This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Tyonic

Intriguing Choices
Welcome to the release of Dimension Break!

This pack varies from original courses, ports from different games or re imaginings of levels from other games.

New For v2.8F: Encore's and Underwater facility (+Small patch work!)

Given the situation that i want to hold on making dimension break v3.
i went out of my way to make some quick fixes to two existing maps.
Since this update isn't substantial enough to bump a number, info about 2.8 will remain here. See the patch notes for details.

Introducing Aquatic Citadel!
In the outskirts of the fractured skies, lies an underwater facility under upmost secrecy.
Studying ways to chemically engineer new ideas within their base of operations. each start is a brand new beginning.

New Encore, New experience!
attachment.php

All maps in dimension break are fully encore supported!
some come with their own unique gimmicks. although, there is one map that was mysteriously left out, stay tuned for details.

So here's the map breakdown.
Map 68: SD2 Dark Valley 2 - Sonic Drift 2 (port)
Map 69: SD2 Milky Way - Sonic Drift 2 (port)
Map CG: NKR Into Dimension X - Nickelodeon Kart racers (port)
Map X5: MKSC - Luigi Circuit (Port): You ever think about having more mario kart maps in your life? well here's one spawning from the gba title mario kart super circuit.
Map WL: Simulation Grounds
Map PS: Twisted Valley: The once safehaven, now twisted megalopolis looming in the stormy night sky, lies racer's with sharp twists and turns around the outer lands of the chaotic city in this challenging map.
Map X6: Aquatic Citadel
Map MR: Musshrom Villadge - Supra Mayro Krat (port)
Map S7: SD2 Death Egg - Sonic Drift 2 (port)
Map 86: Lost Nexus (A.T.A.P)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

What is A.T.A.P?
Another Time Another Place. A criteria for extremely old maps I've built prior to other maps i made for dimensional break.
-Lost Nexus zone: To keep the story short, it's a case of I've bitten off more than i can chew combined with the mass amount of issues i had putting the entire track together. I decided to go back and fix any issues i can find then add it into the pool of hell maps as a special course.
I do plan on making a brand new version of this someday, so think of this as a little piece of my creative history.

Hope you enjoy the release! feel free to send feedback whenever possible as i plan to make updates for this whenever i can.
Note: There won't be anymore map ports for a long time. Short answer, i want to continue building original maps and dabble into reimaginings for the pack. There's only one more map port planned, so what's introduced that'll be the end of map ports for dimension break.

Soc file?

Speaking of ports, in the downloads there's a zip called MinusPorts
use this if you're particularly not fond of the map ports at the cost of record attack.
(Author's note: milky way's excluded however, I found it substantial enough to be sort of classified as it's own thing.)

Thing Type numbers
945 = MT_WMETEOR
946 = MT_METEOR
947 = MT_PHANTOM
948 = MT_ELECTRICPOLE
949 = MT_DEATHEGGS
950 = MT_DEATHEGG
951 = MT_MUSSHOUS
952 = MT_MUSSTH
953 = MT_TIKE
954 = MT_LUBLP
955 = MT_LSCT
956 = MT_TYEE
957 = MT_HSX

Change log:
V1:
-Initial release

V1.5:
-Shortened file name to "DimBrk" to benefit servers
Dark Valley 2:
- Adjusted spawn points to prevent from getting into a pseudo gbj
Milky Way:
- Retooled waypoints
- Repositioned meteors for better clarity and less chance of getting into bumper land
- Slightly extended the turns in death egg
Added Musshrom Villadge

V2:
-Added Staff Replays
Milky Way:
-Added specific death planes to prevent players driving under the map
Added Into dimension x
Added Simulation Grounds
Added Lost Nexus
Added a standalone SD2 Death Egg 2 as a hell map

V2.1:
Added Twisted Valley
NKR Into Dimension X:
-Added Death plane on inside the low gravity portion of the map
SD2 Death Egg:
-Moved To MapS7 to hopefully not conflict with other maps
Simulation Grounds:
-Adjusted Section 2 to be made much easier to navigate while an spb is targeted
2.1 Hotfix:
Made quick adjustments to twisted valley; better distinct death planes and walls, lowered shortcut ramp to prevent accidental deaths, and two additional signs in one of those sections. My Apologies for the situation.

