oot was the best game at the time. :P There are plenty of other games now besides TP that's got it beat.

Blue Warrior said:
Torgo said:

Wouldn't that be 4-bit? Not that I have any idea about the technicality of those videogames and all, but I spot four colors per sprite.

Nope, 2 bits means that you can have a possibility of 4 different things. 00 01 10 11. The type of monitor actually supported 4 bit colors but used a 2 bit color mode for games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter

That is your lesson on stuff you probably didn't want to know.

My favourite 8 bit games were probally Sonic The Hedgehog 1 (GG) & Kirby's Adventure on the NES. Both provided entertainment, and were challenging, and still play them today occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back