Chaotic Darkness Black (scrmtf_cdblack_prebeta.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJames19119

Why did they remove Grey
SRB2ME did a good job inspiring me, especially to play the game again. Maybe I'll actually continue this damnable things this time...

Anyways, welcome to the ME edition of Chaotic Darkness. This mod will eventually feature new graphics, a large single player campaign, and the best picks of match, CTF and circuit stages that the team Project Darkness comes up with. On top of that, it'll feature it's own host of unlockables and various other stuff too.

The current version is prebeta, that is, it's mostly a semi-lazy update into ME. I've went through all the single player levels and most of the multiplayer levels, had them tested and what not, and brought about improvements based on the new stuff ME brings. There's nothing new aside from that though; there's still graphics I need to convert, unlockables I need to reinstate, SOC to transfer over, CTF levels I haven't bothered improving on yet, and an emerald stage I need to actually finish before bothering to finish a TRUE beta. Don't worry, this will come...sometime. I leave for a two week vacation on the 18th, so expect a true conversion sometime in September, hopefully. Until then, this topic is for it's release candidate.

Maybe next beta I'll also unlazy and post screenshots too. Mental note, set screenshot to a bind in ME already....

Download: http://srpgp.supersanctuary.net/srb2planet/scrmtf_cdblack_prebeta.zip

Be sure to read the readme for a full list of any potential issues you might encounter with this wad. Don't worry though, there aren't many. I like to think I've done my testing. (like to anyways, no guarantees)

Last edited:
Moved to releases, but you've got a nasty bug. If someone gets to Turquoise Beach and completes it, it crashes with a map not found. I'd suggest you fix that rather quickly.

Otherwise the pack feels dated (which it honestly is), but is otherwise perfectly playable.

Oops, map miscounting, my mistake. Updated without the bug.

Anyways hopefully when I get more work on it, it won't feel so outdated

F8 is the screenshot key in ME.

I liked this mod in 1.09.4 and I thought it was slightly above awesome.

Now that I'm no longer pressed by time by an appointment, I'm going to give a few more comments on this.

When ME came out, and I played it, I felt much more inspired to do something with it. Going back to map making, it's still just as boring as ever but the ideas flowing through me thanks to ME's new features keeps it more interesting then, well, it probably should be.

The next release will see a few of the old version's graphics converted over, along with plenty of new graphics. I also intend on SOCing two new enemies. (Yes I'm still bent on that, but don't worry, they'll be more interesting then simply faster enemies) After that, I still have five CTF levels I want to largely improve on (CTF is thirty times better now) and then after that, I'm probably going to redesign Olive Forest 2 and expand on Rainy Ruins 1. The other levels I feel fine with, because despite being rather outdated, I think their design and overhauled layouts can stand the test of time. They have to me anyways.

I don't intend on making any of the levels in the first half of the game very long, because I'm aiming more or less for simplicity, rather then going all out. Finalized, this mod will include roughly 11 zones with two acts each, and at least 7 levels stand alone, together with 7 emerald stages. That sounds like a lot but I'm just far too ADHD to continue on a single theme for so long. :V

As I said, I leave on the 18th, so when I come back in September, I'll start much heavier work on this mod and you'll all potentially see a much better release then quick improvements, fixes and conversions.

Yay! I remember this. This pack is so epic. I'm glad you proted it to ME. <D

Glitch in Rainy Ruins 1!

[spoiler:fda84e39a4]
srb20008y.png

If you can't tell what the glitch is, the platform on the right isn't moving at all.

I somehow managed to crawla bounce to another location, making it possible to get around this glitch, and get to the exit.

[/spoiler:fda84e39a4]

Okay, after actually going in and studying the bug without being pressed for time, I've realized that somewhere along the way, one of the maps was somehow deleted...that map being E8. I honestly don't know what happened because it was there during testing, and somewhere in between...it just mysteriously vanished. I swear to god, this does not happen to normal people...

On another note, I removed the invincibility and speed shoe music, as it was probably toying with match a little too much, considering how long the invincibility lasted. That and I was just lifting songs from Sega anyways.

As far as the Rainy Ruins bug goes, I honestly can't say what's causing it, because everything is tagged just fine. (unless it's the fact that platforms are technically sharing the same sectors for their limits, but I doubt this) Since that's a path less beaten, I left it unfixed since you could get up there via alternate (and easier) ways.

File in the first post updated one last time...hopefully anyways. Unless one of my shoddy editing programs deleted yet another important map, which I would not be very surprised about.

As far as the Rainy Ruins bug goes, I honestly can't say what's causing it, because everything is tagged just fine. (unless it's the fact that platforms are technically sharing the same sectors for their limits, but I doubt this) Since that's a path less beaten, I left it unfixed since you could get up there via alternate (and easier) ways.
And strangely enough, the route I showed (the broken route) is the only route I know to get to the exit. >_>'

OH MY GOD NEW CHAOTIC DARKNESS dsdgprrrgrhrgsgs

Seriously. Awesome comeback JJ. =) It's good to have you back.

I like this but it is NOT Silver freindly. All of the small cracks that have to be spindashed into make it impossable to play as silver. But other than that i love it.

While i was playing this i noticed a couple of things in the first zone, 1: there are too many rings in some places, and same goes for baddies. if you fix this, it may help with the overall look of the levels.

This mod really needs moar luv ;_;
Both from the creator and from other users here. I love this mod, I really do, but it gets virtually none of the attention it deserves when compared to... Some OTHER wads I won't mention. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I still enjoyed this pack.

Wait, this isn't dead yet?

To be honest, this pack feels so horribly dated (even more so than Acid Missile) that it's no wonder it doesn't get any attention. The only solid zone is the third one and even that isn't anything special.

Dated but fun, IMO. Sure, the levels are short, but have some real detail and secrets to find. It's no ERZ2, but sometimes you don't have to be.

I thought the levels were pretty solid. Nothing spectacular of course, just good clean fun. Acid Missile was a little more groundbreaking, because at the time there was no DSZ, and there's STILL no DCZ. I actually kinda preferred Acid Missile to Blue Heaven. Too bad Acid Missile only a three-zone pack. Now if only Morph would come back and rerelease his level pack, I loved Robodome... I think it was the closest thing we had to ERZ back then. I know hoping for Some Guy to come back and do up Metal Flower would be a pipe dream.

Anyway, is this just a straight port or did he add any new enemies/items/etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back