V2.3:
Added MKSC Luigi Circuit
Twisted Valley
-Added minor visual tweaks
-Added a slower section next to the final spring section for players struggling to navigate
-Spring hopping is now safer to navigate
-Fixed the parsing error regarding the music change linedef executor
Simulation Grounds
-Fixed section 1's first checkpoint due to an oversight in building the course.
Milky Way

V2.5:
Twisted Valley
-Completely overhauled the final section to something more easier to approach but scary to fall off.
-Visual Facelift in a few areas.
-Checkpoint issue resolved
-1st set of items pushed away for a more successful rate at obtaining
Simulation Grounds
-More than one teleport destination has been included in every entry/exit point of the map
-Tweaked a few visuals
-added death plane in section 2 if an spb catches you
Luigi Circuit
-Puddles now have hurtboxes like the gba counterpart at the cost of removing a few to prevent random injuries at the start. (hope you like your muscle memory challenged)
Into Dimension x
-removed a few unnecessary death planes
Milky Way
-More death planes were added to prevent another case of gbjs
Dark Valley 2
-Oversight on all checkpoints has been corrected
-Wider springs

V2.8:
General
-All maps are now encore supported (music alts coming soon)
Twisted Valley
-Few layout adjustments and minor safety nets were added
-Glass sprites conflicting midnight meadow has been corrected
Milky Way
-added one last set of death planes within the sd2 death egg portion
Added Aquatic Citadel

V2.8F:
Aquatic Citadel
-Telegraphing issues adjusted
-Last section water chute's strength decreased
-Small visual tweaks
-Fixed checkpoint oversight
Twisted Valley
-removed the right side fencing during the last section
-added an additional checkpoint to ease on severe punishment.
Simulation Grounds
-Flashtic's were added upon exiting and entering a section.
-Fixed one teleporter issue in a vague room

Credits:
Sprite assets: Phantom ruby portal sprites | Sonic Mania
Electric poles, meteors, skyboxes | Sonic Drift 2
Mushrooms, houses, skybox | Supra Mayro Krat

Music: Milky way, Death egg and dark valley | Sonic Drift 2
Musshrom Villadge | Supra Mayro Krat
Knight's Passage | Sonic And The Black Knight
Ryukenden | Soft Maniac
Escape From Dimension X | Nickelodeon Kart Racers
Tornado Defense Act 1/2 | Sonic Unleashed
Mario/Peach/Luigi Circuit | Mario Kart Super Circuit
Emergency Code Duel (Miniboss) | Phantasy Star Online 2

Special thanks to the kart krew discord server for helping me through the entire process on understanding zone builder and advice for building maps

Attachments

• kart0038.gif
    1 MB · Views: 770
  • kart0045.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 441
  • kart0047.gif
    3 MB · Views: 455
  • kart0041.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 11,195
  • kart0040.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 10,789
  • kart0039.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 10,902
  • kart0049.gif
    6.6 MB · Views: 11,252
  • kart0048.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 327
  • kart0082.gif
    7.6 MB · Views: 10,833
  • kart0080.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 10,020
  • Dimension Break Encore.gif
    Dimension Break Encore.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 9,181
  • KR_DimBrk_v2.8F.pk3
    12.6 MB · Views: 1,365
  • MinusPorts.zip
    460 bytes · Views: 369
Last edited:
Dark Valley seems a bit strict on the little ramps, gave me the impression I could do some tech skills using the Speed Shoes similar to GBA Rainbow Road. It and Milky Way/Death Egg could probably also have wider tracks (though I haven't tested these maps in a server to be 100% certain) as for Milky Way it too probably gives off an impression like GBA Rainbow Road to me, I dunno when you have those edges on the maps it feels to me like you'd interact with them slightly different. For the Death Egg section that part especially seems a bit claustrophobic with really sharp turning. It is neat how you essentially combined 2 tracks from Sonic Drift 2 though, especially since the final section is 2 laps on Death Egg which makes this both a sectional map and a looped map. Though I noticed the music card always keeps displaying for Death Egg, wonder if there might be a way around it.

Aside from that, neat maps.

A brand new version of dimensional break is now available to download with a new course from supra mayro krat.

V1.5:
-Shortened file name to "DimBrk" to benefit servers
Dark Valley 2:
- Adjusted spawn points to prevent from getting into a pseudo gbj
Milky Way:
- Retooled waypoints
- Repositioned meteors for better clarity and less chance of getting into bumper land
- Slightly extended the turns in death egg

We got a big update today, Version 2 of Dimensional Break has arrived!
V2:
-Added Staff Replays
Milky Way:
-Added specific death planes to prevent players driving under the map
Added Into dimension x
Added Simulation Grounds
Added Lost Nexus
Added a standalone SD2 Death Egg 2 as a hell map

V2.1:
Added Twisted Valley
NKR Into Dimension X:
-Added Death plane on inside the low gravity portion of the map
SD2 Death Egg:
-Moved To MapS7 to hopefully not conflict with other maps
Simulation Grounds:
-Adjusted Section 2 to be made much easier to navigate while an spb is targeted

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Apologies in advance, I made a quick hot fix regarding some sections in twisted valley

Several of the tracks feel too thin to support large playercounts.

Milkyway has a cool warp gimmick, but it heavily favours speed characters at the start and is rather dull except for the asteroid belt (which is nifty). Iterating on the original to add some 3D elements like hills or sloped corners (perhaps with a thematic black hole on the inside edge?) would help make the track a real standout.

Dark Valley needs some judicious widening and a significant overhaul to introduce something that makes it more than a 2D plane circuit.

I'd have to agree that the SD2 tracks, even though faithful recreations, are kinda boring due to being flat planes. I'd love to see some elevation and slopes, maybe jumps.

Twisted Valley needs some polishing work. First, the attached screenshot shows a missing kill plane. Second, the red spring sections should be changed to speed capped yellow springs. If you're going too fast you tend to go straight into the pit, which feels pretty bad. I'd rather see the speed capped so the jumps can be made even if you boost.

Overall, the pack is fun an unique. Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-17 21.50.43.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-06-17 21.50.43.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 254
A New update is out and that means i got my work cap on to do some patch work, along with a stage that was asked about in another server. This one's mainly for twisted valley adjustments i couldn't get with the hot fix a while ago.
V2.3:
Added MKSC Luigi Circuit
Twisted Valley
-Added a slower section next to the final spring section for players struggling to navigate
-Spring hopping is now safer to navigate
Simulation Grounds
-Fixed section 1's first checkpoint due to an oversight in building the course.
Milky Way

No new track for this update; Hope you like Huge changes however!

V2.5:
Twisted Valley
-Completely overhauled the final section to something more easier to approach but scary to fall off.
-Visual Facelift in a few areas.
-Checkpoint issue resolved
-1st set of items pushed away for a more successful rate at obtaining
Simulation Grounds
-More than one teleport destination has been included in every entry/exit point of the map
-Tweaked a few visuals
-added death plane in section 2 if an spb catches you
Luigi Circuit
-Puddles now have hurtboxes like the gba counterpart at the cost of removing a few to prevent random injuries at the start. (hope you like your muscle memory challenged)
Into Dimension x
-removed a few unnecessary death planes
Milky Way
-More death planes were added to prevent another case of gbjs
Dark Valley 2
-Oversight on all checkpoints has been corrected
-Wider springs

What's this? encore support and a new original map inbound?
Welcome to 2.8 everyone! were almost to the big V3 soon.

V2.8:
General
-All maps are now encore supported (music alts coming soon)
Twisted Valley
-Few layout adjustments and minor safety nets were added
-Glass sprites conflicting midnight meadow has been corrected
Milky Way
-added one last set of death planes within the sd2 death egg portion
Added Aquatic Citadel

Last edited:
Late on my end; apologies in advance as we got a sudden update to dimension break. This is something like 2.5 but on a more minor scale.

V2.8F:
Aquatic Citadel
-Telegraphing issues adjusted
-Last section water chute's strength decreased
-Small visual tweaks
-Fixed checkpoint oversight
Twisted Valley
-removed the right side fencing during the last section
-added an additional checkpoint to ease on severe punishment.
Simulation Grounds
-Flashtic's were added upon exiting and entering a section.
-Fixed one teleporter issue in a vague room

Twisted Valley
A fairly fun track, with varied sections that keep the track feeling fresh throughout and a good flow with an overall decent balance of straights, turns, and areas for drift storing. Can't really say much other than that, a really fun track all around.

Simulation Grounds
As one of the few maps to do teleports for the main layout, this map hits the mark fairly well. The track has an overall good flow and the different paths you can get from the teleporter really makes each race feel a bit different, although I have had cases where I've gotten one of the sections several times in a row before but I wouldst be surprised if it isn't something that is easy to rig so I don't really mind it when it happens.

Aquatic Citadel
I'm amazed this map actually exists as I had no idea you could set it up to have a map randomly select 1 out of 3 paths for the track to take at the race's start. Again, track flow seems pretty alright and all three paths seem to race fairly well. I only have two complains: the first being that i thought the custom signs you have for turns should probably be a bit bigger, I had a little bit of trouble telling what direction they were directing me towards (not bad enough to make the turns not sightreadable but making them bigger couldnt hurt). The second being the ramp leading to the final turn of the track feels very awkward as it sucks you downward and feels like its very easy to just start drifting into the offroad on the inside. Feels like more of a nitpick but I still think its worth looking at.

SD2 Dark Valley 2
Overall a fairly ok if not boring track, with a lot of straightaways with nothing going on and a few easy turns here and there. My only big complain is the barriers making items insanely punishing and bumping a truly scary tactic.

SD2 Milky Way
While the track initially starts off around the same as Dark Valley with long straights and easy turns, around a few turns in the track becomes a lot more interesting and differentiates itself from the prior port, starting with the asteroid section which you have to avoid while searching for the boost pads, making this interesting as a straightaway. From this point forward, the turns start to get a bit harder and overall the flow of the map increases immensely with the final section after the teleport being turn after turn after turn while not being unkind to the player as they know every turn will be to the right thanks to the pits always being on the left. Overall a pretty alright track for being a port, although I do think the sky for the first section feels a bit stretched and feels jarring to look at

NKR Into Dimension X
I'm not gonna lie, I cant stand this track. It starts off great with turns that flow great and feel fun but after the first ramp, the track goes back to mainly long straights with easy turns inbetween. Seriously, one of the sidepaths just ends with like a 10 second long straight, it's not fun for anyone.
kart0094.gif

MKSC Luigi Circuit
A port that feels like it fits fairly well in srb2k, seeing as a lot of inspiration was taken from the original snes game and SC was essentially a gba attempt at the same gamestyle. Overall a good flow of straights and turns that doesnt feel like i'm doing nothing for too long so I do enjoy this track for the most part.

Overall a pretty good map pack, even for most of the ports. You seem to have a pretty good idea on what a good track flow feels like as all your original tracks seem to be good in that regard.

Some feedback in the spoiler below.
I’ll get something more subjective out of the way, but I think you should more explicitly phase out, overhaul most your track ports or move them into hell in a future version (though I think Luigi Circuit honestly is fine enough to stay on the main side, I think you did a pretty good job porting this in). This is probably due to the fact that the SD2 tracks don’t really have a whole lot of spice to them in terms of mechanics without basically taking the layout and making it something entirely new (like what Balloon Panic does, though I'll admit I like what you did with Milky Way), and as Barkley noted above, Into Dimension X very much gets dry halfway into the map (though I think some additions of threatening obstacles/trackpaths might help it a bit). I do think that some of these maps ultimately do detract from the quality of the original tracks you’ve created since I think those are honestly solid to play on.

As a result, my focus will be on specific feedback for your original maps. I honestly feel like your original maps show your mapping skills best.

Simulation Grounds:
  • While I do like the larger amount of custom textures seen here, I do think that the section with the conveyer belts should explicitly outline to a player which side of the track will push them forward, and which provides additional resistance. To a new player, they’re not going to recognize that right away as the textures are more or less colorswaps and it’s not going to be easy to account for variable resolutions that way.
  • I rarely happen to see players even go for the cut at the start of the lap as it skips out on an item and generally is too risky. I think a potential rework might be helpful - perhaps move the first item set to be near the teleporter and let the cut have an item set to increase the strength of it, or perhaps a boost panel set at least.
  • I think, for visual clarity’s sake, the fence in the symmetrical intersecting path should have a clearer, less transparent texture to indicate that a player can’t go there.
  • A more drastic suggestion, but I think the zigzag could see an entire overhaul to be scrapped. I would focus more on it being a potentially faster path, but also be the riskiest - the current section is fairly samey, and players with multiple sneakers are going to slice through it too easily and get an advantage due to iframes abuse or too much good luck. Alternatively, since it’s the fastest section, it can screw over players who may be running ahead and literally do not get good rolls on the teleports.
  • I think some parts of the map might be in need of some polish, namely the skybox. It’s an interesting map aesthetic but I also feel it could be fleshed out in a way to keep the simulation feel.

Twisted Valley:
  • While you’ve already made several adjustments to the diverging paths section, I think the main paths could see a width increase in general - it’s nigh impossible to dodge a mine there and I don’t think that should be the case.
  • At the sake of maybe a smoother transition, the halfpipe section with the boosters’s fence could maybe be more rounded. I notice a lot of people coming down and hitting that fence and I think it might be a bit more natural to have the fence go at an angle rather than be a hard right angle.
  • I’ll echo what I talk about later; your sneaker pads could stand to have the light sources above them to better indicate where they actually are - I know Aquatic Citadel does this so I imagine it may already be in the works.
  • For the section before the final set of dropping platforms, the turn there feels a bit jarring. I think you could either add a booster panel to make it a bit faster paced, or could maybe open up the turn a bit more/push back the wall to make it harder for someone to migauge and bump the wall.
  • For the section right before the finish, I think it could be opened up just a bit more since it’s fairly easy to go flying because of some item or whatnot. I think the speed there is at a good balance, so opening up the end to accomodate for more extreme angles is the play.

Aquatic Citadel:
  • I haven’t played enough on the map to get a fully succinct opinion, but I think the only really rough patch is the end ramp, at least so far having played it only 4-5 times. It feels like it’s too easy to get stuck in the offroad (might be better to say it’s a bit too unorthodox of a ramp to go through if you’re trying to drift-store off of it).

Some of the feedback might be a tad too specific, but I think your original maps best showcase your work and I look forward to future content.

Milky way mostly crashes the game at the death egg part when I had a bunch of add ons loaded along side it, although all the other maps work just fine without crashing.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back